What's new

I'm giving up if I don't get some help here, super frustrated.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I do go to lab, it's just that it's only me here, and only so much can be learned from practice dummy.
I know. It's difficult but don't lose hope and keep working at it. See if there is a scene in your area that you could go to and play with experienced people to learn from. Online is not the best environment.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I know. It's difficult but don't lose hope and keep working at it. See if there is a scene in your area that you could go to and play with experienced people to learn from. Online is not the best environment.
Agreed I've tried to create something in my area but there just isn't a lot going on here, it has a huge scene for smash and a little for Street Fighter but the MK scene is in Detroit Proper, and I don't venture down there outside of sporting events.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I didn't mean quitting the game, I meant moving to a different character, because I was worried about throwing a lot of time into a skillset I wasn't strong at, but now that I get how the character works it's fallen into place.
Moving to a different character is not a bad idea.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@ZeroSymbolic When we played earlier, I started winning once I realized you weren’t going to stop pressing buttons. You like rushing down with Jacqui, but that means you spent the entire match just trying to get in a steamroll with nonstop pressure and pokes.

Even though she’s a rushdown character, you still need to be patient and make reads. I’d also recommend adding more throws to your game plan. Her staggers into throws are really good. Just 3 throws is 42% damage.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Moving to a different character is not a bad idea.
It's a habit I fall into a lot where I fall in love with characters that are exceptionally hard or ill suited to me, because others feel too easy. Like I can't snipe very well but I put a ton of hours trying to make Widowmaker happen in overwatch. I didn't want to do that to myself again, but I don't think that's the case here. I just had a fundamental misunderstanding of what this character does so well. Now that I got it a lot of doors just opened up because I have a lot of the execution down, now I know where to apply it.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
@ZeroSymbolic When we played earlier, I started winning once I realized you weren’t going to stop pressing buttons. You like rushing down with Jacqui, but that means you spent the entire match just trying to get in a steamroll with nonstop pressure and pokes.

Even though she’s a rushdown character, you still need to be patient and make reads. I’d also recommend adding more throws to your game plan. Her staggers into throws are really good. Just 3 throws is 42% damage.
I think you're leaps and bounds a better player than I am but I would like to try again sometime with the new tools I've just gotten.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
It's a habit I fall into a lot where I fall in love with characters that are exceptionally hard or ill suited to me, because others feel too easy. Like I can't snipe very well but I put a ton of hours trying to make Widowmaker happen in overwatch. I didn't want to do that to myself again, but I don't think that's the case here. I just had a fundamental misunderstanding of what this character does so well. Now that I got it a lot of doors just opened up because I have a lot of the execution down, now I know where to apply it.
There is no such thing as too easy. You need to move away from the patterns in the mentality that inhibits your progress.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
There is no such thing as too easy. You need to move away from the patterns in the mentality that inhibits your progress.
Yeah but you got to have fun too. Like I could hop on Erron or Scorpion and probably win more matches, but it wouldn't bring me any joy.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I'm not asking for buffs at all. I know I have to be doing something wrong, and I am trying like hell to make this work. I've been at it for 2 weeks and I just don't understand how it works. I feel like there is a fundamental that I do not understand, or worse I think that I understand something that isn't so.

From what I can see in her moves Crouching block is the correct defense for everything except hop-punch, jump-in kick, jump-in punch, b1, and the end of b3,2,4.

The problem is that at a certain distance, a little outside of jump but not quite full screen, they can beat jump-ins on reaction. They release down and block b1 on reaction, and they can similarly fuzzy guard the b3,2,4 string. Leaving me with no idea how to approach them. A ducking block also beats throw in this game.

F3 is a 9frame mid but most if not all characters in the game have a low poke that is faster than that, or mids with more range, or both. Literally all they have to do to escape is crouch block and then mash a low poke to escape.

That's what it FEELS like to me, but I also realize that can't be the case. Like I know there is something I can do but I haven't a clue as to what that thing is.
Frame trap with safe strings and make the opponent respect your plus frames.

Throw blocking opponents often.

Make them scared to block and they will open up.

Chase down retreating opponents with the dash punch when the opportunity presents itself.

Catch standing opponents when close with B32 and cancel into whatever you want..

Always remember to poke poke poke throw throw throw..

Win win win....

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think you're leaps and bounds a better player than I am but I would like to try again sometime with the new tools I've just gotten.
I'm not saying that, I'm just saying what I noticed while we were playing. Once I realized you weren't going to respect any hit or block advantage, it became pretty easy to build up momentum. I'd just recommend dialing it back a little and keeping your opponent guessing as to whether or not you'll contest their plus frames or your negative frames.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I can't advise you on how to improve as a player, you're probably better than me already.. But I do know that HappyPOW plays Jackie and pretty much mops everyone. He is playing in the Summit of Time so maybe check that out and get some tips on how he runs her.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
incorrect!!! Shao Khan is awesome.. I mean he may not win majors but you will beat many if not most you meet online... and he is easily the most fun character to play for me.
I meant that he has no mix-ups and it's even harder to open people up with him without 50/50's.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Dude you know this is the best looking MK ever right? and Jacqui has a sexy victory pose...I aint giving up on THAT!

Seriously some characters will always have their flaws. no one can win 100% so just pick a character you like imo...

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
I dont think anyone can uppercut a 13f dashpunch on REACTION. You're just fucking it up and doing it too often. Once they start neutral ducking you can use b22 to close distance.
The answer to crouch blocking is shortjump 1/2. It has great range, great hit advantage and if you use it sparingly they won't block it often.
To use this character properly you have to condition people to block the cancelable strings, then you can start canceling into cancelable sweep, throw, hop2 etc. She has the tools to get around zoning and to close distance, you just have to be super patient and if you can't its simply not a character for you.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
lol i can take you in training mode and show you how to deal with some stuff if you want. or stream for you if thats easier etc. just lmk ill try to help you out

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I meant that he has no mix-ups and it's even harder to open people up with him without 50/50's.
If you cannot open people up without a straight 50-50 your opinion on the character at a high level is irrelevant. All this cluelessness about shao kahn will no doubt get him overbuffed.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
If you cannot open people up without a straight 50-50 your opinion on the character at a high level is irrelevant. All this cluelessness about shao kahn will no doubt get him overbuffed.
I said it's harder, not impossible. Read again and go away.

Sazbak

Noob
"If I try to walk in they can low poke before I can start up anything. It's incredibly frustrating, and I have no idea what to do about it. "

I haven't labbed Jacqui but in general my gameplan against this would be:

Baiting with forward-backward movement and punish the low poke if that's their tendency.
Do it until they are conditioned to do something else e.g. a slower advancing high/mid.
In this case your own low poke might be quicker and you can start going into the proper range and stuff their slower normal.
If they start to respect your own quick poke and they choose to be passive when you walk-in/dash-in you can freely start your offense with whatever you want.

Rock-paper-scissor game

Here is an explanation of footsies via Sonicfox