What's new

'I'd Have These Extremely Graphic Dreams': What It's Like To Work On Ultra-Violent Games Like Mortal Kombat 11

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
people in jobs like that get prepared for stuff like that in almost a decade of education and can call supervision if they want to. The exact problem here IS that people who just want to make a video game and studied that are expected to expose themselves to pictures of real life violence daily without any preparation or supervision, and apparently under high pressure.
Pretty sure any animation artist going to work on Mortal Kombat knows the gore that's in store. Ignorance is not an excuse, it doesn't even hold up in court. This anonymous person is acting like a child.

On the other hand, however, you have NO IDEA how spoiled some teenagers are. Absolutely no idea. We're talking a level of "did you just steal 1,7k from daddy's bank account to pay your microtransactions? I guess I'll buy you a motorbike and pretend it wasn't you even when the police told me it was you".
Oooof, this sounds awfully 'get off my lawn'....

I was thinking that on my way home. Doctors, mainly surgeons, work in people's insides all day, they're often covered with blood too, and I rarely see them talk about any PTSD from doing their job.
I think they do actually, but you know, you have to work... burn out is high. I looked up a website that talks about it.

https://work.chron.com/trauma-surgeons-vs-er-doctors-6386.html

I don't know, there just always seems to be a group of people who are unsympathetic or lack empathy for their fellow human beings, and it's disheartening. It's "I'm fine, why aren't YOU fine."

Pretty sure any animation artist going to work on Mortal Kombat knows the gore that's in store. Ignorance is not an excuse, it doesn't even hold up in court. This anonymous person is acting like a child.
"preparation" is not "knowing", it means you actually learn psychological coping strategies for dealing with death and violence, because its tough for almost everyone. and i dont think that anyone applying at NRS does or should expect to view videos of actual killings to make fricken mortal kombat.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
I was thinking that on my way home. Doctors, mainly surgeons, work in people's insides all day, they're often covered with blood too, and I rarely see them talk about any PTSD from doing their job.
I mean, even if it's never talked about or never sees the light of day, that doesn't mean PTSD doesn't exist in the medical field. If I had to wager a bet, I'd say a lot of doctors are holding in a metric ton of stress and trauma.

A lot of disabilities don't have physical signs. People do suffer in silence. :/

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
One of the dumbest things I've read in a while. You're being hired to design new and "twisted" ways to torture and murder people. The do you think you'll be looking at all day? Where do you think your reference material comes from?

Fucking moron

I'd figure the medical field would have some of the highest levels of stress, as it truly can be a life or death industry. I know there's specialized training and resources available to medical staff of all stripes because of this. The level and kind would likely differ based on country/region though.

The chronic illness I suffer from is not a visible illness, and it can be considered a disability in my country. It can also be extremely debilitating and indignant when it acts up. Having said that, I don't use it as a crutch to prevent me from doing things, I respect the limitations it can place on me and do my best to work around it when I have to.

I'm actually going for a treatment next week. If I remember, I'll ask the nursing staff about the kinds of training and stress options they have here.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
"preparation" is not "knowing", it means you actually learn psychological coping strategies for dealing with death and violence, because its tough for almost everyone. and i dont think that anyone applying at NRS does or should expect to view videos of actual killings to make fricken mortal kombat.
Who says they were forced? No one said that. The article stated that some people were doing that type of research on their own.

Who says they were forced? No one, some people were doing that research on their own.
maybe now that someone finally spoke up (which you apparently disapprove), people can actually do research before applying to NRS :rolleyes:. anyway i think your attitude is short-sighted nonsense, psychological dynamics why people go into and stay in a job are complex. also its the task of an employer to provide working conditions that live up to the insights of modern work medicine and psychology anyway - and those are completely different from what you say.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
maybe now that someone finally spoke up (which you apparently disapprove), people can actually do research before applying to NRS :rolleyes:. anyway i think your attitude is short-sighted nonsense, psychological dynamics why people go into and stay in a job are complex. also its the task of an employer to provide working conditions that live up to the insights of modern work medicine and psychology anyway - and those are completely different from what you say.
If no one says they were forced, then I'm going to come to the logical conclusion that it's cause they weren't forced. There are a million other less traumatic ways you can research the human body without looking at actual people dying. I mean, seriously why are you defending idiocy?

These articles are made to get a rise out of people and are often one-sided, I'm giving you the side that's missing. Do what you will with it.

LeoMK29

Noob
I’m sorry you have to pick and choose your battles . People know what they are signing for with games like MK. The other stuff we have been hearing about with over worked employees, etc takes priority over nightmares. If you complain about too much shit people stop taking you seriously.... if that shit is minuscule.

PTSD from watching hangings, war footage, cattle slaughter, for 80 hours + straight and frame by frame recreation of said fatality over and over... yeah, that could fuck your brain up. Playing the game and seeing the end product of a fatality for 15 seconds... not so much. I'd implore you to read the article.
Watching 80 hours of killings straight? Yeah I’m sure he really did that, cause that’s what someone would do for 80 hours straight with no sleep, totally. if he really did that he would be numb to it by the first hour, lel.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Some of the fatalities are pretty cool and or funny, but I see zero reason to look up actual footage of murder/rape/torture/hangings in order to do the job. The whole point of MK is that the fatalities are gross but over the top in a silly way. Very few people are going to look at a fatality and go "that's not how anatomy works!" And if they do they are a dumbass considering they are playing a game with ninjas with superpowers.

Lol at the people gatekeeping PTSD, but it is not surprising. While this person may have PTSD, the only thing I could see wrong with this from NRS side is if NRS forced people to watch that stuff AND did not make that clear in the job interview that they would do that type of thing. I disagree with making people watch that type of footage as it seems really unnecessary to me, but from the article its hard to tell if that was the case or if she/he was disturbed by what their colleagues chose to research, which is more of a personal issue with a company one.

If no one says they were forced, then I'm going to come to the logical conclusion that it's cause they weren't forced. There are a million other less traumatic ways you can research the human body without looking at actual people dying. I mean, seriously why are you defending idiocy?

These articles are made to get a rise out of people and are often one-sided, I'm giving you the side that's missing. Do what you will with it.
the article describes an atmosphere where "everyone does it". the bosses didnt respond to an inquiry about the article. to me this speaks a clear language. are you even aware that leading personnel often actually learn in workshops how to create such environments where force is exercised indirectly, for example by peer pressure and an atmosphere of fear of losing the job? this fits in very well with the last article where contracts didnt get renewed but the chance was always promised. especially in the USA, where losing your job can also mean losing your health insurance, people in their mid-20s who just finished education and are still naive in the working world are easy prey for these tactics. NRS is a dream company for many, hell yes they are gonna cross their limits for the job and only gonna realize it later. it would be NRS's task to PREVENT unhealthy working conditions actively, but instead they are at least ignorant to it, but what i smell is that they want it that way.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
the article describes an atmosphere where "everyone does it". the bosses didnt respond to an inquiry about the article. to me this speaks a clear language. are you even aware that leading personnel often actually learn in workshops how to create such environments where force is exercised indirectly, for example by peer pressure and an atmosphere of fear of losing the job? this fits in very well with the last article where contracts didnt get renewed but the chance was always promised. especially in the USA, where losing your job can also mean losing your health insurance, people in their mid-20s who just finished education and are still naive in the working world are easy prey for these tactics. NRS is a dream company for many, hell yes they are gonna cross their limits for the job.
So they're all influenceable, gullible, they have no backbone and just finished school. Imagine my shock. Life is hard, they'll get over it. NRS isn't their parent.

Xentex

Noob
the article describes an atmosphere where "everyone does it". the bosses didnt respond to an inquiry about the article. to me this speaks a clear language. are you even aware that leading personnel often actually learn in workshops how to create such environments where force is exercised indirectly, for example by peer pressure and an atmosphere of fear of losing the job?
I think you spend too much time reading anti-capitalism propaganda rags.

At the next game conference maybe take Ed Boon aside and run this theory by him. About sending low level managers off to training on creating psychologically manipulative environments to crush the souls of innocent kids. See if he can suppress his evil laughter.

I think you spend too much time reading anti-capitalism propaganda rags.

At the next game conference maybe take Ed Boon aside and run this theory by him. About sending low level managers off to training on creating psychologically manipulative environments to crush the souls of innocent kids. See if he can suppress his evil laughter.
it is not to crush their souls but to squeeze them out for profit. and i know these workshops for a fact as i have been an active member of a union and a workers council member in a million dollar "startup". its actually common practice. not everyone reads sun tzu or machiavelli, but some CEO's do and their ideas get traded down in simplified form. ever heard of the "the pistol and the crocodile"? thats the kind of stuff they learn.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I've worked in healthcare for the past 13 years and have been exposed to gruesome stuff in level 1 trauma. The burnout doesnt come from seeing gore, the burnout comes from working long shifts and having to deal with miserable fucks daily (both staff and patients). I've yet to encounter a doctor, nurse, tech, etc that has had PTSD from their job. Desensitized? Yeah. Sick of their profession? Fuck yeah.

I mean, we all knew what we were getting into and schooling kind of prepared us for it (somewhat) during gross anatomy of human cadavers and th shock factor wears off after a while.

Some things you can't unsee, especially when you have a 3 month old son at home and have to do CPR on an infant or deal with child abuse/death.

Just my perspective.