What's new

I'd like to live the UMK3 days in their "prime" and here's why

I think I need to take some time off from this game. I went to bed the other night with NEC on my brain, and had a dream that I was playing on an arcade cabinet with Shock and 9.95. Two guys I've never met but have seen and heard all over the UMK scene

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'd like to go back and play all the offline warriors from back when it was first popular in the tournament scene. Then jump forward to 2006-2009 and play all the XBL warriors again. It took me so long to get good, by the time I did, hardly anyone was left playing.

I still hop on it and play the AI from time to time, would play other players but no one is ever on.

Anyway, yeah, UMK3 was fun as hell and not just the game. We had genuine rivalries, not complaining divas. We hated each other so much but that made the matches more intense. If you had beef with someone, chances are you were good enough for the beef to even matter. I mean, we cared so much about a game that hardly anyone played, it was literally only about the game, not much else. No esports bullshit, no rigging brackets, no retarded drama, no divas being divas, just competitive players wanting to compete in a game they love. I don't see that kind of passion with Injustice, and I didn't see it with MK9, not to the same extent.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I was involved in the UMK3 scene between 2010-2012. It was never so much about just the game for me, because I was never THAT great at it. But it was a really fun game, and I had a lot of good times because of the people I met through the scene. The community was a lot smaller then, but it was also better. Most of the people I met at tournaments became great friends, many of whom Im still friends with today. The other thing was UMK3 players were hardcore. They always wanted to play the best players and test themselves. We held up the UMK3 tournament at NEC in 2010 for hours, at the insistence of the players because everyone wanted to wait for Crazy Dominican and Marvirrasta to get there as they were running late.
There was also this "us against the world" feeling to it all because we were always the underdogs in the FGC, fighting to make this 15 year old game more visible during the height of Street Fighter 4s reign. It was a special time to be part of the MK community. I miss it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I was involved in the UMK3 scene between 2010-2012. It was never so much about just the game for me, because I was never THAT great at it. But it was a really fun game, and I had a lot of good times because of the people I met through the scene. The community was a lot smaller then, but it was also better. Most of the people I met at tournaments became great friends, many of whom Im still friends with today. The other thing was UMK3 players were hardcore. They always wanted to play the best players and test themselves. We held up the UMK3 tournament at NEC in 2010 for hours, at the insistence of the players because everyone wanted to wait for Crazy Dominican and Marvirrasta to get there as they were running late.
There was also this "us against the world" feeling to it all because we were always the underdogs in the FGC, fighting to make this 15 year old game more visible during the height of Street Fighter 4s reign. It was a special time to be part of the MK community. I miss it.

I remember not even knowing that Marv or CD were going to be there. I asked REO why there was this hold up, and he was like "that legendary UMK3 player is coming". I thought he was being sarcastic, then I was like "umm, who?", he laughed and said "Crazy is coming". I was excited and nervous as hell. When he got there we chatted briefly, then he warmed up briefly. I was his last warm up match. Afterwards, he looked at me and said "you're winning this", I just laughed and walked away. He was wrong, obviously, but I did a lot better in that tournament than I thought I would. Getting 4th while REO, CD, and Marv are in front of you... is not so bad if you ask me.

I wish the UMK3 scene would be revitalized, some of the best times I've ever had gaming.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I tried to play UMK3 once, but then kara jabs happened to me.
No thanks.

Honest question: How fun was the game if you mained Mileena or Scorpion?

I wish the UMK3 scene would be revitalized, some of the best times I've ever had gaming.
UMK3 on MKAK on PS3/N is what got me back into gaming. There's not much of a following in the midwest though :(

I tried to play UMK3 once, but then kara jabs happened to me.
No thanks.
Honest question: How fun was the game if you mained Mileena or Scorpion?

The ONLY time I'll ever quit during a match online is whenever someone starts spamming the glitch jabs. They start throwing punches and standing still, I'll try to get in and break it up, but the third or fourth time they just go right back to punching the air, I'm out. Probably the worst thing Bass did to the UMK3 scene was turn EVERY Kabal player into a glitch jabbing SOB.

I think dgb999 mains scorpion on PSN, and he's GOOD with him.

This is why i love UMK3:
And i remember there're some vids that R.E.O. bodies everyone, include Shock and Chris G, with his Nightwolf lol.

Upon watching this I noticed at around the 4 minute mark Sweet Johnny Cage starts blasting this guy "Nose". I found the video of those two guys going at it, and it was WAY closer than SJC made it out to be...we're talking a dropped combo or two. No body'ing at all.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
UMK3 on MKAK on PS3/N is what got me back into gaming. There's not much of a following in the midwest though :(

The ONLY time I'll ever quit during a match online is whenever someone starts spamming the glitch jabs. They start throwing punches and standing still, I'll try to get in and break it up, but the third or fourth time they just go right back to punching the air, I'm out. Probably the worst thing Bass did to the UMK3 scene was turn EVERY Kabal player into a glitch jabbing SOB..
I'm a top MK2 player that plays UMK3 every now and then (Ranked 2400 in MK2, 1800 in UMK3- bit of a difference!).
I'm always surprised at how many people I play in UMK3 that don't seem to understand what golden punches/glitch jabs are.
Anyway I didn't know golden punches were looked down upon in UMK3.
After all they're not exactly easy to learn and get good at. When you see someone doing them well, you know you're facing someone who plays high-level MK.

I'm guessing Kabal is basically untouchable with glitch jabs, his damn Web Spin, and instant air fireballs?

Amen to the guy that said bring back digitized actors.
Do you remember the arcades in 1994? How many kids were standing around VIRTUA FIGHTER?
What with it's amazing cutting-edge graphics and all LOL! Yeah but no one cared about cheesy looking Virtua Fighter.
Everyone was gathered around MK2 because it looked real and had amazing feel.
UMK3 is the last great MK game IMO- nothing from MK4-MK9 comes even close to when they used digitized actors.
I'm sure it's a matter of $$$ more than anything though.
Hiring actors (that might sue the company afterwards LOL) costs way more than designing crap on a computer (?).

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
  • UMK3 is the one game that still to this day has its place in the tournament scene
  • There are so many stories and rivalries from those days that make our current stories sound like afternoon recess...
  • You've seen Shock play MK9 and know that he enters to support the game... but have you ever seen him play the CAST on UMK3?
The legacy of this game is true.

Inspired by Shock's FB post:
I'd like to see CDsr vs Shock and Konqrr vs Shock sometime.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
What with it's amazing cutting-edge graphics and all LOL! Yeah but no one cared about cheesy looking Virtua Fighter.
Everyone was gathered around MK2 because it looked real and had amazing feel.
I loved Virtua Fighter :( It was a totally different world and style of game to me, and I considered it not a replacement, but an addition to the world of fighting games. VF was also hugely popular at home and there was a cabinet at every college or bowling alley, in a cafeteria or game room. Following that I fell in love with Tekken, while continuting to play MK games and SF games.

To me graphics are graphics; be they 2d or 3d, it doesn't matter as long as they're executed well.

I still love the old MK titles, and although I wasn't very good at the time, they're the reason that I discovered a love for fighting games. I played a heck of a lot of MK3, from the original MK3 arcade to Trilogy to hours and days of UMK3 on MAME32k.

In Spokane, Washington where I live, UMK or any of the klassics mk's are dead.. thats why im glad i can play online:) i wasnt shit at UMK3 when I first started but then I slid right along. Pretty decent for being 16 i'll say. I really think more people need to get into the old school MK . In other countries gamers choose UMK over newer games, and thats the shit I do like!

In Spokane, Washington where I live, UMK or any of the klassics mk's are dead.. thats why im glad i can play online:) i wasnt shit at UMK3 when I first started but then I slid right along. Pretty decent for being 16 i'll say. I really think more people need to get into the old school MK . In other countries gamers choose UMK over newer games, and thats the shit I do like!

GG last night