What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao i need a little help with kung lao

Hey guys
as the title says i really need help with kung lao :( i haven't been playing mkx for long but i know about block strings, safe and unsafe attacks etc I have a decent understanding of how the game works and its mechanics but i still can't seem to figure out how i stop myself from being pressured, or what attacks to use to "kounter"

if you guys could give me some tips or post ( or link) some combos if you have the time!!. feel free to share any tips or tricks with me anything is greatly appreciated

Thank You !!!

i included some gameplay of me playing feel free to criticise (sorry for the lag spikes in the video)

Last edited:

Meep8345

Noob
Hey guys
as the title says i really need help with kung lao :( i haven't been playing mkx for long but i know about block strings, safe and unsafe attacks etc I have a decent understanding of how the game works and its mechanics but i still can't seem to figure out how i stop myself from being pressured, or what attacks to use to "kounter"

if you guys could give me some tips and maybe even post ( or link) some combos if you have the time!!. feel free to share any tips or tricks with me anything is greatly appreciated

Thank You !!!

i included some gameplay of me playing feel free to criticise (sorry for the lag spikes in the video)

You need to stagger with his 112124/f2/b3 a lot more and use his solid normals in the neutral like d4,f2, and b3. You can add me on ps4 and I'll help you. I'm really not that great but I know the game pretty well

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Before you learn anything go practice your execution in training mode. Find some combos and keep practicing them. Pressure is useless if it's not leading to damage. You're opponent has no reason to respect you if you're not doing damage to them.

Before you learn anything go practice your execution in training mode. Find some combos and keep practicing them. Pressure is useless if it's not leading to damage. You're opponent has no reason to respect you if you're not doing damage to them.
yeah i know some combos, but i can never start them due to being pressured, but i will practise more for sure !!!

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
yeah i know some combos, but i can never start them due to being pressured, but i will practise more for sure !!!
It is no easy task to know when to attack and which one to use.
It all boils down to matchup experience, even when you memorised all the possible ways you can attack.
If you don't know that you can punish something, you will probably not punish it.
So learn everything in training mode, and then go online and play to learn what others can do. Experiment.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Few criticisms on the gameplay

-You missed a few obvious punishes, granted sektor can make his telepot into a guess but still.
- As tempest always confirm into orbiting hat. its -3 on block and continues the combo on hit. Spin is riskier and a harder hitconfirm.
- EX Spin is not a good reversal anymore since it lost armor, use it sparringly or none at all.
- You respected the dude too much. Duck the missile and dont just let him jump and all that. Take your turn
- use d4, f2, b3, 112124 staggers and b12 2+4. 44 in the neutral is meh.
_ Sharpen up your combos and execution. Practice the two frame link. If you can't, then just go for f2 off of orbiting hat.

If you need help add me on ps4 or steam (preferred).

Few criticisms on the gameplay

-You missed a few obvious punishes, granted sektor can make his telepot into a guess but still.
- As tempest always confirm into orbiting hat. its -3 on block and continues the combo on hit. Spin is riskier and a harder hitconfirm.
- EX Spin is not a good reversal anymore since it lost armor, use it sparringly or none at all.
- You respected the dude too much. Duck the missile and dont just let him jump and all that. Take your turn
- use d4, f2, b3, 112124 staggers and b12 2+4. 44 in the neutral is meh.
_ Sharpen up your combos and execution. Practice the two frame link. If you can't, then just go for f2 off of orbiting hat.

If you need help add me on ps4 or steam (preferred).
i'll add you on ps4 :) thank you for the criticism!!!, just a question are you from australia ?? because it might be a bit laggy if you aren't ahaha ohh and how do you do the 112124 ??

Last edited:

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
@Whybefresh

If you're trying to learn how to escape pressure, Lao is a good place to start. He has only EXTele and X-Ray as armored defense; because of this, he will teach you how and when to press buttons without relying on meter.

A don't worry about kounters too much. It's just an in-game message letting you know that you punished your opponent for something.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
i'll add you on ps4 :) thank you for the criticism!!!, just a question are you from australia ?? because it might be a bit laggy if you aren't ahaha ohh and how do you do the 112124 ??
Nah lol I'm in US. We can try it and see what happens.

use 11, 11212 and 112124 for staggers. 11 is plus 1, 11212 is -3. Mix grabs in, use b3 and b321, enforce respect with d4. If they keep poking your staggers use f2 and b3 to hit them out of it. Just mix things up with it

It all boils down to matchup experience, even when you memorised all the possible ways you can attack.
If you don't know that you can punish something, you will probably not punish it.
So learn everything in training mode, and then go online and play to learn what others can do. Experiment.
yeah good point!! thank you for the help !!! i will practise and learn the matchups

thank you for your response, i got a question how do i stop pressuring, when someone is pressuring and i try to start my combo i just get hit and they get to do theirs

thlityoursloat

kick kick
thank you for your response, i got a question how do i stop pressuring, when someone is pressuring and i try to start my combo i just get hit and they get to do theirs
If you're minus and they do a fast mid then just hold that shit, however if their mids are slow or they go for a high then you can just mash d1.
Make sure to confirm your pokes and avoid doing back to back pokes btw.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
That's a question of frame data.
If the buttons you press are not adequate, it becomes the opponent's turn to attack.
If you block an unsafe move, it is your turn to attack for so long as you attack with a move within the frames in which the opponent cannot fight back.
So if I hit you with a -12 move, you have 12 frames to retaliate so you have to pick a move 12 frames or faster. Reach is also important because if a move is 6 frames but can't reach the opponent you're no good: You have to either move closer for it to hit or pick a move with better reach but still within the boundaries of the right frames.
Same applies to hit-advantage: If you land a hit that's +12 frames on hit, it means you have 12 frames to follow it up with something that's fast enough to connect before they can block.
Certain attacks are + on block so you have to watch out for those: They're called Frame Traps.
Your d1, d3 and d4 are your tools to make it your turn, as well as Lao's spin is a powerful tool that makes you able to start combos.
Learn your frame data and that of your opponents. You do not have to learn every single frame, just what you can punish and what move of yours will get punished.
Lots of homework, but worth it!

MK_Al

Noob
I'd recommend playing the AI more often just to get more consistecy in your combos and punishes without to much stress. Also get used to d4 instead of b4 and run button. I also noticed that you don't seem to have a setup after knocking down your opponent (try a crossup jump or use spining hat during knockdown and mix that up with baiting wakeups). Most important, get a feeling for the range of your normals so you dont end up whiffing attacks in front of your enemy.

good luck!

If the buttons you press are not adequate, it becomes the opponent's turn to attack.
If you block an unsafe move, it is your turn to attack for so long as you attack with a move within the frames in which the opponent cannot fight back.
So if I hit you with a -12 move, you have 12 frames to retaliate so you have to pick a move 12 frames or faster. Reach is also important because if a move is 6 frames but can't reach the opponent you're no good: You have to either move closer for it to hit or pick a move with better reach but still within the boundaries of the right frames.
Same applies to hit-advantage: If you land a hit that's +12 frames on hit, it means you have 12 frames to follow it up with something that's fast enough to connect before they can block.
Certain attacks are + on block so you have to watch out for those: They're called Frame Traps.
Your d1, d3 and d4 are your tools to make it your turn, as well as Lao's spin is a powerful tool that makes you able to start combos.
Learn your frame data and that of your opponents. You do not have to learn every single frame, just what you can punish and what move of yours will get punished.
To add to this (even though it doesnt happen nearly as often anymore since the universal removal of launching armor making this tactic generally not worth it, but still useful to know) if you pressure with a string thats minus but is still safe like -3 or -5, you can mash an armored move to try and keep your turn (this is more mind game stuff, cuz the idea here is to make your opponent think its their turn to press a button and you bait them into going right into armor, a good example of this would be pre patch cutthroat kano when db1 use to be only -5, they would do a 50/50 and cancel into db1 and if your successfully blocked they generally mashed up ball or regular ball afterwards to check yea to see if you press a button.) cuz for whatever reason armor startup is silly when pressuring lol. But like i said before I wouldnt worry too much about running into this problem anymore, since the risk reward is now heavily in the defenders hand.

thank you for your long and very well written explanation! much appreciated!!

I'd recommend playing the AI more often just to get more consistecy in your combos and punishes without to much stress. Also get used to d4 instead of b4 and run button. I also noticed that you don't seem to have a setup after knocking down your opponent (try a crossup jump or use spining hat during knockdown and mix that up with baiting wakeups). Most important, get a feeling for the range of your normals so you dont end up whiffing attacks in front of your enemy.

good luck!
very good tips!! i listened to your tips and i have already improved aha!! thank you for your response