What's new

I Need Help To Find An Answer

S-I-C

Brutal-Dedication
I work on the railraods and we have very strict safety rules, obviously. I my supervisor asked me a question and told me I need to have an answer for him by Monday.

The question:
Name one man made thing that has never failed.

Any ideas?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Taxes? LOL That's the first thing that came to mind. Can this be anything?

Dark_Rob

Noob
The question:
Name one man made thing that has never failed.

Any ideas?
The question is to vague. It almost sounds like a trick question, like its designed to make you think there is only one man made thing that has never failed. This of course is not true. Mt. Rushmore, Hoover Dam, N.O.R.A.D, The Pyramids of Egypt. There are lots of others but I think the point has been made. Mt. Rushmore alone could stand for another million years without human interference before wind and rain erode it away. Hoover Dam is so dense that some of the concrete deep within still has yet to set.It could easily stand for the next ten thousand years.

TWZTID

Noob
i think the answer could be safety equipment ie:gloves, goggles.... they are man made and if used correctly, never fail.

S-I-C

Brutal-Dedication
The question is to vague. It almost sounds like a trick question, like its designed to make you think there is only one man made thing that has never failed. This of course is not true. Mt. Rushmore, Hoover Dam, N.O.R.A.D, The Pyramids of Egypt. There are lots of others but I think the point has been made. Mt. Rushmore alone could stand for another million years without human interference before wind and rain erode it away. Hoover Dam is so dense that some of the concrete deep within still has yet to set.It could easily stand for the next ten thousand years.
Damn, that is a very good answer. I gonna throw that one at him and see what he says. thank you.
well think of equipment at your job and safety. googles
i think the answer could be safety equipment ie:gloves, goggles.... they are man made and if used correctly, never fail.
Well safety equipment fails daily. Gloves wear out, safety glasses need replaced, steel toed boots wear out.

Stupidity
Ha, this is very true. I'm not sure that this could be considered man made.

S-I-C

Brutal-Dedication
I gave him this answer and he said the Hoover Dam has been repaiered/maintained so it dont count, same with Mt. Rushmore...

IDK

Dark_Rob

Noob
I gave him this answer and he said the Hoover Dam has been repaiered/maintained so it dont count, same with Mt. Rushmore...

IDK
The question was "Name one man made thing that has never failed". Not "Name one man made thing that has never failed and never been repaired" ......And repairing and maintaining something does not mean it has failed. My anwser was correct for his question. He didnt like that the anwser wasnt the one he had in mind, so he changed the question.

S-I-C

Brutal-Dedication
The question was "Name one man made thing that has never failed". Not "Name one man made thing that has never failed and never been repaired" ......And repairing and maintaining something does not mean it has failed. My anwser was correct for his question. He didnt like that the anwser wasnt the one he had in mind, so he changed the question.
Well, he said his whole purpose was to say that "there is not anything that man has made that has never failed." In his words, "Hoover Dam has been repaired because it was begining to fail, thus had to be be repaired, given time it would have indeed failed."

His entire point was trying to get me to understand that EVERYTHING man made has failed in some way and will ALWAYS continue to fail.

He's ex-military and has a really big head, lol. What he fails to realize is I honestly don't give a flyin fuck about his mind-fuck questions but that one actually stumped me, that's why I brought it here.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Well, he said his whole purpose was to say that "there is not anything that man has made that has never failed." In his words, "Hoover Dam has been repaired because it was begining to fail, thus had to be be repaired, given time it would have indeed failed."

His entire point was trying to get me to understand that EVERYTHING man made has failed in some way and will ALWAYS continue to fail.

He's ex-military and has a really big head, lol. What he fails to realize is I honestly don't give a flyin fuck about his mind-fuck questions but that one actually stumped me, that's why I brought it here.
Hes not saying anything thats a mind fuck. On a long enough time line everything will fail/wither/die. Whether man made or not. But his question was pointless. Also as I said in my first post, though without maintenence the electrical power systems,generators,computers, and hydraulic systems would fail. The structure of the Hoover Damn is so dense and massive that its likely to stand for thousands of years even without human maintenence. However eventually it to would fall.
The earth itself is well passed half its life in age. In 2 billion years the molten iron core that powers plate techtonics will shut down. The internal engine that powers the earth will disappear. The Magnetic field that protects our planet from the suns radioactive rays will disappear and life will cease to exist on earth.
3 Billion years later the sun to will die. As it burns the last of its hydrogen it will begin burning helium and turn into a red giant. In its death throws It will cast off its outer layers and become a white dwarf. A dead star.
So nothing, nothing at all lasts forever. Whether its man made or not has nothing to do with it. Even the universe itself will eventually tear itself apart and die. Explain that to your boss and watch his head explode lol

S-I-C

Brutal-Dedication
Hes not saying anything thats a mind fuck. On a long enough time line everything will fail/wither/die. Whether man made or not. But his question was pointless. Also as I said in my first post, though without maintenence the electrical power systems,generators,computers, and hydraulic systems would fail. The structure of the Hoover Damn is so dense and massive that its likely to stand for thousands of years even without human maintenence. However eventually it to would fall.
The earth itself is well passed half its life in age. In 2 billion years the molten iron core that powers plate techtonics will shut down. The internal engine that powers the earth will disappear. The Magnetic field that protects our planet from the suns radioactive rays will disappear and life will cease to exist on earth.
3 Billion years later the sun to will die. As it burns the last of its hydrogen it will begin burning helium and turn into a red giant. In its death throws It will cast off its outer layers and become a white dwarf. A dead star.
So nothing, nothing at all lasts forever. Whether its man made or not has nothing to do with it. Even the universe itself will eventually tear itself apart and die. Explain that to your boss and watch his head explode lol
I couldnt read this twice if I had to. Holy shit, made me confused to beat all hell. I'm not all that bright...I was kicked outa high school in 10th grade and never went back. Easy on the big words, lol. I'm gonna print your post above and give it to him. God knows I can't remember or even come close to being able to actually explain all of that. lol.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I couldnt read this twice if I had to. Holy shit, made me confused to beat all hell. I'm not all that bright...I was kicked outa high school in 10th grade and never went back. Easy on the big words, lol. I'm gonna print your post above and give it to him. God knows I can't remember or even come close to being able to actually explain all of that. lol.
By all means, go right ahead. Also if hes feeling froggy feel free to invite him to the forums if he wants to cross brains with me directly. :)

S-I-C

Brutal-Dedication
By all means, go right ahead. Also if hes feeling froggy feel free to invite him to the forums if he wants to cross brains with me directly. :)
I will invite him to the forums, not to say that he will actually show up. He is in his lat 50's or 60's, he is not into any kinds of electronics. He makes fun of me for having a smartphone (myTouch Slide) He always says "I don't need a phone with all that stupid shit, I just need to be able to make a phone call." He didn't even own a cell phone until the terminal manager required everyone to have a phone to be on call 24-7.