What's new

"I do not serve Shang Tsung!" - Reptile General Thread

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
What would you guys say Reptile's playstyle is?

I'm trying to figure out what my innate playstyle is, and Reptile is pretty much the perfect character for me, but it's hard to label him since he can do so much.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
What would you guys say Reptile's playstyle is?

I'm trying to figure out what my innate playstyle is, and Reptile is pretty much the perfect character for me, but it's hard to label him since he can do so much.
I've been trying to label him myself, he's certainly rush orientated but he's very opportunist related as well. His meter usage is mostly situational, unless I'm following a 321 with a fast FB and a slow FB to apply chip pressure then I generaly don't use his meter. I have found D3 Ex acid hand 32 FB 32 FB 321 for 29% to be a viable use of meter though due to how unexpected it is.

In summary, I can't really describe him. Dictator is my native SF character and I certainly see some similarities in there regarding elbow dash/slide and slide/psycho crusher in the opportunist department.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I sorta see him as a character who pretty much can pressure from anywhere on the screen. It's like, one minute he's chucking projectiles from like 3/4 of the screen, capable of starting a combo from that range due to elbow...to just in your face while you're blocking. The elbow allows for absolutely random frametraps from like 1/3 the screen. After knockdowns, he can put a forceball on screen to get you to block, and go to whatever he wants to do, whether it's get back in or throw more forceballs.

Reptile is my secundary character and so much easyer to play with than sektor. he has such good pressure with his elbow dash. Also able to make kung lao defensive wich is bad for kung lao players. Online it's easy to kick lots of kung lao players with just elbow dash lol. Ofcourse if i had to stand in front of perfectlegend or justin im roasted. Props to you THTB to keep your cool against such sick kung lao players xd. Reptile is difinetely my fav ninja

THTB

Kung players at PL's level of play give me fits...moreso because the matchup is just not a good one for Reptile lol...

after watching Chris G in a couple match vids, I realized he uses the 1,2,2~bb+1/3. Is this the string people should be using more other than the 3,2,1? Does it have any special properties? I mean in the app I downloaded for Android it isn't even labeled under "best normals" in the guide Brady wrote.

I noticed on hit it staggers after the last hit and the forceball is unanavoidable. I guess my question is why use 3,2,1 elbow dash, njp (and probably fuck up if its online casuals) when you could be getting decent damage (maybe like 10% less damage) as a sure thing?

The difference is that you can be poked out of 1,2,2,1 anytime during the first 1 and 2 since they both hit high. The range is also not very good (3 will hit where 1,2 would whiff), so 3,2,1 is a more reliable string. However, the combo is definitely easier to pick up off of 1,2,2,bb+3, so after a jump in punch, for example, or if you're safe behind an EX slow force ball, it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Question. So I was playing casuals and somehow I did some move that reptile front flip onto the opponent? Wtf. It's not on his movelist? !

Havik

Noob
After 24 hours of playing reptile and 304 victories, I realize that I was best with reptile. I never saw myself as playing reptile but after watching THTB's video on youtube, I gave him a try. And I haven't looked back since. But I gained mastery of him so I guess it's time to move on

I was watching some Chris G (REP) vs Tom Brady (Sub Zero) fight online the other day and I saw Chris G do this sick mixup. First he would land an elbow dash then he would do 3 consecutive elbow dashes and get a throw in. He caught Brady with it probably 3 or 4 times. Anyway I tried doing it against the computer and online, it works on the computer sometimes but is easily avoided (roll or wake up) and punished by human players even if they don't know its coming.......it looked pretty solid and led me to believe so cause Brady kept falling for it. So unless I'm just doing it wrong (haven't landed it on a human player once yet).....anyone confirm that this works consistently?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I can land it about 70% of the time, but it can also be easily avoided if your opponent knows what to do. What problems are you having? Does the throw just whiff?

THTB

I was watching some Chris G (REP) vs Tom Brady (Sub Zero) fight online the other day and I saw Chris G do this sick mixup. First he would land an elbow dash then he would do 3 consecutive elbow dashes and get a throw in. He caught Brady with it probably 3 or 4 times. Anyway I tried doing it against the computer and online, it works on the computer sometimes but is easily avoided (roll or wake up) and punished by human players even if they don't know its coming.......it looked pretty solid and led me to believe so cause Brady kept falling for it. So unless I'm just doing it wrong (haven't landed it on a human player once yet).....anyone confirm that this works consistently?
It's a pretty solid mixup, but gets beat by wakeup attacks.

I can land it about 70% of the time, but it can also be easily avoided if your opponent knows what to do. What problems are you having? Does the throw just whiff?
naw it's just what thtb said, getting stuffed by a wake up everytime or they just roll away or stay down and throw gets whiffed. haven't really encountered any players that do nothing after a knockdown.......that kinda sucks cause it looks so sick when pulled off.

thx anyway