What's new

I'm giving up if I don't get some help here, super frustrated.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
A ducking block also beats throw in this game.

A bunch of great advice has been given throughout this thread already, but I haven't seen this addressed (unless someone I ignore corrected it lol). Throws beat crouch blocking in this game. In fact, throws also beat low pokes in this game, like d1, d3, d4. This system is really really important to understand for Jacqui because it means that if people are trying to block a full blockstring (let's say f31 dashpunch) and are not ready when you do f31 cancel and they are holding crouch block the throw is free. They can't even try to tech. But it gets even better because what happens to a lot of people is they react too late but still try and throw a d1 in there. Because in their mind they know d1 to take their turn back is what they want to do, but they aren't mentally prepared to commit. So they see the cancel, go "OH SHIT" and mash d1, but it is too late. Your grab eats it anyway, enjoy that 14 percent. And another f3 will also beat this late d1 so you will honestly get a ton of free damage off of your opponent losing their minds a little bit.

This isn't just a thing that will work against low level players either. Pros do it too, because it is a forced error. You are putting so much pressure on them that it is impossible to actually process it all quickly enough. That is why in SF you see like 25 frame overheads hitting. Hell there is a thread around here somewhere from mk9 in like 2012 where I talk about how Cage's standing 2 recovers so quickly, your opponent can't actually react in time. So even though it is neutral, you are essentially often at advantage because you know the move is coming and they have to react and discern what move you did. And because poking is on their mind even though they react late they don't hold block and try again next time around, they still try to d3 because their mind is screaming poke and they eat a nice f33 nutpunch for 20 percent into pressure.

So yeah main thing, misinformation that crouch block beats throw. But then building from that your pressure can really open up just from that fact.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
I put the game into a crouch blocking test dummy and throws wif. Does she jail them into a standing position off of these staggers?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I put the game into a crouch blocking test dummy and throws wif. Does she jail them into a standing position off of these staggers?
Put the CPU on crouch, then put it on stance hold. Not stance. They hold down on crouch block like a human and then you'll grab it.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Ok so it wiffs on neutral couch I just as the dummy set up wrong. Lol.

Jesus I suck lol.
I think a legit 80% of people don't know that you have to switch to Stance Hold. I only found out after googling it because I was trying to practice a "hit low while stand blocking" KB. Should be the default instead of "stance" appearing first.

SxS626

Noob
Theres more to opening people up in fighting games than just overhead/low.
say it louder for the people in the back! i will never understand this misconception of no overheads = bad character. overheads are just easy mixups, it's not a defining characteristics of a good character. you ever notice how pro players never really mention overheads in tier lists, but they always seem to gush of mid strings? mids are far more important overheads

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
say it louder for the people in the back! i will never understand this misconception of no overheads = bad character. overheads are just easy mixups, it's not a defining characteristics of a good character. you ever notice how pro players never really mention overheads in tier lists, but they always seem to gush of mid strings? mids are far more important overheads
Yup I've been educated in this thread.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
@ZeroSymbolic you can learn from any good gameplay footage, period. I don't care if you can only understand one thing, learn that one thing. Then come back and learn another thing. Aside from learning to play Jacqui, the most important thing is to learn to play the game. And learning how the game works will only come with seeing better people play it.

When you say you didn't have the pieces, what do you mean?

It all comes down really to 3 things:
1) Understanding the game -- when to block, when to poke, what's punishable, when it's your turn, when to jump or not to jump, when to wake up, when to throw or expect a throw, when to back up or move in, how to defend yourself, etc. This is all pretty general stuff.

2) Understanding your character -- what each string's purpose is, and when to use it. Try watching some tournament gameplay and just call out what strings you're seeing. And if you don't recognize a string, go to practice mode and figure it out. Notice when and how they use the special moves.

3) Understanding your opponent. Reading their patterns is what gives you the openings. Do they always walk back at a certain point? Do they jump repeatedly in a certain place? Do they always sit there holding block after you do certain things? Do they keep using the same string or move? Do they do similar things after you knock them down? For example, if someone blocks every time after I hit them with a poke, I'm going to throw them. And then when they start expecting the throw, I'm going to use my mid string the next time to catch them trying to crouch or hit a button, etc. That's basic 'yomi'.

Here's a basic example of Yomi:
I notice that my opponent (Jax) usually tries to counterpoke with d1 after he blocks my poke. So I poke him with d3, walk just slightly back, and then immediately punish him for it. (Level 2 is that if he's smart after this, he'll use a full footsie string next time instead of mashing a poke, to catch me walking back. But most people you play at your level won't even get that far). These little minutiae are part of opening people up w/o mixups.

Last edited:
You need to accept that she is not a well rounded character like erron, subzero, scorpion, etc. Yes, pretty much everybody will try to zone you, because up close is were she shines. If you don't want to deal with that, just pick another one (even coach steve -jacqui player- said he also mains scorpion to deal with heavy zoners). It will always be an issue for her, deal with it.

Check interview at the end

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I haven't read the entire thread so this advice has probably already been given, but I'll add my .02 just the same.

If they are just walking back and poking you out of attempts to get back into effective range.. bait the pokes. The term is used to death but shimmy a little, start to walk into their low poke range and step back just before hitting that range. Have a whiff punish option on deck and ready. Learn to bait pokes and use the whiff frames to cover a jump in as well.

Additionally, walking up and quickly crouch blocking the pokes leaves you at advantage.. it may not be much but advantage is advantage, and can be used in some way. Whether that's to cover longer startup options, or just let you microwalk forward a bit and crouch block the next one, only to rinse and repeat.

You can use her string cancels as well to fake the advance and bait some option or other of theirs.

I don't blame you for struggling with this, as it's an aspect of the neutral in FGs that doesn't get talked about as much, or if it does it's glossed over.. it's something I've struggled with myself (and still do occasionally). What has helped me is to remember that Im playing another person who is actively trying to react and predict what I'm going to do, and stop/punish me accordingly.. if they can do it, I can do it. Add an additional step to your decision making and instead of thinking "I'll walk up and hit f12" think "I'll walk up and hit f12 and I think he'll step back and check me with d3, so instead I'll walk up and hit f1 a little earlier to try and bait out the d3, then punish with..." Etc.

Just some thoughts.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Ok so it wiffs on neutral couch I just as the dummy set up wrong. Lol.

Jesus I suck lol.
I kept recording myself holding down-block and setting it to playback. It took forever to find the stance-hold feature. They don't make it easy.

A ducking block also beats throw in this game.
Ducking blow does not beat throw in this game lol. Empty duck does.

You have to understand how the opponent is playing with Jacqui and use staggers / godlike frames to your advantage.
Look at her frame data so you can better understand what to do on your turn / their turn.
Are they just sitting in crouch block and react to overheads? Hit them with the staggers and feint in a throw. Are they sitting in crouch block and just mashing? Stagger and hit them with your own down1 or down3 and make them respect your turn.

She has so many button paths on F3 alone, F31, F31 cancel --> throw / repeat / down3 / down1, F314 F31~dash punch F31~kick.. and then you can also do the practically the same thing with 112 string where 11 is +2 on block, I mean that is insane.