What's new

General/Other Identity Crisis: Over.

Boxy you're like me. I mained Cyrax for awhile as well but always came back to Subby. You used the word satisfaction and it's true. I don't feel great about taking advantage of an exploit in the game and getting an 80% combo. It's fun to watch but it's not real.

Now baiting someone in to an ice clone for full damage, that is truly satisfying. Landing a fully charged B2 is satisfying. Cornering the opponent so well they can't get out the entire round is satisfying.

I've tried maining other fighters, even Rain and Smoke lately, but it just doesn't feel right. I feel comfortable with Sub more than any other fighter by far.

I understand Brady's passion for this character and why he keeps coming back to him. I think he has great tools and is fun to play.

All I need is that clone and D4 and I'm good to go baby.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
See? You know what's up, GLGL :D.

It's amazing the things you can do with a properly placed Clone. Especially up close.
I need to make measure of how closely I can get away with laying them against certain characters.
All it takes is an extra step, and a stunning amount of people will eat it assuming it won't materialize.

NKZero

Noob
OneBoxyRobot I'm glad you made the right decision bro :). What I love about Sub Zero (and his players) is that nobody has a back-up Sub Zero. If you play Sub Zero, chances are you are going to main him because of the bond. I cannot explain my love for this character and he will always be my main. Ice clone, ice blast FTW!

Nothing is more satisfying than seeing "FINISH HIM!". You do a freeze or EX freeze on the opponent. As he is falling down, Sub Zero faces you and freezes the screen. "Sub Zero wins." *Ice forming sound in the background* Opponent falls. Sub Zero stands tall. Epic.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Man, I feel ya. I've mained every character for at least a few weeks a piece lol. It probably helped with match up experience though. It ended up being the characters I stayed away from the longest I enjoyed playing with, Liu Kang and Johnny Cage. Good luck to your Sub run. If you're on PSN add me for some games sometime. TotteryManx.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
Yeah, I do honestly feel that you're the most consistent with SZ, I'd say that you should stick with him! I go through the same crap constantly too, though. I don't want to go Kenshi, Jax and Kabal like everyone else but man...that $12k talks.
You forgot Cage and Smoke. I'll never not be a Sub main but I'm aware I need some other characters in tournament play. There are really only about 4 or 5 matchups I really worry about though.

Enenra

Go to hell.
OneBoxyRobot I'm glad you made the right decision bro :). What I love about Sub Zero (and his players) is that nobody has a back-up Sub Zero. If you play Sub Zero, chances are you are going to main him because of the bond. I cannot explain my love for this character and he will always be my main. Ice clone, ice blast FTW!

Nothing is more satisfying than seeing "FINISH HIM!". You do a freeze or EX freeze on the opponent. As he is falling down, Sub Zero faces you and freezes the screen. "Sub Zero wins." *Ice forming sound in the background* Opponent falls. Sub Zero stands tall. Epic.
I secondary Sub. Get at me :p

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
You forgot Cage and Smoke. I'll never not be a Sub main but I'm aware I need some other characters in tournament play. There are really only about 4 or 5 matchups I really worry about though.
Kenshi, Lao, Kabal, Liu Kang, Kitana = my biggest concerns.
The rest are do-able, to a degree, but these 5 give me the most grief, especially the first two.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
Honestly man i don't fear Liu Kang with Sub Zero. Maybe I haven't played the right Kang players but he doesn't usually give me more than I feel like the character can handle. You have to find a way to put the Liu Kang player off balance and make him play Sub Zero's game.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Lol... the blue is so much easier to read.
Welcome aboard.... have fun sifting through our horrid forum to find the info you need. Don't be afraid to PM guys for info.

NKZero

Noob
I secondary Sub. Get at me :p
If I'm not mistaken, you main Reptile? I forgive you in that case because he USED to be my favourite until they gave him that retarded lizard form (especially the hideous look in Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon). I cannot stand the MK1 costumes either in this game because they are too beefy lol.

Enenra

Go to hell.
If I'm not mistaken, you main Reptile? I forgive you in that case because he USED to be my favourite until they gave him that retarded lizard form (especially the hideous look in Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon). I cannot stand the MK1 costumes either in this game because they are too beefy lol.
You are correct :)

I like my men beefy. No, I'm with you, bring back his UMK3 style look.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
So far, I'm having a good deal of luck against Smoke & Jax, two of the matchups I came into this looking to master.
My anti-air 22's & D3 D4 Clones are on point, Slide precision's improving, and man if I don't love driving people fuckin' bananas turtling them out until they make a boo-boo.
As far as his unbearably bad fights go...let's just say I'll have something Boxytastic in store for each of them :D.

Thank you guys. Reed, Enenra, Crash, everybody. Support rules.

As far as Babying Kabal goes...well, that's more Johnny's job. There's a lot that can be said for an opponent that more or less makes Clones obsolete...but I have a plan.

The icy beat goes on...

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
So far, I'm having a good deal of luck against Smoke & Jax, two of the matchups I came into this looking to master.
My anti-air 22's & D3 D4 Clones are on point, Slide precision's improving, and man if I don't love driving people fuckin' bananas turtling them out until they make a boo-boo.
As far as his unbearably bad fights go...let's just say I'll have something Boxytastic in store for each of them :D.

Thank you guys. Reed, Enenra, Crash, everybody. Support rules.

As far as Babying Kabal goes...well, that's more Johnny's job. There's a lot that can be said for an opponent that more or less makes Clones obsolete...but I have a plan.

The icy beat goes on...
How are you feeling about the Kenshi matchup? I can tell you from a lot of offline experience it can be very uphill for Sub Zero.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
How are you feeling about the Kenshi matchup? I can tell you from a lot of offline experience it can be very uphill for Sub Zero.
IMO...against Kenshi in top form ala Pig, Blackula, Joker, THAT good a swordsman...it can't be done.
Sub has no way in. At all. Freeze gets reflected, EX Freeze gets whiffed out if he's hit in mid-projectile, EX Slide is a waste of meter because it's either gonna get blocked and punished, or you're gonna get minimal damage and rush into a plethora of punishment/GTFO opportunities he has at his disposal on hit OR block, and his TK attacks are too fast/recover too fast for him to rush down/counter with anything but a really lucky 22, which also eats punishment/pressure on whiff or block.
Even if this was pre-1.05 Sub, damage & Puddle reset and all, it'd STILL be an uphill fight.

@Tom Brady, MITDJT, Dark_Rob, Pig Of The Hut, Blackula, am I wrong?
I've been looking for hope for this matchup everywhere, but I can't find any :(

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
IMO...against Kenshi in top form ala Pig, Blackula, Joker, THAT good a swordsman...it can't be done.
Sub has no way in. At all. Freeze gets reflected, EX Freeze gets whiffed out if he's hit in mid-projectile, EX Slide is a waste of meter because it's either gonna get blocked and punished, or you're gonna get minimal damage and rush into a plethora of punishment/GTFO opportunities he has at his disposal on hit OR block, and his TK attacks are too fast/recover too fast for him to rush down/counter with anything but a really lucky 22, which also eats punishment/pressure on whiff or block.
Even if this was pre-1.05 Sub, damage & Puddle reset and all, it'd STILL be an uphill fight.

I feel like you're dead on. Your only options here if you insist on fighting it with Sub Zero are reading his zoning well enough to trade or jump over something with a jip but this requires a pretty decent sized mistake on his part for you to be able to do it since you have to guess what's coming. Just like anyone else if you get the freeze into b121 you have a shot at getting more damage but it's only a shot. Odds are if you do get to him he will have a breaker by the time you do. If he is aggressive and tries to push you to the corner you can give ground and look for an ex slide to land him there instead. That's all I have on that one. Maybe I've missed something.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I feel like you're dead on. Your only options here if you insist on fighting it with Sub Zero are reading his zoning well enough to trade or jump over something with a jip but this requires a pretty decent sized mistake on his part for you to be able to do it since you have to guess what's coming. Just like anyone else if you get the freeze into b121 you have a shot at getting more damage but it's only a shot. Odds are if you do get to him he will have a breaker by the time you do. If he is aggressive and tries to push you to the corner you can give ground and look for an ex slide to land him there instead. That's all I have on that one. Maybe I've missed something.
The worst part of it is that chances are, that Kenshi's more often than not gonna be waiting for that Slide :(.

It's bananas, man. Blind goddamn bananas.

Tong Lung

What is a breaker?
Welcome to the cool crew xD I enjoy playing sub zero because you have to play strategically with him, it's like a game of chess or poker if you will. I don't know how much you know of the character but I'd like to give you a few tips if you don't mind: 2,1 is better than 2,2 for pressure since it's 0 on block while 2,2 is negative. You can complete the 21 string with either 2 or 4 and cancel into a clone to control space or lure them into jumping into the clone.

After an ice clone setup you could dash in and continue pressure or you could grab them or you could even go for a f4,freeze since many ppl crouch block after a clone. Don't use 2,2 as anti-air since it's inconsistent, I recently learned to use 2,freeze as anti air and it works much better. after that you can do the standard b1 (whiff),2,212,slide follow-up for about 23%.

If you're serious about playing sub you have to learn how to block-dash to approach your opponents faster and safer, if possible only use the slide in combos unless you anticipate that it will hit.

If you want to use the b2 reset then as you know the timing has changed since the iceball got 10 extra frames of duration. I've found an easy way to connect b2 when the opponent is frozen on the ground.
If you do 2,2,freeze you can immediately dash once then change stance and charge the b2 after that, it will almost always hit then. If you want to practice the timing more precisely you can go to training mode and put the dummy on jump and try to time the b2 after a 2,2,freeze.

With sub zero patience and planning is the key to success! I'm by no means an expert but I'd like to throw in my 2 cents anyways, hope you find it useful.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

Yes. Just put the controller down and get a beer. I had a sub on my team for a period of months last year. He beat me one single round ever.