What's new

Match-up Discussion I cant handle good Nightwing

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Few key things to remember in this match.

You only have to respect his EX Ground spark on block, as he gets a free ground spark afterwards. (Staff stance)

On block from a regular ground spark, you have to jump or dash or else you will be hit by another ground spark, if you jump they can do an almost full screen greyson.

About the Greyson, it is -3 on block, so if you are a character that has a good d1 game, WW, Doomsday, Nightwing, Green Arrow, etc, then you can always d1 them before they can mash their D1's, as long as you have an 8 frame or faster d1, you will always out beat them.

On wiff, it is full punishable, but you have to crouch and then instantly punish it.

His D1 game doesn't need to be respected as much as you think, it isn't a matter of his d1 being + on block, its a matter of how many d1's he will do, he has to commit to a normal attack eventually, so don't sit in crouch all day respecting it or you will get hit by NJ2. You can full combo punish Nightwing players for not hit confirming 1F1 EX ground spark, that can be interrupted.

Its only a match up that causes major problems when you don't know what you can do in it, and most of the nightwing players out there are just doing what they want because people are not punishing them.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Few key things to remember in this match.

You only have to respect his EX Ground spark on block, as he gets a free ground spark afterwards. (Staff stance)

On block from a regular ground spark, you have to jump or dash or else you will be hit by another ground spark, if you jump they can do an almost full screen greyson.

About the Greyson, it is -3 on block, so if you are a character that has a good d1 game, WW, Doomsday, Nightwing, Green Arrow, etc, then you can always d1 them before they can mash their D1's, as long as you have an 8 frame or faster d1, you will always out beat them.

On wiff, it is full punishable, but you have to crouch and then instantly punish it.

His D1 game doesn't need to be respected as much as you think, it isn't a matter of his d1 being + on block, its a matter of how many d1's he will do, he has to commit to a normal attack eventually, so don't sit in crouch all day respecting it or you will get hit by NJ2. You can full combo punish Nightwing players for not hit confirming 1F1 EX ground spark, that can be interrupted.

Its only a match up that causes major problems when you don't know what you can do in it, and most of the nightwing players out there are just doing what they want because people are not punishing them.

I like NJ1 better. It's much faster :p

And shhhhhhhh. :p

But yes, once people understand how much pushblocking truly fucks Nightwing over and understand why his d1 is + they will start exploiting staff mode. People are already starting to learn how to exploit the grayson ;).

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Basically I need to pick up Dick and play with him awhile so I can learn how to use him and spot his strings better...

That whole sentence was sexy.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Only meterless Aquaman moves you can interrupt staff 1f1~Ground Blast MB with are d1, f1 and d2. d1 is by far the best damage if you do d1~DB2, b12~whatever. However, d1 can whiff if you were midscreen and backpedaling a bit when you blocked staff 1f1. d2 can trade at max range to save you from a combo. Sadly Aquaman's 9f moves (1, and more tragically, b1) will trade at best if done frame-perfect out of this string. His 7f moves are the slowest unarmored moves you can try out of this string.

With 1 stock you can do MB f3/b3 before the Ground Blast, but if you do it too late you will get hit by the 2nd hit of the Ground Blast. But on the plus side, if you mash them during an airtight string (like if Nightwing decides to do 1f1~Staff Spin MB instead), you'll probably just OS a pushblock anyway.

I still think this matchup causes major problems even IF you understand it, lol. Nightwing has a TON of options against Aquaman, lots of ways to mix it up at much lower risk than Aquaman (who kinda HAS to take risks to win this matchup). You can't just defuse a select few tactics and call it won. Absolute best case scenario for Aquaman I think it's 5-5. No way it's his favor.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Hey i have this same matchup problem with every character that has in air projectiles that throws them midscreen.
Aquaman cant do shit about it. The best thing ive come up with is try to anticipate and get close enough to whack them with armored back 3. Dont know if that works against wing dings though bro since theres 4 hits on them :(

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Hey i have this same matchup problem with every character that has in air projectiles that throws them midscreen.
Aquaman cant do shit about it. The best thing ive come up with is try to anticipate and get close enough to whack them with armored back 3. Dont know if that works against wing dings though bro since theres 4 hits on them :(
Dash under at close range, air to air at mid range, and trade with a trident throw at long range. Honestly if you just labbed it for 15 minutes you would figure this out.