What's new

I'd like to live the UMK3 days in their "prime" and here's why

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
  • UMK3 is the one game that still to this day has its place in the tournament scene
  • There are so many stories and rivalries from those days that make our current stories sound like afternoon recess...
  • You've seen Shock play MK9 and know that he enters to support the game... but have you ever seen him play the CAST on UMK3?
The legacy of this game is true.

Inspired by Shock's FB post:

I was looking around for some dates for old FGC events and stumbled upon this Sabin . Do you remember this gem from about 9 years ago?

"I say do UMK over MKT, just so we can see Lex and EWAShock bet it, if he doesn't p***y out."

#beathim2to0intournament

I miss those days.

nightw0lf

Earthrealm Defender / F23 MAN
The first time I saw UMK3 I was about 11 years old on a camping trip. There was a cabinet in the registrar's office and for the rest of the weekend, because I had no money of my own, I spent every second I could running back to the office to watch the demo playing; I had never seen that much blood in my life.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Am I the only one who wishes the studio never got away from using real actors in their animations? I think that's part of what makes a game like UMK3 special. Why can't MK10 use real actors again? It just seems to make it all that much more fun.

Is there some technical reason?
They use actors for motion capture bro.

Also it looks ugly in HD thats why.

The digitized actors was a total accident.

AC1984

Kaballin!
I've thrown my 2 cents multiple times....UMK3 rocks but it needs support....next time when a major comes, enter it even if you cant play it....who knows, you might like it....I was extremely disappointed with the low turnout for MK9,UMK and MK2....People abandoned everything MK related in order to focus on Injustice....those should co-exist and UMK3 should be the 3d strike of MK....

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've thrown my 2 cents multiple times....UMK3 rocks but it needs support....next time when a major comes, enter it even if you cant play it....who knows, you might like it....I was extremely disappointed with the low turnout for MK9,UMK and MK2....People abandoned everything MK related in order to focus on Injustice....those should co-exist and UMK3 should be the 3d strike of MK....
UMK3, MKII and MK9 will all be at NEC, we can hype it up, get some 16 or 24 player tournaments. Interesting how MK9 has literally gone to the same standard as the 2D games.

They use actors for motion capture bro.

Also it looks ugly in HD thats why.

The digitized actors was a total accident.
The digitized actors might have been an accident, but it was a happy one. I'd be more inclined to take the ugly-in-HD argument if I thought the faces in MK9 looked perfect.

Also, it isn't all about necessarily pushing technology to the limits and using every damn thing available. Console makers have been trying to sell people on the Move and Kinect for years, but most people don't care. 3D Dot Game Heroes *intentionally* makes their games look old school and sold just fine. Why? Maximising graphics isn't all there is to something. 3D Dot was a full-price game and sold six times as many units as anticipated

A perfect example is Journey on PSN. A super hit, award-winning, top-selling game that is awesome. Yet, you can't talk to the person you are co-oping with.... Why? The technology obviously exists to allow people to talk in co-op, it would be easy to put in there. Yet, that is just part of the game. It is part of what gives it character. Actually, the game wouldn't be nearly as good if you could talk your co-op partner. What about Angry Birds? Did anyone care that the graphics weren't 1080p? No.

There are plenty of flash, 2D, cartoon looking games that do great. Just saying, sometimes when playing MK9 I'd rather have some choppy, real actor animations a la UMK3 than the super-polished, but still not quite there, graphics we get. Injustice is kind of its own animal, being most of the characters are known for their animated state anyways. MK though, damn, especially with the new consoles coming, I hope they still consider it sometimes. At the very least, if the technology isn't there, then their goal should be to get back to real-life as soon as it does.

Reactions: nwo

haketh

Noob
I wish I had some peeps to teach me in the Norcal area :(

Hard to get people around here to give it the time of day

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
It's basically impossible to play UMK3 in the UK. There has never been a tournament scene for the game.

I always loved playing it though, it was my main fighting game before MK9 came out. Hopefully some day I can make a tournament in the US where MK3 is playable, I'd love to play all the top dogs in the US some day.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
definitely need to wake up the scene. It's there just needs to be nudged. Right before MK9 we were breaking 32 players and even after MK9 we were hitting 20s when a number of players were holding off due to MK9 level up process.

nwo

Noob
Where at? I usually play at Freedemonia meets in El Cerritto.
I'm like 20 miles outside of Sacramento, but I visit family in the bay area every few months...

definitely need to wake up the scene. It's there just needs to be nudged. Right before MK9 we were breaking 32 players and even after MK9 we were hitting 20s when a number of players were holding off due to MK9 level up process.
I think I know one way to "nudge" it.

If done right...

UMK3 teams kombat....using dual monitors.