What's new

I don't care for the crushing blows

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Okay, so you can't use more than one at all? That sounds a lot more reasonable, thanks. I don't think I need to worry then.
You can use one per move that initiates it. So once the d2 krush is used you have to use another one, etc.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
For me it's not about the time it's about the amount of damage they do. I don't think normals should really vary that much in damage because at any point in the match part of the game is calculating what you can survive and what you can't survive and planning your moves accordingly.

I don't want a random projectile to do 25 percent of my life because it fulfilled some obscure requirement.
Well you're gonna hate Sonya waaaay more in this game than any MK then, because thats actually hers lol Saw a stream with Maxamillion and he said he was getting hit with that alot.

But on this topic, i was actually talking to my brother about this exact same concern how this will slow the pace of the game. Then i realized....this mechanic works about the same as LETHAL HITS in Soul Calibur 6 and that mechanic adds an awesome twist to the game. Applied here in MK11, I think it would do the same.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I will talk about it more in my write up, but the game takes some updates from other fighters and that seems to be getting ignored in favor pf bitching

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might
Thats VERY apparent in this game. Its like this whole time NRS has been watching what mechanics made the current fighters so successful and applied it to their game.

Thats VERY apparent in this game. Its like this whole time NRS has been watching what mechanics made the current fighters so successful and applied it to their game.
I don't mind the concept but i need them to tone down the damage. The damage for krushing blows and fatal blows seems unneccessarily high. Give like a 2-3% increase. Don't insta-kill me with a single projective at 1/3rd life. That's bull.

not sure if you can use all 5-6 or just one of them in a match. it would seem unfair to be able to use all when the fighters have different amounts.
in maximilian dood stream he explained that there was this option "retain crushing blows" or something like that that was setting off by default but couldn't be activated in the demo, this option lets you fulfill the requirements for a crushing blow but you decide when to use it, this open the possibility of "gathering" crushing blows and use them all together in a combo that would deal massive damage. Of course we don't know yet if that is the case but that system looks kinda broken to me, i hope the have limits in how to use this crushing blows.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It's similar to Lethal Hits in SCVI which in my opinion is one of the best new fighting game mechanics in years, I'm very excited for them and am hoping that it adds some needed depth to character designs and risk/reward situations.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I personally love this idea myself. I really like the cinematic feel of them, and I like the idea that they're able to enhance the cinematic experience MK9 started with as the game goes on. They also seem like Brutalities with the requirements, which I also happen to love.
Besides... Krushing Blows only take like, maybe 1 second to finish? Maybe 1.5. It's not that serious. I doubt it'll disrupt the gameplay flow.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I personally love this idea myself. I really like the cinematic feel of them, and I like the idea that they're able to enhance the cinematic experience MK9 started with as the game goes on. They also seem like Brutalities with the requirements, which I also happen to love.
Besides... Krushing Blows only take like, maybe 1 second to finish? Maybe 1.5. It's not that serious. I doubt it'll disrupt the gameplay flow.
People that are saying it will interrupt the flow are being too damn dramatic.

I think they kinda take you out of the game, they are fast but i would like to have the option to disable the zooming in on crushing blows, im ok with fatal blows because they occur way less often and they just took the place of X-Rays which were ok too.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I don't like that a random uppercut or string can do 25% based on some preset factors. It can really throw off the game for the better player.
You contradict yourself.

It isn’t random if it requires specific preset factors to be accomplished.

And if you’re a competent player you know your match ups.

There is actually an option that makes it even more deliberate. You can set the game so that you hold your KBs for strategic use, so you don’t just automatically do them the next time you land a string or attack.

I hope that’s the default moving forward, it makes more sense that way, and also I could imagine them making it automatic for the demo just so casuals can see them more often

You contradict yourself.

It isn’t random if it requires specific preset factors to be accomplished.

And if you’re a competent player you know your match ups.

There is actually an option that makes it even more deliberate. You can set the game so that you hold your KBs for strategic use, so you don’t just automatically do them the next time you land a string or attack.

I hope that’s the default moving forward, it makes more sense that way, and also I could imagine them making it automatic for the demo just so casuals can see them more often
Something can have preset conditions and still be random. For example the uppercut happens when you duck a jab or throw and punish with uppercut. There's no way you can predict what your opponent is going to do so you just mashed d2 in a pressure situation and got lucky with a krushing blow. Maybe you weren't even reading a jab and instead a jump but your opponent got d2 krushed anyway. It's that kind of shit that makes it unfun.

Here's another example, you gain a krushing blow when your opponent guesses wrong on a throw break. Since its 50\50 anyway if you even attempt a throw break you might get unlucky and have a krushing blow end your life.

Yes they're preset conditions but that doesn't mean your opponent predicted anything. It's a coinflip

Do you really think players are gonna memorize all 5 or 6 krush situations for every character? Do you remember all the brutality options for every character in mkx.

Even if it's not random when you play against a lesser known character it's going to be unfun and unpredictable.

Not to mention some characters are inevitably going to have better krush options than others.

If they're gonna make krushes this powerful then they need to be possible only in hard-read situations

Last edited:

kevkopdx

Noob
The only thing that really concerns me is the amount of damage that they do. Maybe it's because we're not seeing many lengthy combos as we did in mkx, but something just feels really strange about being hit and suddenly losing appx. 30% life off of something that'd otherwise do 15-20.

@Charybdis did the krushing blows have any noticeable impact on the flow of your games, or is it something you think we'll get used to after a few matches?
This is exactly what I was saying in another thread.. I’ll also add that some crushing blows are string specific, so even as the one doing it, you may trigger it unintentionally or you will have to not use a string unless you want it to activate...
Geras, for example has a string where the last hit is an overhead, if u block low, the crushing blow activates, it’s a 50/50 as well since he can end in a low, if you block the whole string except for the last hit, goodbye 35% health. The system seems really corny and poorly laid out.
Yes it’s only once per match but with 5/6 ways to do it per character, it’s going to be very hard to account for the possibilities of randomly losing a huge chunk of health.

kevkopdx

Noob
Something can have preset conditions and still be random. For example the uppercut happens when you duck a jab or throw and punish with uppercut. There's no way you can predict what your opponent is going to do so you just mashed d2 in a pressure situation and got lucky with a krushing blow. Maybe you weren't even reading a jab and instead a jump but your opponent got d2 krushed anyway. It's that kind of shit that makes it unfun.

Here's another example, you gain a krushing blow when your opponent guesses wrong on a throw break. Since its 50\50 anyway if you even attempt a throw break you might get unlucky and have a krushing blow end your life.

Yes they're preset conditions but that doesn't mean your opponent predicted anything. It's a coinflip

Do you really think players are gonna memorize all 5 or 6 krush situations for every character? Do you remember all the brutality options for every character in mkx.

Even if it's not random when you play against a lesser known character it's going to be unfun and unpredictable.

If they're gonna make krushes this powerful then they need to be possible only in hard-read situations
Thank you my thoughts exactly and you explain it better!

Marinjuana

Geras, for example has a string where the last hit is an overhead, if u block low, the crushing blow activates, it’s a 50/50 as well since he can end in a low, if you block the whole string except for the last hit, goodbye 35% health. The system seems really corny and poorly laid out.
What's the problem?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

Why would I need to remember every brutality option when they only have a cosmetic effect on gameplay? Even then I knew most back when I played the game a lot because the things you’d have to do for a lot of them were super telegraphed.

As for these, you’ll learn them after fighting each character a few times(even faster if you do what you should in every fighter, lab the cast for a few minutes each to feel them out). Their attacks aren’t going to magically be new or different after week one, when you’re used to it all.

I’ll tell you exactly how this will go. You’re going to be shaken by them for the first week. After you’ve fought most of the cast a bunch of times you’re going to notice you only ever really see two or three at the most KBs being used often from each character outside of extremely uncommon situational moments or heavily telegraphed set ups. Those two or three KBs are gonna plant themselves in your mind like every other major option that character has and you’ll know to look out for it from them on and it won’t catch you “randomly” anymore.

It’s kinda like Tekken, each character has about a hundred strings but you only really need to know your opponent character’s best 10, and after fighting a character a few times those strings become aggressively clear. You might get caught by some crazy shit every now and then but eventually that’ll work it’s way into the thing you naturally worry about as well.

kevkopdx

Noob
What's the problem?
My main problem is that I feel like the damage is too high considering strings seem to do a lot less damage this game. My other problem is there is no visual way to know that your opponent can/will do one of these moves. If I can expect a large damage meter burned move, that’s one thing, but the possibility of 5 or 6 ways to do as much damage as a super at any moment seems ridiculous

RagingRicans

NetBattles
Are we talking about the Fatal blows or Krushing Blows?

I don’t think everyone’s on the same page.

Krushing blows are cool AF and Fatal looks like common comeback mechanic.

Either way people are always afraid of change at first

Marinjuana

My main problem is that I feel like the damage is too high considering strings seem to do a lot less damage this game. My other problem is there is no visual way to know that your opponent can/will do one of these moves. If I can expect a large damage meter burned move, that’s one thing, but the possibility of 5 or 6 ways to do as much damage as a super at any moment seems ridiculous
I'm not really sure the damage is that high but I've only seen so much. But I was specifically talking about that Geras case. I didn't see it but I guess he has the ability to do big damage on the overhead so you have to consider that while blocking, assuming he didn't land it already. In that situation, you just learn that blocking low there is a big risk and figure out a way to deal with it. That's not random, you just learn the situation.

I think you guys are overblowing it too. There's probably going to just be a couple per character that are super relevant as a defender, some will just be an offense thing and you just try to understand that there's higher risk involved with some of these moves then initially appears. I'm pretty sure Sonya had one where she hits you with the MB version of her cheerios, as a defender you're never gonna not wanna block/avoid that anyway so it's just a matter of knowing that she can do X amount of damage in a certain situation.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I don't mind the concept but i need them to tone down the damage. The damage for krushing blows and fatal blows seems unneccessarily high. Give like a 2-3% increase. Don't insta-kill me with a single projective at 1/3rd life. That's bull.
NRS will do a final patch before release. They always do. Nothing is set in stone yet. The damage scaling will probably be balanced out I'm sure of it but the mechanic is decent and I can see why they did it.

Legitimate concern though in my opinion.

kevkopdx

Noob
I'm not really sure the damage is that high but I've only seen so much. But I was specifically talking about that Geras case. I didn't see it but I guess he has the ability to do big damage on the overhead so you have to consider that while blocking, assuming he didn't land it already. In that situation, you just learn that blocking low there is a big risk and figure out a way to deal with it. That's not random, you just learn the situation.

I think you guys are overblowing it too. There's probably going to just be a couple per character that are super relevant as a defender, some will just be an offense thing and you just try to understand that there's higher risk involved with some of these moves then initially appears. I'm pretty sure Sonya had one where she hits you with the MB version of her cheerios, as a defender you're never gonna not gonna wanna block/avoid that anyway so it's just a matter of knowing that she can do X amount of damage in a certain situation.
Yeah I totally get that, I’m not trying to overblow anything, just ranting on what we were shown. The Geras damage from that move was 35% only landing the last hit.
I’m hoping you’re right and most of it can be planned for, but it seems like a balancing nightmare with that many moves per character. I’m not sold on the mechanic and will be curious to see more.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I wouldn't get too caught up on the damage. Who knows how old the build is and what balances they've made since?

I'm more curious about their activation. If they are significantly useful, I'd personally lean towards holding on to them for specific moments.

I wouldn't want the game to decide when I use something powerful and then boom, 12 seconds into round 1 I've already used it up.