What's new

General/Other Identity Crisis: Over.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I've officially converted from Cyborg to Bi-Han.

Since NEC, I've been in a constant loop searching for the cure to my ills. No matter how much time I spent with Cyrax/Cyblax, I could never get him to the level others have taken.
I can't AA Throw like Noobe. Can't CG like Krayzie. Can't reset like Maxter.
I thought it was me. That no matter how much work I'd put into it, no matter how much I dedicate to memory and put into practice, I'd never be able to master this game and take it to the level the peers and partners I've made in Kombat have reached.
It's fucking CYRAX. How could things be going so wrongly?
Drove me crazy. Disheartened me to the point after I got taken out by Shady at Winter Brawl, I drank my defeat away and seriously considered walking away.

Then I thought to myself, the next morning after trying to shake off the hangover and figure out what the hell happened to my shoes...
"Why in god's name didn't I play Sub-Zero?"
He's been my faithful #2 ever since I started playing him. Costume 2. Dark. Extra evil.
I know my Ice Clone placements. My pokes and prods. Luring out zoning for EX Slides.
22's, pressure mixups, AND like his ol' pal Smoke, he has his very own F4 Lottery.
(Even though that's more of a case where if your F4 tactic doesn't work, you're gonna fucking die.)
I'm more attentive, more locked in, more precise, more tactical and manipulative...no matter how many people I take in the lab, how many ADD moments I have bouncing between flash-pan ideas, and in spite of his frozen flaws and shortcomings, there is NO ONE in this game whose skin I feel more comfortable inside of than Bi-Han's.

So from this point forward, Cyrax shall take the place of the Lieutenant's lieutenant, and all further efforts made by me, Box, will be made under the flag of SUB-ZERO.

Including blue letters. They're prettier than yellow, anyway.

So...how much pain and suffering am I in for?

Enenra

Go to hell.
Dawg, I feel you. As anyone who pays attention to me knows, I had a serious identity crisis. I'd main Rain for a day, Sub for 2, Noob for one, Smoke for 3, etc.

Only recently have I found my true main; Reptile. And I'm going to work hard on getting him higher and higher.

You aren't alone, brother. Good luck with Sub.

I'll be zoning you out from over there :p

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
Clever wording there boss. Maining BiHan opens up the possibility of Noob in case you get them Brady frustrations :)
I'm watchin you... *fingerpoint*

::Edit::
OOO OOO OOO does this mean I can call you IceBoxy from now on? :D

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I WANTED TO! The minute I read (before MK9 dropped) that we'd be getting Robo Frio, I was giddy with anticipation.
But when I play teleporters, I always make it a big part of my metagame, and his...well, blows :(.

@SunnyD, next time we go at it online. All day. I <3 Sub mirrors.
Fuck, 90% of Sub's useful tricks, I learned either in mirror matches, or from Brady tirades.
It's my favorite kind of fight, the patient waiting game.

Enenra, it feels good, man. Finally, my MK life is no longer random select russian roulette.

Creepy00

Noob
Probably out of everyone, i feel your pain the most. I thought exactly what you thought about cyrax but with my subzero. I ve main him since release when breakers leaving him exposed, later when i on my own i found sub ice puddle reset before anyone else, then got taken out but cyrax s no where there, and all, the character earning armor, which make me have to readapt and learn the match ups all over again. I ve spent tremedous time and dedication to this character that i can even play the laggiest match online and do good or even make comebacks without meter for x ray nor i care what level my subzero was to others, i will just play him.... When i first used sub in one of my local tournaments, i knew my sub was something big in for, however things felt down and got tired over sub s bad match ups. Which i pick up a better character with better offensive tools than sub. That is when i pick up cyrax, later as a recommendation from Teef, i started to play Cyblax. My cyblax is alright but as quite as good or close to my subzero, no matter as how much i keep practice with him, i cant to get a level of satifation with him. Hell, he nor the rest of the cast isnt as fun to play like with sub, maybe i like subzero even through there is times i wish my character have better tools. One thing i know for sure, Flawless victory will decide what character i will main and have as a back up.In addition, i look forward to take against the bigger subzeros in the tournament including tom brady and lionheart. Regardless, it is good to have another player in the sub community, once proud and respect, and now looking forward to reshape it...... Hit me up boxy, we should play Psn: Subzero142

Espio

Kokomo
The blue writing is a remarkable change, lovely.

On a serious note, if you're playing who you click with it's not so bad, the bad matches.

Congrats on figuring out/resolving your identity crisis, I remember I had one of those where I didn't know whether to keep Jade im my rotation or not, it feels good not having such a crisis:) .

The most important thing is to be comfortable with your character and have fun, if you're doing that, you're golden.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
You will feel much pain when you're matched up against SZ's worst of match-up's. However, as time goes on and you gain the experience, these match-up's won't feel quite as painful to you as you find your own unique ways to make it more of an even fight. Hell, you will probably even welcome the bad match-up's at some point because you will have turned into a masochistic pain-lover who loves to be whipped and spanked and be on your knees as you tell your mistress "Please, madam, may I have some more?"

..............................oh wait. I'm talking about myself now. :confused:

But in all seriousness, you will really start to enjoy SZ when you start to get in your opponent's head with his b1,2,1 mix-up's.

"Welcome to the party, pal!" - John McClane

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
@SunnyD, next time we go at it online. All day. I <3 Sub mirrors.
Fuck, 90% of Sub's useful tricks, I learned either in mirror matches, or from Brady tirades.
It's my favorite kind of fight, the patient waiting game.
im online right now :D

Theme

Noob
Speaking of Identity Crisis... Dude I cannot for the life of me just pick 2-3 characters to master. I know everyone (cant play everyone to the max, but I can do well with them) except Sheeva, Jade, Baraka, Striker, Skarlet and Freddy (Dont have them). Everyone else Ive at one point, wanted to main. God damn this game and its diversity... :(

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
satisfaction
Thank you! THAT is the word I was looking for.
I think that's ultimately what drove the wedge that led me here; for all his damage, resets, Bomb traps, etc., Quan's Runes, Ermac's 30-40% off of a Lift, no matter who I went to...there's nothing to me quite as satisfying as Sub. Especially when I can go into a match with Cage, Sonya, Jax, Raiden, all the matchups that give me nothing but grief with my other characters, and if I can't take control at the start, I at least know I'll only be a wisely-placed Clone or 22/B121 away from regaining momentum. The more unorthadox characters (Cy, Cyblax, Quan), I'd play painfully predictably...but Sub, who's arguably way simpler by design, I somehow get away with murder because most people don't expect a complicated fight against him. I've always said, his biggest strength is his minimalism. He doesn't need a plethora of tools at his disposal, because the few strengths he does have are heavy enough to keep him in the fight.
He's not H.A.M....He's Q.A.M.: The Quintessential Aquamarine Mindfuck :D.

Honestly, who doesn't get driven crazy by jumping into Clones? It's the best.

im online right now :D
Sadly, Lady Box has dibs for the time being. Skyrim...it eats peoples' lives, man.
Speaking of Identity Crisis... Dude I cannot for the life of me just pick 2-3 characters to master. I know everyone (cant play everyone to the max, but I can do well with them) except Sheeva, Jade, Baraka, Striker, Skarlet and Freddy (Dont have them). Everyone else Ive at one point, wanted to main. God damn this game and its diversity... :(
Have you ever considered devoting your power to the Lin Kuei?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
You will feel much pain when you're matched up against SZ's worst of match-up's. However, as time goes on and you gain the experience, these match-up's won't feel quite as painful to you as you find your own unique ways to make it more of an even fight. Hell, you will probably even welcome the bad match-up's at some point because you will have turned into a masochistic pain-lover who loves to be whipped and spanked and be on your knees as you tell your mistress "Please, madam, may I have some more?"

..............................oh wait. I'm talking about myself now. :confused:

But in all seriousness, you will really start to enjoy SZ when you start to get in your opponent's head with his b1,2,1 mix-up's.

"Welcome to the party, pal!" - John McClane
:D. Thanks, man. And worst case scenario, if I'm maining the guy who's the biggest uphill climb out of my roster, that means I have a pocket full of fucking pain and suffering should I cross Kung Lao or Kenshi.
Kabal...sad to say, I do better against him with Sub than I do anybody. I still die, constantly, but not as badly.
But the Hat and the Sword...they were not meant to be frozen. No.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Seeing as alot of people are talking about thier own decision problems, my advice would be to watch tournament play of EVERY character they can find. It usually inspires interest in a character when you see them at their greatest potential. I would have never tried out Kenshi if it wasnt for Pig's amazing tournament play (eventually dropped him, didnt like his slowness)

"Observation is a passive science, experimentation an active science"
Claude Bernard

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Seeing as alot of people are talking about thier own decision problems, my advice would be to watch tournament play of EVERY character they can find. It usually inspires interest in a character when you see them at their greatest potential. I would have never tried out Kenshi if it wasnt for Pig's amazing tournament play (eventually dropped him, didnt like his slowness)

"Observation is a passive science, experimentation an active science"
Claude Bernard

That's how I got started. Cyrax = Maxter & Mustard, Sub = Brady & all the Cali/Vegas guys ala Denzell, Shorry & Marvaz.
Fuck, if it wasn't for watching tournament badassery, I would've never started competing. So glad I did.

Enenra

Go to hell.
I think it is funny I left Sub Zero and now you are talking about him being your perfect character. Good luck, hope he treats you better than me. For me, he will always just be a secondary (unless they do come out with the fabled hotfix.)

But my controller belongs to another.

You people and your identity crises. I can barely step outside Sektor, let alone get trapped in a quagmire of half the cast. I'm not exactly sure which is worse, really.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
You people and your identity crises. I can barely step outside Sektor, let alone get trapped in a quagmire of half the cast. I'm not exactly sure which is worse, really.
For the longest time, I played NOTHING but Cyrax and got stuck in a rut.
I think I made it to about 2 and a half days of Nekropolis time spent on him before I ventured outside the mustard bottle.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Yeah, I do honestly feel that you're the most consistent with SZ, I'd say that you should stick with him! I go through the same crap constantly too, though. I don't want to go Kenshi, Jax and Kabal like everyone else but man...that $12k talks.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Yeah, I do honestly feel that you're the most consistent with SZ, I'd say that you should stick with him! I go through the same crap constantly too, though. I don't want to go Kenshi, Jax and Kabal like everyone else but man...that $12k talks.
But then you lose teh lulz factor.

Teh lulz is the most viable character in MK!