What's new

Strategy - Sub-Zero I Must Destroy Sub-Zero.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Hello, friends. Fellow Kombatants. Competitive counterparts.
I have come to you in search of knowledge and wisdom.

As some of you may know, I recently issued a challenge to one Mr. Tom Brady, to face me in a $100 money match at NEC, in a mad experiment of my design the likes of which neither the MK scene, nor the FGC as a whole, has ever seen before...inside the cold steel embrace of a structure known as the Kage Of Kombat.

And although Lord Brady, my longtime mentor and the one player other than Reo from whom i have derived morer knowledge and wisdom over the years when it comes to what we do, has yet to answer this challenge...and now in four days time stands to invite the fury and wrath of the gods of Ultraviolence that watch over the city of Philadelphia to his doorstep, but that's another story...I am certain that in time, he will see that this battle is just as much his destiny as it is mine.

But until he does, I beseech you, the players and progenies of the Grand Master of the Lin Kuei, for guidance.

See...I've been a Sub-Zero player for a very long time now.
From Costume 2 Alternate Tint Sub in MK9, to the Cryomancer of today.
But being Sub-Zero, and battling Sub-Zero, are two completely different agendas.
And it my mission, duty, and task as bestowed upon me by the might of Zandig himself, to learn all there is to know about waging war against the chill of despair incarnate.

So I call upon all of you.
ALL OF YOU.
Sub-Zero mains, rivals, top player, mid-tier players, lurking in the shadows players.
Tournament newbies, tournament champions, online warriors, offline devotees.
Teach me. Show me. Guide me. Tell me how to kill the slumbering giant of ice.
Doesn't matter who with. I have three mains, four backups, and I can play all but three characters (Jax, Sonya, Jacqui) at least competently enough to pick them up for this fight if necessary, so any knowledge from any perspective is welcome.

For this is no simple challenge I have issued.
This, as you will come to find in four days time, is the sum of NINE YEARS of my life, collected and carved into the annals of time...given form in the shape of the greatest battle the FGC will ever witness.

TYM...I need your help.

Show me how to kill a god.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
1. The character: If you want to straight up counter pick Grandmaster, I think Mystic is his worst matchup now. Demo, Piercing, and D'Vorah are still issues but it's not the anal gaping it was pre patch. Kenshi does pretty well too, as does Aftershock Tremor. I actually think Aftershock does very well against Grandmaster, especially after the stamina changes. But that's about it imo, he isn't as easily counter picked as he was pre patch, GM Sub is one of the best characters in the game now. Stay away from any character that doesn't have a meterless way to fight the klone or has to take a risk to deal with it. I know you main Tremor so I honestly think he is your best bet instead of learning Ermac on the spot.

2. You can usually press buttons after any blocked attack. Most of his strings are pretty bad on block so don't let him bully you. Make sure you have a way to deal with klone cancels because it's more abusable now. Punish B2 every time, he will have a field day with that if you aren't blowing up B2. Tremor should be good pick for this reason too.

3. If you find yourself cornered, which let's be honest, it will happen eventually, don't panic. Characters getting 2 hits of armor was a pretty big nerf to Sub-Zero's corner setplay so don't be too afraid to wakeup if you're one of these characters.

And honestly just play as many Subs as you can. Brady is one of, if not the best of us all, so you will need to get as much experience as you can.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
If you want to beat Grandmaster, pick Tremor (check YUZU RZA and ShArp), Ermac (check Big D) and Mileena (check A F0xy Grampa). Those are the worst MUs for GMSZ. Even Madzin has a hard time dealing with them.

There's a saying there: "To beat someone, learn him." So you'll be fine, since you used to main Sub Zero, therefore, you know his weaknesses and advantages. Use his weaknesses against him. Force Bill to do a tiny bitty kitty wrong move and PUNISH him with all your might. Bill knows almost more than half of what Madzin fully knows. What I mean is that when you used to play as GMSZ, you thought of many strategies to deal against any opponent. Knowing your character is knowing your opponent's mind of how he should deal with you.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
You guys are the best <3 thank you.
The few Sub players I've run into on Live have made the same suggestion about Mystic Ermac, but I've tried to pick him up repeatedly in the past and I know I'm not gonna find a stride with him comfy enough to be worth this pursuit. Same with D'Vorah and Mileena. Venomous and Piercing have both always been good to me in practice and on paper as lab characters (in MK9, "To beat someone, learn him" was both my mantra and my undoing, and it's stuck with me to this day; like Seraph said in The Matrix Reloaded, you do not truly know someone until you fight them, so I learn my MU's by picking them up myself), but in the heat of an actual fight, I'm not certain they won't melt...but then again, this is a completely different rodeo than it was pre-patch for both sides, so who knows. At least I have them if I need them, and with enough lab work, they can both teach me more than I know now.

Also: HOLY SHIT @ the damage this son of a bitch gets off of Clone Shatters in the corner.
Like...O_O...this is scary stuff...

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I would suggest picking up Tremor. He's a good zoner and can cover the whole area with his rocks. I had a hard time with Tremor as GMSZ (ShArp and RZA know it, because I played with them). You should pick Crystalline to protect yourself from Sub Zero's Iceball, while you try to destroy his IK. Ermac has his mid-air trolling, which I hate the most. Mileena has a vortex of mixups to deal with, so IK is kinda useless against her, except of some rare occasions.

If Sub Zero had the Air Iceball or Air Ice Klone, it would help greatly with Ermac and Tremor.

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
Crystalline tremor is a good pick against Grand Master. He has all answers for sub's tactics

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Friction isn't wrong. Cyrax WAS my #1 super guy in MK9.
But Sub-Zero was always my #2.
And for the years of character identity crisis that game put me through, those two spots never changed.
My home has always been and will always be under the banner of the Lin Kuei.

Four days remain.
Then, the Ultraviolent Revival takes form.
And I will do as Shao Kahn sought to do when Outworld did battle with Earthrealm...

...I will merge the realms.

This has been a long time coming.
And should all the cards fall into their proper places, it will take us all somewhere we've never been before.

You may think I'm crazy...and you'd be right...but madness means nothing without inspiration.
And my muse has given me but one simple instruction: Destroy Sub-Zero.

All I seek to accomplish will be made possible through the battle that lies ahead.
And all that I can learn from all of you about deconstructing this character will help me win it.

Put on your hype pants, boys.
Box is going to school.

Reactions: GAV
Hello, friends. Fellow Kombatants. Competitive counterparts.
I have come to you in search of knowledge and wisdom.

As some of you may know, I recently issued a challenge to one Mr. Tom Brady, to face me in a $100 money match at NEC, in a mad experiment of my design the likes of which neither the MK scene, nor the FGC as a whole, has ever seen before...inside the cold steel embrace of a structure known as the Kage Of Kombat.

And although Lord Brady, my longtime mentor and the one player other than Reo from whom i have derived morer knowledge and wisdom over the years when it comes to what we do, has yet to answer this challenge...and now in four days time stands to invite the fury and wrath of the gods of Ultraviolence that watch over the city of Philadelphia to his doorstep, but that's another story...I am certain that in time, he will see that this battle is just as much his destiny as it is mine.

But until he does, I beseech you, the players and progenies of the Grand Master of the Lin Kuei, for guidance.

See...I've been a Sub-Zero player for a very long time now.
From Costume 2 Alternate Tint Sub in MK9, to the Cryomancer of today.
But being Sub-Zero, and battling Sub-Zero, are two completely different agendas.
And it my mission, duty, and task as bestowed upon me by the might of Zandig himself, to learn all there is to know about waging war against the chill of despair incarnate.

So I call upon all of you.
ALL OF YOU.
Sub-Zero mains, rivals, top player, mid-tier players, lurking in the shadows players.
Tournament newbies, tournament champions, online warriors, offline devotees.
Teach me. Show me. Guide me. Tell me how to kill the slumbering giant of ice.
Doesn't matter who with. I have three mains, four backups, and I can play all but three characters (Jax, Sonya, Jacqui) at least competently enough to pick them up for this fight if necessary, so any knowledge from any perspective is welcome.

For this is no simple challenge I have issued.
This, as you will come to find in four days time, is the sum of NINE YEARS of my life, collected and carved into the annals of time...given form in the shape of the greatest battle the FGC will ever witness.

TYM...I need your help.

Show me how to kill a god.

I have found that unbreakable sub zero is one of the best counters to grandmaster sub zero. Just sit back in the neutral at mid screen with an aura and parry the incoming ice balls when he's behind the clone. Throw back ice balls or ex ice balls every once in a while. He will have to respect your ex slide and you will be gaining meter just as fast as him. Look for him to rush in and punish him for doing so he won't be able to break if he ran in and then he'll be stuck in the corner

I have found that unbreakable sub zero is one of the best counters to grandmaster sub zero. Just sit back in the neutral at mid screen with an aura and parry the incoming ice balls when he's behind the clone. Throw back ice balls or ex ice balls every once in a while. He will have to respect your ex slide and you will be gaining meter just as fast as him. Look for him to rush in and punish him for doing so he won't be able to break if he ran in and then he'll be stuck in the corner
If you are trapped in the corner you can parry any of his attacks and get out of the corner and if you have your aura he will have to respect your armored launcher the entire time

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
If you are trapped in the corner you can parry any of his attacks and get out of the corner and if you have your aura he will have to respect your armored launcher the entire time
you've just become my new best friend.
now i have a reason to pick up Unbreakable.
keep 'em coming, boys <3