What's new

Question If MK9 was never patched, what would the tier list be now?

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Daggers daggers daggers! And they actually did chip. And she had a vortex.

I think Cyrax would be top though

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Dark_Rob

Noob
Don't forget Raiden. Raiden was unbelievbly good when the game came out. His teleport was super fast. He had the vicinity blast trap. So much of his stuff was plus on block. His air teleport recovered so much faster. He could zip across the top of the screen and much of the cast could do nothing about it and he dropped down so fast at the end.

Infact, looking at all the previous posts in this thread im not sure MK9 was made better with all the patches. Oh im sure from "This isn't fair" point of view many people would consider it better now. But once the final patch was released in late 2011 it wasn't long before one character came to stand head and shoulders above the rest, Kabal. Out of all the patches Kabal only lost one thing, his F32,NDC block infinite. Which turned out to be a rather small part of his overall devastating toolset. In short, Kabal got to keep nearly all of his dirt while Kung Lao,Raiden,Sindel,Subzero,Smoke and lot of others lost theirs. Aside from Cyrax who seemed to just dig up more dirt whenever he lost some, most of these characters never found anything to compensate for what they lost, regardless of whether it was considered broken or not.

So most of MK9 2011-2012 was dominated by Kabal. He certainly won more tournments than every other character in the cast combined. And most would agree he has no losing matches, some would say he doesn't have any matchups he doesnt win.

My thought is if none of these other characters had their dirt taken away from them, essentially de fanging them, their would have been alot more characters capable of giving Kabal a fight, they might evenhave givin him a losing matchup or two.

The game might have been dirtier overall, but as long as Kabal was in the game it was going to be dirty anyway, its just that he got to keeep all the dirt. And the best way to fight dirt in a fighting game is with more dirt, better dirt. If more characters had gotten to stay as dirty as Kabal, I don't think Kabal would have ruled MK9. I think it would have been a bigger variety of characters, which is what everyone complained about during 20Kabal12. That all they saw was Kabal.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Rain would have still his great dash. Top 10 char.

Skarlet would still be the best zoner of the entire game. Top 4.

gdf

Noob
To be honest I personally thought it wouldn't be much different, including Kenshi. Which most seem to be ignoring.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Characters with infinites would be higher tier.

Kabal and Kung Lao would be top 2, Kenshi would no longer be a threat to a lot of his former victims.
Cyrax, of all the infinite-users would likely be #3.
Smoke would be a powerhouse and Raiden would be quite a contender.

Also interesting to note: because Kano was never nerfed, Jade could possibly be the worst.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Cyrax had a meterless infinite and was able to do a combo off of a throw, wich led to huge meterless damage. Basically, one net and you were dead, literally.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
pre Patch
1. Cyrax (broken Frame traps, Infinity, less recovery on Net)
2. Kabal (Block Infinity)
3. Kung Lao (Double ex Hats, Multi Dive Kicks, etc)
4. Skarlet (SLIDE SLASH, Super Zoning, Safe Tele)
5. Smoke

The rest is a toss up honestly, all these 5 characters where overwhelming broken on their early gameplays

Cyrax was possibly the most retarded character, and he is still retarded after being patched at every single version.
Kabal only his block infinity got removed
Kung Lao Spin had a pushback, and his damage was stupid good, i remember blake doing 60's% with him
Skarlet you couldn't even get near her, her Zoning was the fastest in the game, with the fastest recovery, she had a glitch to perform 2 moves in a single red dash, used to extend her combos, ppl complained a lot because she was hard to deal with online.
Smoke could throw into Smoke bomb combos as reset.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Characters with infinites would be higher tier.

Kabal and Kung Lao would be top 2, Kenshi would no longer be a threat to a lot of his former victims.
Cyrax, of all the infinite-users would likely be #3.
Smoke would be a powerhouse and Raiden would be quite a contender.

Also interesting to note: because Kano was never nerfed, Jade could possibly be the worst.
Kano was pretty bad, still, in vanilla. Jade had a good u3 and decent damage. Sheeva and Baraka were even worse than Kano.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Kano was pretty bad, still, in vanilla. Jade had a good u3 and decent damage. Sheeva and Baraka were even worse than Kano.
Baraka was like one of those Tarkatan Soldiers you fought in the challenge tower lol.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I vote for Cyrax being #1 in unpatched.

If he gets you to block a JIP he has a 50/50 between meterless infinite that was insanely easy (21 net, teleport, jip 21 net, teleport to infinite) and 60%, or more with modern cyrax combos, off his cmd grab. Even if you read cmd grab its absurdly hard to tech (2f window). At least with Kabals F32 infinite you could take the second hit crouched to get out.

However, if Kabal had anything that was a block and hit infinite, that could have made him #1. I never looked into it, but if his F3 or F4 was a block and hit infinite in unpatched, he would be #1 probably.

No way KL is #1 in unpatched with these two clowns. He was just super easy to use day 1.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Man I wish Meme Generator was working for me. I'd put something like

Community claims they knew how fucked up Kabal was from the beginning.
Requests nerfs for Jade and Kano instead.
:p

That aside, call me crazy but Sonya would most likely be #1. IIRC she could set up an unbreakable block infinite with D4~MS cancels.

Reactions: RYX