What's new

How would you like to see MK 11 develop?

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
So we have the game it's great on the whole but does of course have well documented issues. How would you like to see it develop over course of the next year or two? Perhaps in a MK XL style release ("Mortal Kombat: Turn it up to 11" edition) Please be semi realistic so no 50+ fighters, new story mode campaign as big in the main game etc.

With this possibly been the last MK game for a while and planned to be the longest supported NRS game it has the potential to be morphed the most over its life cycle.

I'd like:

• 2 season passes of 6 characters
  • Free stages or stages to buy.
  • Character Tutorials for DLC characters.
  • Tag team mode been fully functional game mode.
  • More variety in skins for characters that are lacking (Cassie, Jade etc) either free or paid.
  • Mortal Kombat main theme put into the game for the final battle, or just added in anywhere to be fair.
  • Previous games cutscenes/endings added to the Krypt (Like in Tekken 7) to balance out all the necessary but not so exciting unlocks, like the Icons.
  • Customise characters on the select screen/in practice etc.

Last edited:

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
I'm going to go wiiiiiith.....

1. , All those ridiculous "Fan Favorites" added eventually, make it the MK swan song like Smash Ultimate
  2. Even more Character Tutorials, let's see some Kombo challenges. Really let new players sink their teeth into the meta
  3. More variety in skins including Klassics done right, and brand new exciting outfits for everyone as well designed as Jacqui's
  4. More fatalities for everyone. Let's break new ground and give everyone 4, they can equip 2 at a time. Variety is the spice of life
  5. The ability to kustomize hair, being able to wear Cassie's ponytail in her Mass Effect armor for example
  6. Being able to use outfits from revenants in human skins.

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
I'm going to go wiiiiiith.....

1. , All those ridiculous "Fan Favorites" added eventually, make it the MK swan song like Smash Ultimate
  2. Even more Character Tutorials, let's see some Kombo challenges. Really let new players sink their teeth into the meta
  3. More variety in skins including Klassics done right, and brand new exciting outfits for everyone as well designed as Jacqui's
  4. More fatalities for everyone. Let's break new ground and give everyone 4, they can equip 2 at a time. Variety is the spice of life
  5. The ability to kustomize hair, being able to wear Cassie's ponytail in her Mass Effect armor for example
  6. Being able to use outfits from revenants in human skins.
All really good realistic suggestions. The fatalities would be a lot of work but it could be the next skus big addition like the learn centre was for Injustice 2 (at least I think it was, I never went into it to my shame). It would make getting those hearts far less grindy.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
I'd settle for:

• kustom variations in ranked and tournaments, with updated menu options if needed
  • improved and simplified game economy for easier and quicker gear unlocking
  • new skins, fatalities, gear and moves as free DLC
  • tutorials for DLC characters

Kratilim

Noob
Whatever happens, dlc doesn't have to be free. Just fairly priced. If its good, I'll pay for it.

But the most important thing for me is to ease up on the krypt grind and tower grind. I like collecting stuff, especially brutalities and the like.

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
Oh here's a very easy one I forgot to mention.. Character loading sceens like MKX. Give us something to look at rather than the MK logo everytime!

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
The two default variations you can choose in practice to be the same as the tournament variations

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
I want it to not receive any patches unless it's game breaking stuff. Let it develop amongst us.
But true balence only comes once the game is in the hands of everyone. There's only so much you can do internally. You'd rather have potentially unbalanced characters in a competitive game forever? :)

BookBurning

Voidwards
But true balence only comes once the game is in the hands of everyone. There's only so much you can do internally. You'd rather have potentially unbalanced characters in a competitive game forever? :)
Historically, fighting games have received little patches over the years and this has been a more recent trend. Nobody wants imbalanced characters but unless a character is excessively strong or a glaring problem, alot of ways to deal with these characters gets overlooked or non-discovered simply because they become so patch happy. All patches tend to do is just reset the 'balance' in favor of a new tier list.

If anything patches should be slow and very well-thought out.

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
Historically, fighting games have received little patches over the years and this has been a more recent trend. Nobody wants imbalanced characters but unless a character is excessively strong or a glaring problem, alot of ways to deal with these characters gets overlooked or non-discovered simply because they become so patch happy. All patches tend to do is just reset the 'balance' in favor of a new tier list.

If anything patches should be slow and very well-thought out.
That makes sense. Yeah i agree with the last sentiment. Don't want everything been adjusted reactionary. True balence won't ever be possible unless every fighter played exactly the same/had the same moves. It's just the weaker ones that are brought up to be more viable that I think is the best use of patches balence wise.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Game doesn't really need a "balance" patch rn, but a lot of things feel not fleshed out enough. Some base characters feel like they lack diversity in their movesets and could stand to have more base specials or normals.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Slowly.

First I think we need to see what options characters have in each matchup.
We also need to severely reduce combo damage to around 20% tops, extended to 30% with meterburn. and a maximum of 40% even if there was meter used and Fatal Blow.

Also there are characters on the roster with Zoner levels of Range on their Safe Advancing Mids that have NO BUSINESS having that with how much damage they deal off of one good guess.

Also mixups, we were promised that they won't be prominent. They fucking are, just not everyone has them.

I feel like the game is going in the right direction with how active frames and range is somewhat competitive with good frames, though that still needs some work.

The character tutorials are alright, but I’d love them to incorporate uses for some of the custom moves.
Would love the progression to be more like injustice, where you earn stuff as you play.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Mike doesn't mean no balance updates at all. He's saying to let the game develop first before making balance changes. There's been numerous times in history where stuff got patched that really didn't need to, due to kneejerk reaction.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
- Ability to select abilities from character select screen.

- Have custom variations be tournament legal, with character balance still being a priority.

- Ability to enter ranked or player match queue from other modes like Practice or Klassic Towers.

- Player 2 in local versus has access to player 1’s unlocked content. :rolleyes::DOGE

- More in depth character tutorials. Combos, gameplan, etc.

- More skins released over time that aren’t just color swaps or minor alterations to existing skins.

- In game notifications of any and all game changes made to the game, especially hotfixes.

jcbowie

Slowly.

First I think we need to see what options characters have in each matchup.
We also need to severely reduce combo damage to around 20% tops, extended to 30% with meterburn. and a maximum of 40% even if there was meter used and Fatal Blow.

Also there are characters on the roster with Zoner levels of Range on their Safe Advancing Mids that have NO BUSINESS having that with how much damage they deal off of one good guess.

Also mixups, we were promised that they won't be prominent. They fucking are, just not everyone has them.

I feel like the game is going in the right direction with how active frames and range is somewhat competitive with good frames, though that still needs some work.
Why reduce combo damage so much? Helps keep the pace quick, and most bnb combos aren't nearly as big damage as previous games' were.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Why reduce combo damage so much?
This is what they promised. That combo damage would be significantly toned down yet I see certain characters do MKX levels of damage such as Baraka and Liu. These same characters also have advancing normals and great zoning all in one whereas characters who were acclaimed to be zoners and spacing characters such as Cetrion, Jade and Kitana are widely accepted to be suffering from issues.
Risk/Reward.

Helps keep the pace quick,
The pace was not meant to be quick, this is what they said when the pace of the game was mentioned. This game is meant to be more methodical. 30-40% for a single good guess is already way too much.
and most bnb combos aren't nearly as big damage as previous games' were.
I wouldn't use the term "most" at the moment. We'd have to actually see a list of the entire roster's ability to deal consistent, reliable damage. Jade for example can do 25-30% off of her f2 but it's an i28 overhead which is perfectly reactable and gets you flawless blocked more than how many times you'll actually land her ONLY Launcher.
At the same time she's supposed to be a Zoner yet Liu Kang puts her in the blender upclose and if she pokes out, all she gets is some chip and her space back. If she tries to zone him, he'll have either a teleport or significantly faster projectiles, one of which is in FC and one of which is an instant straight jump projectile, all of which counters her fairly well. If she activates Glow, Liu can literally walk in and do pressure again.
Jade's zoning is commonly i20. Liu's is i15-17. While the difference may not seem to be much, his projectiles also travel faster and are very + on hit, all of which plays to his ability to deal significant damage upclose.

And this is just one example of a character who can outspace and outzone a spacing zoner. There is also Baraka, Scorpion, etc etc. all of whom do significantly more damage off a single touch while Jade's punish nets her all of 7% usually.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
This is what they promised. That combo damage would be significantly toned down yet I see certain characters do MKX levels of damage such as Baraka and Liu. These same characters also have advancing normals and great zoning all in one whereas characters who were acclaimed to be zoners and spacing characters such as Cetrion, Jade and Kitana are widely accepted to be suffering from issues.
Risk/Reward.

The pace was not meant to be quick, this is what they said when the pace of the game was mentioned. This game is meant to be more methodical. 30-40% for a single good guess is already way too much.

I wouldn't use the term "most" at the moment. We'd have to actually see a list of the entire roster's ability to deal consistent, reliable damage. Jade for example can do 25-30% off of her f2 but it's an i28 overhead which is perfectly reactable and gets you flawless blocked more than how many times you'll actually land her ONLY Launcher.
At the same time she's supposed to be a Zoner yet Liu Kang puts her in the blender upclose and if she pokes out, all she gets is some chip and her space back. If she tries to zone him, he'll have either a teleport or significantly faster projectiles, one of which is in FC and one of which is an instant straight jump projectile, all of which counters her fairly well. If she activates Glow, Liu can literally walk in and do pressure again.
Jade's zoning is commonly i20. Liu's is i15-17. While the difference may not seem to be much, his projectiles also travel faster and are very + on hit, all of which plays to his ability to deal significant damage upclose.

And this is just one example of a character who can outspace and outzone a spacing zoner. There is also Baraka, Scorpion, etc etc. all of whom do significantly more damage off a single touch while Jade's punish nets her all of 7% usually.
I can agree to that. For a game that is meant to be slower paced and footsies based, there are too many characters consistently dishing out 30% on combos. So characters that are supposed to be neutral based need too many stray hits to be able to compete with that.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Something along those lines that I was thinking: I really really think that fatal blows shouldn't be allowed to be a part of combos. If you want to give a low health player an armored move as a last chance, sure, go ahead. Have it deal 30%+ by itself? Don't agree with it, since it feels shitty to be killed be a fatal blow without having mine available, but it's still tolerable.
But a player being able to perform a 50% combo while they're almost down, essentially being rewarded for losing, just feels like bullshit.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
But a player being able to perform a 50% combo while they're almost down, essentially being rewarded for losing, just feels like bullshit.
It's not a handout. FB can be blocked, some can be ducked, parried or otherwise evaded and blown up. SOME FB are a bit OD right now but I'm sure those will get looked at over time.

jcbowie

Risk/Reward.
Then why isn't the best answer to tone down the zoning abilities of all of these characters and improve the frames/damage of zoning for others who were designed to control space? All reducing the combo damage does is de-incentivize the use of combos or rushdown and then you end up with a cast of all the same spacing-zoney characters with varying degrees of their watered-down former archetypes. I'm not really bothered about whether or not they promised shorter combos, I think reducing combo damage so that every character can only get 20% as a baseline would make more characters unplayable than others newly playable.

The pace wasn't meant to be purely slow and methodical either, they billed I2 that way and didn't want to retread the same pacing criticisms that plagued it at launch. The quick pace is one of the bigger draws of this game right now anyways, and it keeps the game interesting despite the way characters are kind of limited in terms of how they can play right now.

Again, I would say that reducing combo damage is a bad way to correct this. Improving the frames and damage of her pokes and projectiles is much better than fundamentally changing down the way another character works. In this situation if the main fix is to reduce combo damage for Liu Kang then all that does is make zoning his primary mode of play, and then you just end up with a cast of watered-down zoners instead of diverse playstyles. In the case of Jade, maybe make her low pokes more advantageous on hit so that she gets better guaranteed pressure afterwards? Improve her projectile's frames? Give her better ranged mids to keep characters like Liu out? Tons of potential buffs that would fix her situation without taking away combo damage.

Buffing frames of pokes and space control moves and nerfing the frames on zoning for rushdown characters is a better way to make sure that different playstyles are equally viable while not completely taking away the playstyle of another character.