What's new

IGN bashing the game already

C-Sword

Noob
From IGN

I've seen Injustice: Gods Among Us and while it was nowhere near its 2013 release date, I'm not impressed. Yes, it's a cool trailer, but the fighting itself seems a few years behind the curve.

Last year's Mortal Kombat marked a return to greatness for the franchise and for NetherRealm -- the game corrected the problems of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Bones exploded in grotesque x-rays, blood gushed, and the action looked fluid. The snippet of Injustice I saw did none of that and really looked like a step backward. Wonder Woman lifelessly rocked back and forth, heat vision didn't seem all that damning, and the few matches I saw seemed predictable.

See, each Injustice arena has two or three sections for fighters to transition between -- you can go from the main floor of the Batcave to the boat dock below or kick an opponent through a city building to a different part of town. But these didn't seem like spur of the moment events. You have to have a build up to it and then watch the animation play out as an elevator slowly rises and we see it shaking and hear sound effects. Similarly, there are objects in the environments that you can use against your opponent, but you have to be in the exact right spot to grab the car and slam it on the foe. It all seems stiff -- like you'd tell your friend "Ooo, come over here and let me do this move!" They seem like forgettable gimmicks you'll rarely really use; kind of like button-tapping "Free Fall Kombat" in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

And then there are super moves. A lot of people got hung up on why Superman could be hurt by Batman in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, but as a comic fan it never bothered me. He was worn down by magic -- explained, move on. However, Superman's Injustice supermove has him throw the opponent into space, fly up and slam the bad guy or gal back to the arena. How is anyone supposed to contend with that? Of course, according to Boon, "We're obviously going to have a pretty elaborate story," so maybe I'll eat my words.

But perhaps I'm being too hard on Injustice -- this is the first time it's ever been seen, I didn't play it, and there are cool aspects to the game. For the starters, everyone's costume seems darker, making me think we're in a parallel world without justice -- Crime Syndicate style. Wonder Woman can switch between lasso attack and sword/shield stuff, Solomon Grundy yanks knives from his back for attacks, and even though I wasn't impressed with environmental moves, they do vary by character (Batman will slam your head into the car, Wonder Woman will slam the car onto you).

Still, Boon told me back in 2010, "While [Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe] performed well, it certainly created a hunger or a lust for a little bit more bloodshed and a little bit more of what Mortal Kombat has been notorious for." Although this isn't a Mortal Kombat game, it seems to me like it's going to leave people in the exact same spot. This is a T-rated fighter that looks a lot like Mortal Kombat, but it's lacking the brutality that makes that game standout.

But again, maybe Boon will make me eat my words.

"To be honest, it's going to have more blood than we had in there today," he said. "Our environments are going to be damaged, but the characters will also have damage on them as well. It's going to be a pretty brutal experience. Our goal is to push the envelope of what we can do."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/0...-step-backward

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I hope that there's at least the option of disabling environmental factors..

And that it's at least well balanced in this respect. If it's as diverse and balanced as MK9 is now I will buy it.

Keyword here is IGN. The world agreed to stop taking them seriously a few years ago
IGN isn't just one writer or one opinion. So I konsider what the article states and their reasons behind their statements (given that there is reason).

NariTuba

disMember
The problem with eviroment objects and transitioning around stages is the same as with fatalities: after seeing them 3 or 4 times they stop being cool... except fatalities dont interfear with gameplay.

Now if the stages and the eviroment objects would be generated randomly each fight; that could lead to something special.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
IGN isn't just one writer or one opinion. So I konsider what the article states and their reasons behind their statements (given that there is reason).
Fair enough, but it's very hard to take them seriously when so many authors are so biased.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Who cares? I don't care who likes the game, or what ratings it gets. Especially when almost no gameplay has even been revealed yet. Regardless, the only opinion I care about as far as liking something or not... is my own.

Just saying.

I understand wanting to defend a beloved developer or franchise, but come on guys, really? This is based on a non-playable preview of a game at least a year out from release. Let's wait at least a few months before we start throwing fits over different opinions.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
I understand wanting to defend a beloved developer or franchise, but come on guys, really? This is based on a non-playable preview of a game at least a year out from release. Let's wait at least a few months before we start throwing fits over different opinions.
Alright, fine. but I still don't like him. So when the game comes out, I'm going to remember this so I can make fun of him and make a fuss about it later

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
People going way out of their way to bash the game are like the people who get out of bad relationships and make the new boy/girlfriend pay for the mistakes of the ex.

Moral of the story: Stop taking your MK9 beefs out on Injustice!! lol

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Does anyone remember the MK E3 demo?

I do, It was early in the development, the graphics were not what they are now, and the DEV's could barley string a 4 hit combo together, but I don't think anyone worth their salt could take it for more than what it was, A FIRST SCREENING DEMO!

Lets see it and play it for ourselves first.

One of my favourite quotes from the review is ''It all seems stiff -- like you'd tell your friend "Ooo, come over here and let me do this move!''

Have these guys played a fighting game before? No one voluntarily puts themselves in the corner of an arena, That's part of the meta game, you try keep yourself away from the corner, or if you are one type of character you will try everything in your power to put the opponent in the corner, and when ever you end up there when you don't want to be, it is generally against your will, obviously forced into it by the opponent, either by a traveling combo, or move that pushes you there, so this in fact is exactly the plan, it is a great new mechanic, and it would only add another dynamic to the corner of an arena, apart from reaping the rewards high damage wall combos and wall chip damage, now we have situational advantages of being in the corner as a defender.

Idiots.

Albo

Noob
Why would the reviewer mention it if is wasnt true?
Maybe he just assumed based on the "snippet" of gameplay he saw or maybe he was told by NRS either way we'll probably find out soon. Even if it's rated T, that's not an issue for me. This is a dc fighter not an mk game and as long as it's a good game, competitive and balanced, then i'm happy but people can't expect NRS to make every game they make a blood fest. Besides there are other fighters out there without gore and extreme violence that are great games that people love. Substance over style.