What's new

In-depth interview with Paulo — LOTS of good info you might not have seen yet

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I hated gear stats in IJ2 and I doubt I will like it in MK11 as well. "Augmented" or w/e they are calling it. It seems like a total waste of development time and only splits the player base. Though apparently "geared" was by far the most played mode in IJ2 by the public, even though this community focuses entity on the tourney modes.

So instead of ranked... we will have Ranked with Gear Stats and with out.. same for unranked. So again the player base is split and the competitive players are forced to play only a fraction of the game as nothing they learn in these other modes can be carried to the stage.

The entire idea of stats on gear is just fucking terrible. This is by far the worst thing I have heard about the game.
It is possible that augments might not even apply to online matches. I’m not entirely sure how to take this. Check out this interview with Derek:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-kombat-tether/tkt-exclusive-mortal-kombat-11-interview-with-gameplay-designer-derek-kirtzic/2059818764116285/

Specifically, this question:

With essentially a three-slot gear and augment system in-place, how has this been reworked for MK11 versus Injustice 2?

“Yeah, so it is just the three-slots for gear that you customise cosmetically and the skin, right, like these are just more pieces, but the skin is your real visual. Unlike Injustice where you pieces were your visual, these are more like accessories to your main skin. Umm, none of the gear has stats, they don’t have attributes and things like that, so it’s vanilla. Augments and things like that are more for your local versus and the single-player content. Like you may need to put in specific augments to get through a tower that has Sub-Zero with all these ice things going on or what not, and with our new single-player Towers of Time, you actually have more control than you’ve ever had before.”

trufenix

bye felicia
I really want to know if we can use a AI controlled Kharacters in the Single Player Modes. My 5 year old loves to "play" Injustice 2

Anyone who got to play the games see any option for this?
There's AI options already in the customization menus so its definitely coming back, which mode and how nobody knows. There is a fourth "option" on the main menu thats not even been addressed yet, so presumably thats where it is.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm still a stick player Paulo, and a PS3 one, please don't take away the ability to use my beloved legacy controller, life's pretty hard right now.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
It is possible that augments might not even apply to online matches. I’m not entirely sure how to take this. Check out this interview with Derek:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-kombat-tether/tkt-exclusive-mortal-kombat-11-interview-with-gameplay-designer-derek-kirtzic/2059818764116285/

Specifically, this question:

With essentially a three-slot gear and augment system in-place, how has this been reworked for MK11 versus Injustice 2?

“Yeah, so it is just the three-slots for gear that you customise cosmetically and the skin, right, like these are just more pieces, but the skin is your real visual. Unlike Injustice where you pieces were your visual, these are more like accessories to your main skin. Umm, none of the gear has stats, they don’t have attributes and things like that, so it’s vanilla. Augments and things like that are more for your local versus and the single-player content. Like you may need to put in specific augments to get through a tower that has Sub-Zero with all these ice things going on or what not, and with our new single-player Towers of Time, you actually have more control than you’ve ever had before.”
now I'm super confused.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
good interview!
what paolo said regarding arcade sticks made me laugh though, smh.
Yeah me too. I assume he referred has to our community, overall than the fgc has a whole. I'm sure there options in the menu now that more or less cater to us. Heard a few things that gots me very excited. So stick players hold on.

Loving all the information and content coming out though great interviews.

This sounds great, but what I notice, all these interviewers strictly say ‘single player’. I wonder if they’re not allowed to ask questions about multiplayer yet. I want to know what modes were gonna get or an idea at least.

Dayvon

Noob
She played MK XL today and beat the game with Katana (On very easy) also her name is Katana Jade. They gave her a Birthday shout out on the Watch Tower and Kombat Kast every year!!!
This is too good to be true. That's impressive for a five year old. One can only dream to name his son Shinnok.

She played MK XL today and beat the game with Katana (On very easy) also her name is Katana Jade. They gave her a Birthday shout out on the Watch Tower and Kombat Kast every year!!!
My daughter is Raven (teen titans) Jade (mk)... Good stuff my dude

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
He said secret, Shinnok and Braniac weren’t secret at all and weren’t presented as such.

You want to know what an example of a secret character is, look at Cyber Sub in MKX where you have to input the no variation code and there was no mention of him pre-triborg release.
Cyber Sub was briefly shown in a Kombat Kast, people knew we were getting him going into KP2 release

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Cyber Sub was briefly shown in a Kombat Kast, people knew we were getting him going into KP2 release
They teased.

My point is that he was a character that wasn’t initially advertised and requires an obtuse means to access. The minority of players watch those streams, and even fewer knew/know about how to get variationless.

Somebody telling you a secret doesn’t make it not a secret, it just makes it a secret that you know about.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I still haven't unlocked everything in MKX's Krypt, because I hate jump-scares and spiders.
That "Unlock ALL!" mtx has felt really tempting at times, but I don't want to support something like that.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I still haven't unlocked everything in MKX's Krypt, because I hate jump-scares and spiders.
That "Unlock ALL!" mtx has felt really tempting at times, but I don't want to support something like that.
Same here. I wanted to get everything myself.

The story, we'll have new stuff with that that we haven't had, like there were some branches that we've had in previous games, and we're trying to expand on that. To let players pick their characters where it's possible, instead of forcing them to use characters. So there will some choice involved in the story that will change the outcome.
Different outcomes in the story ? That's awesome !

And a lot of the augments, instead of the gear having stats itself, you put in augments where they themselves will have stats. That way you're not stuck with, if you've got gear that has good stats, and then sometimes you want it to look different, but it would have worse stats, this will let you move it around so you can make your character look the way you want. So we're trying to separate the cosmetics and the gameplay stuff as much as we can.
Thank you ! It was so annoying to spend the yellow money (don't remember the name, but it's the crappy money that WB wanted us to buy with microtransations) that was so tedious to grind just to put the stats you wanted on the gear you wanted (Unless you buy that shitty $10 DLC that allowed unlimited transformation)

For the in-game currency it will be straight stuff you earn in-game and then spend in game, there will be no actual MTX monetization.
I feared microtransactions in this game, especially since it's a WB game. But wow, finally a AAA game without this shit. I also hope they won't release another "Unlock all" DLC, this kind thing is as unbearable as the micro transactions.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
The augments probably work exactly like the some of the augments in Injustice 2 where they only affect the single player modes. Pretty sure that's been confirmed already.

I'm confused as to why nobody's asking them if gear and skins will be shared between both player 1 and 2 in local versus.

It's an interesting enough read (...as any M11K titbit is for the next three months). However, on balance, the exchange was more frustrating than informative --
► Why no question about whether content will be freely usable offline, by BOTH players?
► Why no questions about how the "Flawless Block" system works -- arguably the biggest 'advanced' gameplay change?
► Why no questions relating to how 'grindy' the game will be when it comes to accessing locked content, when compared to IJ2?

It irks me no end, when these unctuous interviewers are either too lay, lazy or limp to ask the 'hard' questions. Most of what was revealed was either known or could be inferred, and most of the questions of import weren't even raised... >annoying / 10