What's new

I was wondering where TylerLansdown has been...

Aramonde

Noob
The fact that people need to ask where he is, even WHO he is, speaks volumes.
Hell finally came to Frogtown.
I dont know who other community reps for other games unless they have a game coming out.

Markman for Namco because SC just dropped. Who's Capcom? Combofiend? That's really all I know.

I think people are getting confused and thinking TYM is where the NRS community is. This place is kinda dead. Reddit had 8 threads in the last day alone. Tyler Interacts with the community, just on Reddit / Twitter / Discord etc where it actually lives. This could have been TYM's community but it wanted to try pretend things like Discord weren't going to get big, and that's what happens when you try and fight new tech instead of adapting to it
no confusion since this place is where the "nrs community started" tym was the home, the birthplace of the "nrs community" which started with mk9 and it was pretty active till 2015/16 when mkx was released and running.
people who joined tym later 2016+ may be confused though because they dont know so much about tym.
since 2016, this place isnt the same as before, its a difficult time not only for tym but also other fgc boards for several reasons we have talked about this topic in the past though.
i am pretty sure when a new mortal kombat game comes out, tym will be tym again, of course not like in 2011 but this place will be alive again. we are just in between games, thats all. injustice is a side game and not the main game of the nrs scene, dont quote me.
regarding discord, that is nothing new, thats not the reason for the downfall of fgc boards or something.
for instance here on tym people did hang out in private chats with multiple users. it was similar to discord, actually it was the same. discord may have more options and more channels and shit, but in reality its almost just one channel, the trash-talk channel #general were they all hang out. nothing new, it was the same in private tym chats like i said.
also, lets not forget the old fucking IRC channels. i did hang out in several private fgc irc channels like for more then 15 years, it was the same shit as i already posted. only difference it was not easy to get into those channels, discord is much easier, and also most people there were elitist assholes haha.
but my point is, discord is nothing new and its also not the reason for tym being "dead"

Well, I still prefer TYM over Reddit and discord. Reddit is filled with casuals showing off their gear pieces and discord is great for small group chats but when it comes to gathering and accessing information, it's not as useful. We're just between games right now so there isn't much to talk about.
^

edit:
regarding the nrs community rep. tyler landsdown: since i dont play injustice and we are in between games anyway, i dont care so much about him being not so present at the moment. simple as that lul

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
A very routine and cursory check of Twitter and Reddit would see that he is still very much around, it's not like he disappeared off the face of the planet. Further, people seem to have it in their heads that his job of community outreach specifically means that if he doesn't address the 25 person strong community on TYM or people that play it strictly competitively on a regular basis, he's "not doing his job."

There is a consistent non-effort from people on TYM, both the staff and the userbase, to educate themselves on these kinds of matters or see a bigger picture beyond what exists on the site, and it's frustrating because I find forums necessary, but I have a hard time recommending this one for those reasons.
While I appreciate where you are coming from, I don't think this thread was a "WHY ISN'T NRS FEEDING US GRAPES AND WINE?!?!!?" kind of post, this seemed pretty much what is was on its face: hey, is this Tyler's account? Because if it is, it's weird that it's gone.

I get it's the cool thing to find literally any reason to trash TYM, but it is a little weird that the community rep for NRS hasn't been doing a whole lot of community outreach. Or are we going to pretend that NRS was extremely responsive every time there was an issue with this year's IPS? *To clarify, I'm talking a response to let players/people in the community know what was going on every time something was vague, missing, or just flat out wrong

Last edited:

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
While I appreciate where you are coming from, I don't think this thread was a "WHY ISN'T NRS FEEDING US GRAPES AND WINE?!?!!?" kind of post, this seemed pretty much what is was on its face: hey, is this Tyler's account? Because if it is, it's weird that it's gone.

I get it's the cool thing to find literally any reason to trash TYM, but it is a little weird that the community rep for NRS hasn't been doing a whole lot of community outreach. Or are we going to pretend that NRS was extremely responsive every time there was an issue with this year's IPS?
I didn't see it as that either, I just saw it as, like I said in my post, a non-effort to figure out what was going on, which is pretty typical, in my experience.

As to your follow-up, I think again this is a matter of being somewhat ignorant of key ideas and facts.

1. Community outreach is being publically available for when people have a problem with the product your company sells. Which, again, Tyler couldn't be more available through social media, in addition to the mobile livestreams they do on occasion. What more is he supposed to do?

2. That's probably because while NRS can apologize and take the brunt of the criticism for this year's terrible IPS, they actually don't manage the thing. A Chicago-based marketing organization called Intersport does, along with a helping hand from many many sponsors, including Samsung and SIMPLE Mobile. This was all stated in the initial press release. Although they don't manage it, NRS definitely puts their name on it as a member of the greater Warner Interactive Entertainment family, so yes, they will take the brunt of the criticism, but those answers were never going to be given probably because it wasn't their information to give.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I didn't see it as that either, I just saw it as, like I said in my post, a non-effort to figure out what was going on, which is pretty typical, in my experience.

As to your follow-up, I think again this is a matter of being somewhat ignorant of key ideas and facts.

1. Community outreach is being publically available for when people have a problem with the product your company sells. Which, again, Tyler couldn't be more available through social media, in addition to the mobile livestreams they do on occasion. What more is he supposed to do?

2. That's probably because while NRS can apologize and take the brunt of the criticism for this year's terrible IPS, they actually don't manage the thing. A Chicago-based marketing organization called Intersport does, along with a helping hand from many many sponsors, including Samsung and SIMPLE Mobile. This was all stated in the initial press release. Although they don't manage it, NRS definitely puts their name on it as a member of the greater Warner Interactive Entertainment family, so yes, they will take the brunt of the criticism, but those answers were never going to be given probably because it wasn't their information to give.
Fair point, but I have a hard time believing NRS didn't know what was going on. Like, I was just thinking about that whole debacle of people needing to jump through absurd hoops to get paid, with nobody seeing their money months after events took place. I didn't see any community NRS reps pop up to say "this is out of our hands, but we'll do what we can to help" or some other kind of vague answer. But I also don't know what's going on behind the doors, that part of the company might be busy with other stuff.

I dunno, if I'm coming off as combative or aggressive, I'm not meaning to be. For some reason, this just kind of irritated me and I felt an urge to say something where I would normally just be "eh, whatever"

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Fair point, but I have a hard time believing NRS didn't know what was going on. Like, I was just thinking about that whole debacle of people needing to jump through absurd hoops to get paid, with nobody seeing their money months after events took place. I didn't see any community NRS reps pop up to say "this is out of our hands, but we'll do what we can to help" or some other kind of vague answer. But I also don't know what's going on behind the doors, that part of the company might be busy with other stuff.

I dunno, if I'm coming off as combative or aggressive, I'm not meaning to be. For some reason, this just kind of irritated me and I felt an urge to say something where I would normally just be "eh, whatever"
I'm sure they knew what was going on, but, and this is weird to say because it's a massive brand name company that sells millions of games, NRS is the low man on the totem pole, a sub-division of Warner Interactive, which itself is a sub-division of one of the largest corporations in the entire world. This is a business partnership, and I think if a low man on the totem pole where to try and overreach the people above them, that would upset that partnership. Warner, the company, could probably just pay out anything if Intersport were to totally fuck up, but again, that initial cash prize is tied up in a lot of sponsorships and other business deals, which means the answer isn't cut and dry.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
For the record, I'm also not saying that it isn't a total fucking nightmare and absurd to deal with. I am not exactly a fan of E-Sports as it works now (that's kind of my bit) and this is a pretty good example of the annoyances that come with it.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
For the record, I'm also not saying that it isn't a total fucking nightmare and absurd to deal with. I am not exactly a fan of E-Sports as it works now (that's kind of my bit) and this is a pretty good example of the annoyances that come with it.
So, we are agreeing that Tyler is at fault here? Sounds like we are.
I read your posts again to be certain. We totally are.

A very routine and cursory check of Twitter and Reddit would see that he is still very much around, it's not like he disappeared off the face of the planet. Further, people seem to have it in their heads that his job of community outreach specifically means that if he doesn't address the 25 person strong community on TYM or people that play it strictly competitively on a regular basis, he's "not doing his job."

There is a consistent non-effort from people on TYM, both the staff and the userbase, to educate themselves on these kinds of matters or see a bigger picture beyond what exists on the site, and it's frustrating because I find forums necessary, but I have a hard time recommending this one for those reasons.
you are clearly an NRS yes man. NRS as a whole has sucked so much ass this year. They were the ONLY main game at evo with any sort of announcement, entry numbers suffered bc of the lack of dev support at evo, Boon actively trolls his community and there has been a community black out for half a year.

In this generation and climate how the hell could you support them? If there was another announcement of content 3-6 months prior to evo I promise the entry numbers would have increased by at least %50. Games do not survive on "community love" anymore. New content is required. Announcements. Patches. Something lmao.

You and crimson think NRS can do no wrong and are always right.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Let's be honest, I've been saying nrs has shit communications since day one.
I stand by it.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Yeah, honestly, it really shouldn't be hard. There's people that interact on here on a daily basis that aren't employed to do so. If it's your job you could at least check in more often than once a year lol

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Yeah, honestly, it really shouldn't be hard. There's people that interact on here on a daily basis that aren't employed to do so. If it's your job you could at least check in more often than once a year lol
What is "checking in?" Does that mean he asks the 20 people on here their in depth opinions of the game? Is he supposed to make a thread asking how everything's going? Aside from being very easy to reach on Twitter and reddit, I'm not exactly sure what there is to" check in" on if there isn't anything to announce. If he's supposed to show up just to get yelled at for the game sucking, he can do that on Twitter with a bigger sample size.

Matty, go treat some athletes foot and retreat into retirement for good this time, the community only has room enough for so many man-children

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Jokes aside, some of you are whiny little babies TBH

If NRS was releasing a game or an update sometime soon, they would announce it. I guess you guys expect Tyler to come in and be like, "Hey what's up guys! By the way, we aren't updating Injustice 2 nor are we going to announce a new game any time soon, but nice to talk to you!"

calm down guys.
we have never been in such an situation so far: a "dead game" which is not even the maingame of the nrs scene AND no announcement.
i really hope that the announcement is coming soon. the longer it lasts the worse for the scene overall

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Matty, go treat some athletes foot and retreat into retirement for good this time, the community only has room enough for so many man-children
Is this to me? I'm not sure what it means but I never retired I'm not going anywhere, you got it mixed up its Crimson who desperately wants to ban me and me who wants to stay

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
you are clearly an NRS yes man. NRS as a whole has sucked so much ass this year. They were the ONLY main game at evo with any sort of announcement, entry numbers suffered bc of the lack of dev support at evo, Boon actively trolls his community and there has been a community black out for half a year.

You and crimson think NRS can do no wrong and are always right.
Lol.. Yeah you know me, the 'NRS is always right' guy:
-Said MMH was OP and needed to be looked at.. Shouted down by people who said "He hasn't won a major/Jupiter lost so he's fine"
-Said MKX was far too broken-offense heavy and that the combination of half-screen 50/50 BnB starters and the run button would lead to oppressive offense that wouldn't be fun for competitive play.. Shouted down by the "It's probably fine and we'll learn to play around it" people
-etc.

I literally just wrote a post explaining why people dislike some of the zoning in Inj titles about a month ago. You quoted me. You've forgotten somehow.

No, the problem is that you can't stand the idea of *balanced criticism*. Meaning giving people credit for the good things they do, along with whatever criticism you put out for the stuff you don't like.

One of the biggest issues in the community is those people who don't play anymore, and barely contribute anything positive, but are always here to try to drag the game down, bash the company, and fling mud at posters and players who are still supportive and want to build something for the future. We need people who will go to bat for the guys are happy to still be playing and watching, instead of being loud, retired sour grapes and sucking the air out of the room. There's a way to be constructive in asking for more, but burning bridges ultimately gets you nowhere.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
In this generation and climate how the hell could you support them? If there was another announcement of content 3-6 months prior to evo I promise the entry numbers would have increased by at least %50. Games do not survive on "community love" anymore. New content is required. Announcements. Patches. Something lmao.
Well, let me know when Smash Brothers Melee has an announcement or a patch. Let me know when it's balanced. It's the most popular fighting game outside of Street Fighter.

Last edited: