What's new

If Nightwing ever gets nerfed...I am going Wonder Woman (An Analysis)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So, all of this talk about how "Nightwing is OP" is starting to piss me off...

Let me just say this. If any of you played a competent Wonderwoman, she makes Nightwing look like a red headed step child.

I am not talking about the fact that she just beats him in the matchup...I am talking about tools.

Lets compare shall we?

Nightwing in Escrima mode has a 6f +21 block string. This string is crouchable, and backdashable on the last hit however is quick enough to catch most people off guard. It is a really good string.

However, since it is a true high, he gets obliterated by people that poke him in this mode. Seeing as his only response to pokes other than his true high is a 10f mid, he gets locked down rather easily, especially against characters with + or neutral poke pressure. He cannot counter poke with his own d1 because it is 9f. So, he literally can't do shit against people with poke pressure aside from backdash and run away.

Lets look at Wonderwoman in Lasso Stance.

B11 is a 10 frame forward advancing hitconfirmable into over 40% mid. It is also +3 on block. Making a follow up 7f. Or making her d1 3 frames. For most characters B11, B11, B11 will be tough to deal with in itself. It is a really good fast mid hitting frame trap.

She has insane aerial control here, her dash mixups into jailing drop 2 into B11 is VERY good. She can zip across the screen whenever she wants at pretty much all times.

Her b2 has insane range and is hit confirmable into a very safe lasso grab for +14 on block.

She OTG's with her air dive, and has a completely invincible wakeup spin that leads to mad damage. This however is fair as it is baitable, however is hard to punish on block due to pushback. (this is fair.)

Lets compare the other two stances where one would think Nightwing would hold an extreme advantage.

Staff Stance vs Sword Stance.

Nightwings staff stance is very very very good. His d1 is his meat and potatoes here however.

He needs it to get his offense going. A Nightwing without a d1 in staff mode, is done for. Without being able to get his 1 string starterd (11f starter) he would be awful.

So, he has a +1 d1 (frame data says +5, but it's not) Everyone and their mother cries op because of this move.

His flying grayson. Safe on block (negative however), covers three quarters of the screen, but has insanely good vertical hit properties. This move is good, but can be blown up if used to much by simply reading it, neutral crouch and blowing it up with a d2.

His block strings are limited to staff spin and ground pound. Staff spin builds great meter and does amazing chip, but it will leave you negative. Meterburning it leaves you at hefty advantage (+19) and is essential for locking down opponents in the corner. Ground pound can be poked out of/full combo'd out of EVERYTIME on block if you see it coming. If it gets out, you are left at +9.

His ground pound forces movement, which is it's purpose however, against characters with aerial control, it will not net you the results it does against characters that do not have the mobility.

His wakeups in staff mode are limited via the fact that most can be simply jumped over. If you have an air dash, you are going to force nightwing into blocking rather quickly.

Sword Stance.

+4 7f d1. Yes you read that right. +4. All of you Nightwing haters comprehend that for a minute.

Granted wonderwoman does not have the options that Nightwing has off a D1, she does have her meterburned shield bash to make you respect her follwups giving her almost limitless access to strings. Oh, she is +9 after a meterburned shield bash btw.

One of Nightwings biggest draw backs in staff stance is that he cannot use any aerial interactables anymore, his jump arc is too low. Wonder woman is not inhibited by this and instead gets an insane crossup j2. She retains her regular jump arc, but loses her ability to air dash. Still, not bad for a power character when they have access to D1 d1 d1 shield bash and can throw shit in your face.

Once you respect the d1, it opens her up for j2 and shield bash which she can then once conditioned pretty much walk all over you with.

Nightwing has fuck all for ambiguous crossups unless he is in the corner.

The damage differential for both characters is insanely one sided in favour of wonder woman. It takes wonderwoman two combos to kill a bar METERLESS.

It takes Nightwing 3 to kill you at the cost of 1 meter each (staff) or no meter (escrima).

Before you all cry QQ level up, this is in fact my way of leveling up and explaining the matchup to myself and comparing the characters. This is definitely a hard match for Nightwing, but it also shows How Wonderwoman can do everything Nightwing can, but have more options at all times by doing it.

Do you agree or disagree?

I encourage your thoughts and criticisms.

TLDR?

Summarized Version

Nightwing: Great frame traps in escrima, however, most start on a true high or are slow startup. Complete shit to get out of pressure, good runaway game and mobility, great dash. 9F d1. No great crossup combo potential. (J2 and J3 are poor crossups)

Great lockdown in staff mode, wonderful +1 D1, good chip damage, safe specials (unless they whiff) but poor wakeup coverage against crossups. Also has to trade his mobility and interactable usage (aerial) for staff mode. No crossup tool other than abusing Flying Grayson crossups.

Wonderwoman: Lasso: Constant Midhitting 10f +3 advantage coupled with a 6f d1 (-2) B11 reps are 7f each after connecting one b11. That's a safe mid hitting loop hitconfirmable into over 40 percent damage. High Damage combos Instant screen presence with ia charge, OTG's with dive bomb, ignores most wakeups with b2 disjointed hitbox and has air dash mixups. Excellent D2 anti air.

Shield Stance: +3 D1 (Nightwings is plus 1) Meterburned Shield bash for +9 mid advancing hits aerial as well. Retains mobility and interactable usage, but loses air dash. Does mad damage and has a great cross up J2 to compensate for air dash mixups.

Nightwing is the best character in the game right now. That is the general consensus in Florida tourney scene at the moment. Probably because he has been complained about much less than other characters and therefore has hid from the NRS nerf bat quiet well since the initial release relative to other characters. In addition NW players haven't really represented at major tournies.

His zoning tools are all safe and brain-dead spammable unless you are facing BA (dat divekick), Scorp (dat teleport), or SM(dat air laser)... hmm maybe throw BG in there as well. His staff 50/50's are fast, excellent range, hard to block really easy to hit confirm and lead to 40% combos.

Your options are lose the chip war or attempt to get in and get blown up by staff. Only BA, SM, and KF to a lesser extent can really handle him.

The wakeups are the worst part of his game but only against crossup jumpins; he makes up for it in other areas.

If I was going to nerf him I would nerf chip, meter build, and frame advantage on block for wing dings, ground spark, and staff pound.

Other then that I think the character is legit.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I think Nightwing will become less of a problem when people figure him out. He's kind of one of the few characters who's gone under the radar so people still have a really tough time against him.

Not to say he isn't one of the best characters because I think he's too good NOT to be, but claiming OP seems silly.

chores

bad at things
other fun facts about ww:

(lasso) 14f low started that is +on block
(lasso) any grounded wiffs halfscreen distance or closer can be punished with straight tiara MB into b113
(lasso) d12 can be hit confirmed into tiara MB for full combo [i know everyone can link off d1 but it is hard for me to hit confirm anything but, disclaimer, i am not a jedi]
(lasso) bracelet parry that can absorb projectiles and provides damage boost

(sword) very fast parry
(sword) very good advancing f3
(sword) shield rush can be "block confirmed" mb to give +9 frames and you have a ton of time to confirm the MB

nightwing is a beast though. the stance characters are just plain legit.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
Wonder Woman vs. Nightwing is a really interesting matchup. 6-4 at worst imo, despite my initial crying about it a few weeks back.

It may seem backwards, but you should be in Escrima when WW is in Shield stance most of the time. Once you can get your pressure started, then go back to staff and push the advantage. Keeping your mobility against that stance is vital.

Against Lasso, it is imperative you get into Staff so you can read jump-ins, obvious air shenanigans, and interactable attempts, and blow them up with your air normals (most notably j2). His range will in Staff will help him contest tools like WW's b2.

In the end, Nightwing still owns the ground in this matchup, like he does most of (if not all) his matchups. Once he's in, he's in. You just HAVE to rush her down, can't play too patiently like against other characters.

--------
@the rest of the discussion:
After discussing the character with my scene, given their experience against me and us watching videos of other Nightwings, he is honestly perfect how he is and I hope NRS never touches him (but hey a low to combo off of and a true ground-to-air AA wouldn't hurt lol >.>). He is the Dante of the game. Insane pressure and has a tool for pretty much every situation, but with some flaws attached. You can't buff him or nerf him without either making him top 3 or neutering his neutral. Just leave the character alone.

-------

That all being said, I will never stop maining Nightwing.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I cannot fathom what they could ever do to touch him, he needs everything he has lol.

Also JokeStroke

If your scene is putting Nightwing above Superman, Black Adam, Green Lantern, Killer Frost, Scorpion...you need a better scene :p

Nightwing is top 10, but I am telling yas, wonderwoman is a better Nightwing to an extent.

AYSAMO

Noob
Nightwing is not easy to defend against. You have to respect his staff pressure because push blocking him usually ends up with you eating a flying grayson or j2 and getting put back into it. The way I deal with NW is to just let him run his pressure and wait for the only low string he has, if he goes for anything except staff spin after it you can full combo punish.

Other then that, people really suck at backdashing and playing defense in this game. People are really sleeping on being able to armor b3 through gaps in pressure too. Once everyone actually levels up their fundamentals you will see that NW is very good, but he is perfectly balanced imo.

Nightwing is the best character in the game right now. That is the general consensus in Florida tourney scene at the moment. Probably because he has been complained about much less than other characters and therefore has hid from the NRS nerf bat quiet well since the initial release relative to other characters. In addition NW players haven't really represented at major tournies.

His zoning tools are all safe and brain-dead spammable unless you are facing BA (dat divekick), Scorp (dat teleport), or SM(dat air laser)... hmm maybe throw BG in there as well. His staff 50/50's are fast, excellent range, hard to block really easy to hit confirm and lead to 40% combos.

Your options are lose the chip war or attempt to get in and get blown up by staff. Only BA, SM, and KF to a lesser extent can really handle him.

The wakeups are the worst part of his game but only against crossup jumpins; he makes up for it in other areas.

If I was going to nerf him I would nerf chip, meter build, and frame advantage on block for wing dings, ground spark, and staff pound.

Other then that I think the character is legit.

Grundy can fight nightwing rather well. Defense trait can be used if you think zoning is a problem but in my experience grundy handles it well. WCC for wing dings into a combo and his dash actually causes staff pound to miss him. He can punish if done roughly half screen away.

I will be at a loss for words if they ever nerf Nightwing. One of the few characters that actually takes thought to play, is well rounded, cool and isn't shit
You are defending a character who is on the same level as the pre-patch Scorpion.

Yet you thought Scorpion was the most "overpowered" and were complaining for your life?

Please, be gone.

LEGEND

YES!
You are defending a character who is on the same level as the pre-patch Scorpion.

Yet you thought Scorpion was the most "overpowered" and were complaining for your life?

Please, be gone.
when did i ever do anything other than say Scorpion was overrated or point out his flaws lol

And ya, a character with multiple bad MUs is obviously broken.

:rolleyes:

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Nightwing is really two different characters with a "tag team" trait. One character (staff stance) is great against grapplers and rushdown, and has moderate tools against zoners, but extremely weak against flying characters. The other character (escrima stance) may be better against flyers, but is low tier at best.

If for some ungodly reason NRS decides to nerf staff stance, they need to buff escrima stance. Perhaps an "up" option for MB Wingdings?