What's new

How would you guys feel about an "Alternate MK Universe or Multiverse" storyline at some point?

What if MK took an "Alternate Universe or Multiverse" storyline at some point?

• Total voters

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah, but WHY Sonya and Cage. what lies behind the survival of 2 specific characters? Ok, nightwolf sacrificed himself to stop sindel.Liu was killed by the hands of Raiden( if killed) But the others?

Jax, Smoke, Sub, Kitana, Kabal, Stryker, Jade randomly died by Sindel, but Sonya and Cage survived. why these 2? what's the plot behind it?
That's just how MK 9 ended man, lol it's not like it's going to be just Cage and Sonya vs. everyone else...besides, they did that because let's face it they couldn't "kill off" everyone of the good guys.

LK is dead, but who knows if he'll come back(he did come back from death once ironically due to Raiden resurrecting him in deception) wasn't so random, Sindel was sent there with a mission to back up the Lin Kuei should they have failed(which they did) what they didn't expect was an amped up Shang Tsung powered up Sindel, as to why and how she was able to kill almost everyone. Besides, NW killed her and himself. The plot behind it? It was a war going on between good guys and bad, no rules were in place concerning a tournament by MK 3 time(which is when they all got killed minus Sonya, Raiden and Cage)

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
Holy shit this was a good read. Totally distracted me from work. Please cary on. Lately I haven't cared about MK's story due to being more interested now in gameplay mechanics. However, stuff like this brings my interest up again. Sometimes the theories are more interesting than the actual story.

That's just how MK 9 ended man, lol it's not like it's going to be just Cage and Sonya vs. everyone else...besides, they did that because let's face it they couldn't "kill off" everyone of the good guys.

LK is dead, but who knows if he'll come back(he did come back from death once ironically due to Raiden resurrecting him in deception) wasn't so random, Sindel was sent there with a mission to back up the Lin Kuei should they have failed(which they did) what they didn't expect was an amped up Shang Tsung powered up Sindel, as to why and how she was able to kill almost everyone. Besides, NW killed her and himself. The plot behind it? It was a war going on between good guys and bad, no rules were in place concerning a tournament by MK 3 time(which is when they all got killed minus Sonya, Raiden and Cage)

You still don't get me….

WHY these 2 specific characters, and not someone else. why not Jax and Kitana, or Kabal and Smoke etc.!!!!

MKF30

You still don't get me….

WHY these 2 specific characters, and not someone else. why not Jax and Kitana, or Kabal and Smoke etc.!!!!
I GET what youre saying, what i dont get is why the big deal? Sounds liñe you just dont approve of them being the last two alive from mk9s good guys. As isaid, there will be more.

I GET what youre saying, what i dont get is why the big deal? Sounds liñe you just dont approve of them being the last two alive from mk9s good guys. As isaid, there will be more.
hahahahaha, No, of course i approve them! I just wonder what plot is behind these 2 survivors

MKF30

@ EarlyReflections: theyre survivors of earthrealm but will folloe raiden as so it was the way it ended. Should be cool

I'm not here for "multiverses". We just had this in Injustice, and it wasn't THAT cool. It was just an excuse to have BFFs fight each other. Yes, this theory would explain why Sub-Zero is alive, human and well, but I would've had him sit out this game (or come back as Cyber, at most).

They fucked up Subby and the other goodies 3 years ago. They should've just laid in that bed. But since they're not, I prefer the Bi-Han/Soulnado theory as an exclamation of Sub-Zero's MKX existence rather them some convoluted "multiverse". If I want all that, I'll just replay Injustice.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
You still don't get me….

In recent times NRS has been trying to broaden their fan base. IGAU for example allowed them to tap into the whole super hero fan base. NRS seems to be trying other angles as well, which brings me to your question. I believe Sonya and Cage were chosen partly because of their importance in the first MK movie. Since then they have become well recognized by casual fans who may not be drawn by characters such as Smoke or Kabal. Its just a theory though.:D

MKF30

I disagree jimmycricket, injustice had a cool story and even spawned a comic series. I didnt see it as an eccuse to have batman vs. Batman. We would have been sble to do that anyway.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
A really important part of the lore most people don't completely understand is the One Being. I even think most MK characters are unaware of it. The world we see in MK, all the characters and realms, are just the One Being's dreams whose conciousness was shattered with the use of the Kamidogus. It is implied in MKD that Onaga (and possibly Shao Khan as well), was influenced by him, and that is why he searches to fuse the Kamidogus, an act that would wake him up, while probably destroying the whole MK universe.

PD: While I don't consider cannon Shao Khan and Raiden being brothers, it is hinted in MKD that Shao Khan was the protector god of Outworld in the past. I believe Onaga tell's Shujinko he was his advisor in a similar way Raiden is for Earthrealm, and it was hinted by the chaosrealm people they were of the same race.
Yeah there was a quote that said Shao Kahn, Raiden and Lucifer were of the same race of beings.

C-Sword

Warrior
I'm sick of those in comic books already, so no. I was so disappointed by the Injustice story, I thought I was rewatching Infinite Crisis.

In recent times NRS has been trying to broaden their fan base. IGAU for example allowed them to tap into the whole super hero fan base. NRS seems to be trying other angles as well, which brings me to your question. I believe Sonya and Cage were chosen partly because of their importance in the first MK movie. Since then they have become well recognized by casual fans who may not be drawn by characters such as Smoke or Kabal. Its just a theory though.:D

Well that makes sense… never thought about it

MKF30

There was a quote hidden in backwards speech of NetherRealm or Chaosrealm denizens that said that.
Oh you're talking about the "beliefs" of the chaosrealm or NR people. Thought you were saying a bio confirmed they were all the same race, like what? lol. I have always seen the One Being though as the "devil" more or less of the MKU, relentless evil that corrupts people and never truly dies....and the EG as the God of the MK, keeping things in order.

MKF30

Oopp looks like we gotta a bot for shitty MK sites....

Hey it's the REAL MKC here on TYM, the REAL MK site. :)

BTW, who's "Lou Kang"? Think ya mean Liu Kang.

Last edited:

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
Oh you're talking about the "beliefs" of the chaosrealm or NR people. Thought you were saying a bio confirmed they were all the same race, like what? lol. I have always seen the One Being though as the "devil" more or less of the MKU, relentless evil that corrupts people and never truly dies....and the EG as the God of the MK, keeping things in order.
The backwards speech had hints to where they were taking the story... but Armageddon happened.

MKF30

The backwards speech had hints to where they were taking the story... but Armageddon happened.
Yeah, they also just said random stuff too(I remember John Vogel revealed that in an interview vid on youtube some where) now some things have changed while some things haven't.

gamesun

Mortal
Maybe the future Raiden who sent out the distress signal is alive and his dimension is changed due to the events of MK9 and this sets and resets what ever happened during his time. So instead of everybody being dead, some are alive and maybe others are completely different. This could set up for different characters and sort. I could also see the future MK world intertwining with the MK9 one, explaining that stuff that each character will have different styles(choosing the same character but from other dimensions). That would explain why it's called X to :).

Last edited:

MKF30

Maybe the future Raiden who sent out the distress signal is alive and his dimension is changed due to the events of MK9 and this sets and resets what ever happened during his time. So instead of everybody being dead, some are alive and maybe others are completely different. This could set up for different characters and sort. I could also see the future MK world intertwining with the MK9 one, explaining that stuff that each character will have different styles(choosing the same character but from other dimensions). That would explain why it's called X to :).
That would be odd lol

Eji1700

Kombatant
The one of the worst things about the DA era Mk's was just how ungodly convoluted the story got. By the end of armageddon shit was just surreal levels of wtf. One huge problem is you have a game literally built from the ground up on the idea of brutally murdering everyone you meet, and yet for plot reasons they almost never kill anyone.

MK9 was a pretty good job at taking a wonky as shit story, reworking it, and keeping it at "action movie" levels of plot. It's not shakespear, but it's entertaining. They got around the second issue by actually sitting down, pacing the plot, not doing the "WHICH ENDING IS CANNON" thing that fighters used to do, and letting some people die.

I'm already worried we're going to see zombies/clones/timetravel/dragon balls/whatever to justify the return of characters, but the very last thing they need is to start speeding towards armaggeddon and deception again. Yes there's multiple realms..ok fine. Here's a detailed description of each with multiple characters to represent them and their piddly little problems.....oh and space ships because fuck it. Wha? Oh and now there's a multiverse of this shit?

Keep it simple. The scorp/sub/quan plot is probably the best thing they've done because it's pretty easy to understand. These larger, crazier, multi realm things just get out of hand, and while you can keep that at a "hey this is fun" level, the more you complicate it the worse it's going to be.

MKF30

@MKF30 So, the reason of the specific 2 survivors we were talking the other day, is to give birth to Cassie Cage.. I've should have called it… fuck!
lol that and how iconic both are, (they were MK 1 characters too, NRS figured ok we can't kill EVERYONE iconic...lol) and probably to train new warriors I bet via Raiden's requests, I'm sure they trained Cassie. :) I just hope THIS Cage has no lame frame traps ;) I have a feeling Cage and Sonya will be in the game's plot, but not sure about playable. I doubt Sonya will be playable since they had a daughter that looks like her.

The one of the worst things about the DA era Mk's was just how ungodly convoluted the story got. By the end of armageddon shit was just surreal levels of wtf. One huge problem is you have a game literally built from the ground up on the idea of brutally murdering everyone you meet, and yet for plot reasons they almost never kill anyone.

MK9 was a pretty good job at taking a wonky as shit story, reworking it, and keeping it at "action movie" levels of plot. It's not shakespear, but it's entertaining. They got around the second issue by actually sitting down, pacing the plot, not doing the "WHICH ENDING IS CANNON" thing that fighters used to do, and letting some people die.

I'm already worried we're going to see zombies/clones/timetravel/dragon balls/whatever to justify the return of characters, but the very last thing they need is to start speeding towards armaggeddon and deception again. Yes there's multiple realms..ok fine. Here's a detailed description of each with multiple characters to represent them and their piddly little problems.....oh and space ships because fuck it. Wha? Oh and now there's a multiverse of this shit?

Keep it simple. The scorp/sub/quan plot is probably the best thing they've done because it's pretty easy to understand. These larger, crazier, multi realm things just get out of hand, and while you can keep that at a "hey this is fun" level, the more you complicate it the worse it's going to be.
Some of it is confusing, granted but if you're a hardcore MK follower like me it's not TOO bad....believe me lol compared to comics which I've been reading for years namely DC's infinite crisis, multiverse stories. MK is rather easy to follow in comparison lol but for a fighting game(since most have no or shitty plots) I can see how MK's is more complex to the new comer or casual MK fan.

But I do hope we see more of that post MK 9/MK4, MK DA, MK D and MK A era (since MK A won't happen) I'm curious to see how the plot changes.