What's new

IGAU will offer quick patching, tournament players who 'hated' Mortal Kombat enjoyed interactables

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
One of the latest DestructToid articles has us gaining more and more information from Adam Urbano of NetherRealm Studios. When Injustice was first announced one of the biggest concerns was the stage intractables for obvious reasons, but NetherRealm has thus proved that they are literally working with the community to make Injustice a game that everyone enjoys. Although it has been stated that the stage interactions can be turned off, in this article Adam mentions the many tournament players the studio brought in to balance and break the game helped tweak these areas. In should also be noted that there were several players who "hated" Mortal Kombat.
injjokerraven.jpg
The other huge bit of information has to deal with the patching system Injustice and that they can have a patch "LIVE" within only 24 hours of notice to Sony and Microsoft:

"When I last saw the game, one of my biggest worries was that the stage interactables would break game balance. Thematically, superheroes knocking each others across the map makes sense, but the implications of what it could do to game balance was unsettling. Thankfully, NetherRealm has confirmed that you can easily turn them off from the stage select screen. If you fancy a certain part of the stage to, you can also select your starting position.

Surprisingly enough, tournament players seem to be reacting positively to them. Speaking with senior producer Adam Urbano, "I should mention we've had a lot of tournament players that specifically hated Mortal Kombat, and they've help us tweak and balance the game...come and play, and they loved the interactables, which really shocked me." Continue reading, here.

stage.jpg

Credit: MrBlackMonday via TRMK
Source: DestructToid

Attachments

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The coolest thing about the stage interactions is that everyone will have to get used to it. It's a relatively new mechanic. Obviously the stage transitions aren't new, but that will take some getting used to as well. I honestly think that stage interactions will be very important in this game. It's like adding a new element to spacing and positioning other than the corners and the distance from your opponent.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Destructoid is my favourite go to site since its community based ,,,
But damn,,, never came across more h hate for the game in that website, and when the reasons they are doesn't even make sense

Destructoid is my favourite go to site since its community based ,,,
But damn,,, never came across more h hate for the game in that website, and when the reasons they are doesn't even make sense
"OMG NO LOBO NO BUY!" WTF guys?

Gotta say, those super-duper high-res shots of Raven vs. Joker prove that if they didn't put in a model viewer as in previous games, they've wasted a lot of effort. All that detail in those costumes that would be lost otherwise.

LesMore

Top 8 Injustice Frosty Faustings VII
More of the same news... but good to hear nonetheless...
Injustice is going to be so AWESOME...

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Jesus Christ what a horribly designed website.

On topic wise, what confuses me is that they said something similar about the patching system for MK9; that they could change certain variables without the need of a full patch. Ironically, this was either never used, NRS actually listened to the complaints of 'stop changing the game', or WB put the hammer down and told them to cease all support for MK9.

Either way it will be interesting to see how it pans out for Injustice.

they shouldn't have added turning stage animation off. Its going to create a divide if a group or tourny wants to turn it off while others don't

RYX

BIG PUSHER
they shouldn't have added turning stage animation off. Its going to create a divide if a group or tourny wants to turn it off while others don't
and we'll tell them to stay free

I like stage transitions better than anything. Gives some easy damage for people with crappy corner games if they need the comeback, or to reset the environment/put them back in midscreen where they're better.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
There's at least one stage (Atlantis, but Ferris Airfield might be the same) that doesn't have stage transitions regardless of the option. As with any other game, those players have the ability to pick that stage/those stages if they're the current loser in a set. For the first game, I think tournaments'll use the in-game feature letting both players pick a stage and then the game picks one of the two, so they'll have a 50% chance to pick it then, too.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Just hate to see a fragmented community.
I don't think the majority of players really use filters when searching for matches outside of connection either way, though. Presuming the option would be "Interactables: Any/On/Off", most people would filter for any anyway. I know I would, I prefer transitions from waht I can see but I wouldn't not play just cuz they're off. A bit premature for that judgment but I can't imagine my caring enough either way.

There is no need for "theory fighting" guys.

If stage interactables are a broken gimmick, then they won't be used.

If a few stages have more broken objects then others, those won't be allowed in tournament play at all or only allowed to be chosen by the loser of the last match.

If they are well balanced then they will be universally adopted.

Arguing from a position of ignorance just because you anticipate a backlash doesn't make your arguments any more valid.

Can we please stop it with the whole "players who hated MK" crap already? It's not that they hated the game, it's the fact that they realized that a game like MK(much like other fighters) have dedicated players who are the ones who actually evolve the game to the point where those players who "hate" the game realize they have no chance of winning unless they decide to sit down and actually play it.

I wish more of these top guys were like JWong and ChrisG. Guys who actually enjoy the game but admit it's not their cup of tea and just play it to support the communities.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Is there some indicator on what objects are intractable/transitions? I'm worried about trying to grab random stuff in the background and getting blown up for it.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong

I'm sure that's certainly the case for some people, but it'd be pretty ignorant to say that there aren't people who hated MK9 as a game. I've definitely met people that do. They sincerely just don't want to play the game and can't comprehend that people do. We don't know whether or not these players in question did, but it's not really up to us to pretend to be experts on unnamed testers' opinions.

Unless you've got the roster of testers and their opinions of the game are well documented hither or thither, let's not try and speak for them.