What's new

Question If Kabal had no dash cancel, would he still be tournament worthy?

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Yeah like top 10 or something. Take out his exND armor and he'd be top 20 wat.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
This is the same community that thought Kung Lao was no longer tournament viable after his low hat got nerfed. We all know how hideously wrong that turned out to be.

To answer the question though, yes, the only standout problem are the players themselves crying that the Kabal matchup and making reads during NDC pressure isn't handed to them on a silver platter.

kronspik

Noob
Think about Kabal without dash cancels compared side by side with Reptile. They'd be fairly similar then.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
I still think he would be retarded lol. if anything where to happen with kabal he zoning would need to be nerfed IMO.

Lulzlou

Noob
Think about Kabal without dash cancels compared side by side with Reptile. They'd be fairly similar then.
You can't even compare that.

Reptile's dash is so much faster and less punishable than kabal's ND. Its around 10 frames faster

kronspik

Noob
You can't even compare that.

Reptile's dash is so much faster and less punishable than kabal's ND. Its around 10 frames faster
At footsie ranges where Reptile's dash doesn't whiff, they would start to serve similar purposes. They become risky threats that the opponent has to respect. Outside of that range they are different though.

Lulzlou

Noob
Or make the dash cancel exclusive to EX Dash and give him an actual reason to use all that meter he easily builds.
That's like saying get rid of Kenshi's armor or make freddy's zoning unsafe like noob's. You are ruining the character and doing that will only make us look bad.

What needs to be done is buff the lower tiers so they can keep up with the top. Taking away something from a character this late would be unfair to all of those who practiced it intensely.

kronspik

Noob
That's like saying get rid of Kenshi's armor or make freddy's zoning unsafe like noob's. You are ruining the character and doing that will only make us look bad.

What needs to be done is buff the lower tiers so they can keep up with the top. Taking away something from a character this late would be unfair to all of those who practiced it intensely.
Though I agree with you, I think removing Kenshi's armor doesn't really hurt his design as much as taking away nomad dash cancel hurts Kabal. Kenshi's character design isn't based on armor.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

Armor is a huge part of Kenshi's game. Kabal's armor is just overkill. But I wouldn't agree to nerfing Kabal or Kenshi without nerfs on a lot of characters. If you took away Kabal's armor, which he doesn't even need, I'd give you more recovery frames on a blocked spirit charge and taking away EX Rising Karma armor.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
He would be a lot less fun to play as if he lost his dash cancels, its the one that makes him stand out against the other characters.

He needs nerfs, but it should come from other areas.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
What makes kabal so good (besides the block infinite) is the iagb and the ndc together. It allows him to control the screen like no other character in the game. In my opinion he would not even be top 15 without the ndc. iagb is not a threat without a move to make you hesitate to just dash crouch block and push him to the corner, and the threat of the commited dash does that, while also allowing it to be cancelled and go straight into pressure.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Armor is a huge part of Kenshi's game. Kabal's armor is just overkill. But I wouldn't agree to nerfing Kabal or Kenshi without nerfs on a lot of characters. If you took away Kabal's armor, which he doesn't even need, I'd give you more recovery frames on a blocked spirit charge and taking away EX Rising Karma armor.
Dont sit here and tell me about an overkill....I can give you just a couple of simple examples where the kabal player should put his pad down and watch:
Johny Cage (mostly corner)
Kenshi (corner with meter)
Kitana (Corner)
I'm sure there are more things out there....

The only thing that needs to go is the ability to cancel ex dash...period

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Dont sit here and tell me about an overkill....I can give you just a couple of simple examples where the kabal player should put his pad down and watch:
Johny Cage (mostly corner)
Kenshi (corner with meter)
Kitana (Corner)
I'm sure there are more things out there....

The only thing that needs to go is the ability to cancel ex dash...period
I think if a Kabal ends up in the corner, he deserves it. With that mobility of his? If gets cornered, it's his fault. And he already has one free way out! If he has a breaker, he can simply let himself get hit, break, and he gets a free dash out full screen away! He shouldn't have an armored way out too.

Not personal! I'm actually a fan of yours. :)

AC1984

Kaballin!
Its either he gets out of the corner or he dies (most likely loses most of his life). There is no middle ground....
Breakers are not really a solution....its like telling me to break on Cyrax....its a variable, if you have meter you "go" free...If you dont...well too bad