What's new

How would you guys feel about an "Alternate MK Universe or Multiverse" storyline at some point?

What if MK took an "Alternate Universe or Multiverse" storyline at some point?

• Total voters

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Yeah, I was just referencing the future after the events of MK 3 since he kind of disappeared for a while there during MK 4. MKG they put him in but I don't think his story was canon there because I remember him hunting Cyrax and blowing him up, Jax and Sonya in his ending(obviously didn't happen) lol. I believe they first confirmed Sektor creating his new clan the Tekunin in the gameboy advance version of MK: Deadly alliance tournament edition.
Yeah, I just checked it. Sektor's MKG ending wasn't cannon, but Cyrax's was. That is when he joins the Special Forces.

Oh, a bit off topic, but even though I know MKSM is not canon, and the story is quite a mess, I still feel a few characters were represented better in that game than they were in MK9. Mostly Shang Tsung, Kung Lao, and Shao Khan.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah, I just checked it. Sektor's MKG ending wasn't cannon, but Cyrax's was. That is when he joins the Special Forces.

Oh, a bit off topic, but even though I know MKSM is not canon, and the story is quite a mess, I still feel a few characters were represented better in that game than they were in MK9. Mostly Shang Tsung, Kung Lao, and Shao Khan.
Yep. Shao Kahn I miss Steve Richie's voice I think that made a difference, KL to me was always a blah character lol. Like a wanna be Liu Kang in a way :p and Shang definitely seemed to do more in MK: SM story, morphing into Raiden throwing Liu Kang and Kung Lao off track etc, in MK 9 he was cool but seemed more like Kahn's lapdog without his own agenda like he has had in the past.

zerosebaz

Yep. Shao Kahn I miss Steve Richie's voice I think that made a difference, KL to me was always a blah character lol. Like a wanna be Liu Kang in a way :p and Shang definitely seemed to do more in MK: SM story, morphing into Raiden throwing Liu Kang and Kung Lao off track etc, in MK 9 he was cool but seemed more like Kahn's lapdog without his own agenda like he has had in the past.
Oh god, how much did I miss Richie in mk9. It would have been a great move to bring him back, it is true that it makes a difference. With Kung Lao I agree he is not great, but at least in MKSM he seemed more mature than in MK9, where he has the personality of a teenager. And yes again, Shang Tsung was supposed to be a deceptive, manipulative, back stabbing son of a bitch. They took all that away from him in MK9, sadly.

MKF30

Oh god, how much did I miss Richie in mk9. It would have been a great move to bring him back, it is true that it makes a difference. With Kung Lao I agree he is not great, but at least in MKSM he seemed more mature than in MK9, where he has the personality of a teenager. And yes again, Shang Tsung was supposed to be a deceptive, manipulative, back stabbing son of a bitch. They took all that away from him in MK9, sadly.
Yeah totally, Steve just has one of those badass voices. Shang Tsung, I think they made Shang more fearful of Shao Kahn in MK 9 lol. Then Shao Kahn killed him anyway lol while using his power to amp Sindel haha. Gotta laugh at that part. Quan-Chi on the other hand remained a tricky prick lol. Pretending to server Shao Kahn, but actually serving Shinnok and his own agenda, dooping Scorpion baiting him to kill Bi-Han even though Bi-Han was innocent there lol. He'll QC even fooled Shao Kahn. I agree, KL just jumped into that MK tournament and got his ass kicked by Scorpion lol.

I really don't want alternative universes. That begging for the continuity to be mucked up. Many of the realms established in Deception hasn't been flushed out hopefully yet. I want them to focus on that

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Since there are so many MK story junkies in here, I want to throw it out there that MKSM WAS canon (officially and entirely) before MK9.

Back in the days of MKSM's release, many people didn't accept the game as canonical because of all the deaths and things, but still that was the official story of the series. With MK9's release they did recon a few things (much of the adventuring and all that was a part of that from MKSM specifically) , but many of the general things that went down in MKSM, and/or events that were only introduced in MKSM, are still a part of the official canon today.

One example is that originally (both MKSM and MK2, but MKSM went more in depth) Raiden left all the earth warriors to their own devices as they all made their way through Outworld to meet up and take part in the TOURNEY...but MK9 changed that and he had a more hands on approach during that game.

trufenix

bye felicia
Sub-zero went to Outworld in MK2 to kill Shang Tsung sent by the clan, as Bi-han failed in the mission.
Smoke was the third prototype for cyborgs, so there should not have been others when Sub-zero is captured. He shouldn't even have been captured at that point, it happened when they returned to the clan after MK2.
That's a tricky one, because his plot in MKII is written under assumption, like his MK1 story ("IT IS BELIEVED"). MK3 says Sub was "betrayed by his clan" but it never says that was before after or during his MKII adventures. MK9 also never says he (and Smoke, and the others) weren't originally sent to kill Shang after MK1, it chimes in after he has obviously ventured off on his path for vengeance which could be the "broke sacred codes by leaving his clan" mentioned in MK3. Both continuities allow for the possibility that Sektor and Cyrax returned home after MK1, said shit went tits up and Lin Kuei responded by sending like 10 guys and Tundra/Smoke used that as an opportunity to bolt. The weird part is the whole swearing fealty to Shao Kahn in MK2 phase, but I guess it had to happen aat some point.

Kitana knew her origins and intended to kill Shao Khan, and Millena was not just born.
Kitana only finds out about Mileena because Raiden starts poisoning her thoughts with future stuff and she goes down to the flesh pits, had he kept his trap shut she never would have found out about Mileena. Its a definite retcon that Mileena was born right then and there, however, you could just as easily call that a divergence, and in the original timeline Kitana never went down there and was later put under a spell to believe she'd had a sister for years, similar to how she was decieved about Sindel. It's never actually said Mileena was a thousand years old like Kitana, only that Kitana believed she was her sister. More importantly, it ties up the HUGE plot hole that Jade has been by Kitana's side for a thousand years and never once said hey, where'd that evil bitch they call your sister come from?

Shang Tsung was the one to revive Sindel, not Quan Chi.
Sindel did not use a spell to protect Earthrealm, Shao Khan revived her as a way to trick the rules, as he entered Earthrealm to "claim his wife".
The Earthrealms warriors base was Nightwolf village, which was inmune to Khan's sorcery, not the church.
Kano convinced Shao Khan to use Earth's weapons in MK3, he was a prisoner during MKII
Again, this is all divergence stuff, not necessarily retcons. In MK9, Raiden's fuckery puts Kung Lao up against Shang and Quan and then Kintaro and after that Shao fucking kills him single handedly. This cheeses off Liu Kang so hard he fucking kills Shao Kahn. None of that happened originally. The end result is that Quan Chi saves Shao's life becomes the defacto sorceror and changes everything involving Shang and Sindel. Thus, EVERYTHING in MK3 could've happened differently. By the time they hit Sindel's rampage, the timeline is completely irreconciliable changed.

Noob Saibot was just spying for Shinnok during MK2, he had no business being in the tower with Goro when Liu Kang and Kung Lao went to rescue Kitana.
There's no evidence in either game to say these are exclusive circumstance. Noob and Quan Chi have the same job, and to do that they are both working for Shao Kahn. That might include guarding a princess and smelling Shokans if you're a newly minted demon man just learning how to use his shadow powers.

trufenix

bye felicia
Since there are so many MK story junkies in here, I want to throw it out there that MKSM WAS canon (officially and entirely) before MK9.

Back in the days of MKSM's release, many people didn't accept the game as canonical because of all the deaths and things, but still that was the official story of the series. With MK9's release they did recon a few things (much of the adventuring and all that was a part of that from MKSM specifically) , but many of the general things that went down in MKSM, and/or events that were only introduced in MKSM, are still a part of the official canon today.

One example is that originally (both MKSM and MK2, but MKSM went more in depth) Raiden left all the earth warriors to their own devices as they all made their way through Outworld to meet up and take part in the TOURNEY...but MK9 changed that and he had a more hands on approach during that game.
The parts of SM that don't conflict with series canon could certainly apply, but the reality is too much of MKSM from who they fight and when just completely don't reconcile with MK1 or 2 even if you ignore the killing. Couple that with the fact that MK2 was an actual tournament and not just two guys running around Outworld looking for their friends make it impossible. Given the fact that it came out at least 5 years after the games its supposed to retell its clear they never intended it to be canon. Just fun.

MKF30

Good post and the ending too was changed bigtime, as Raiden didn't kill Kahn in Outworld. Kahn invaded Earthrealm and the Elder Gods killed him well you know the rest lol.

I always saw MK: SM overall as certain things contradict others in the MK fighters therefore that game wasn't canon, however the game takes place in between MK and MK 2, so a lot could say was up for speculation as to get an idea what happened or what did happen while Liu Kang and KL go exploring, I believe at one point in MK 9 they do go off together(Cage even jokes saying why can't the Kung Fu twins handle it?) or something lol while they're fighting Noob, Sheeva etc in Outworld.

MK9 did actually retcon several things. I should look into some more carefully, but this is what i remember:

Sub-zero went to Outworld in MK2 to kill Shang Tsung sent by the clan, as Bi-han failed in the mission.
Smoke was the third prototype for cyborgs, so there should not have been others when Sub-zero is captured. He shouldn't even have been captured at that point, it happened when they returned to the clan after MK2.
Kitana knew her origins and intended to kill Shao Khan, and Millena was not just born.
Shang Tsung was the one to revive Sindel, not Quan Chi.
Sindel did not use a spell to protect Earthrealm, Shao Khan revived her as a way to trick the rules, as he entered Earthrealm to "claim his wife".
Noob Saibot was just spying for Shinnok during MK2, he had no business being in the tower with Goro when Liu Kang and Kung Lao went to rescue Kitana.
The Earthrealms warriors base was Nightwolf village, which was inmune to Khan's sorcery, not the church.
Kano convinced Shao Khan to use Earth's weapons in MK3, he was a prisoner during MKII

I know I can remember more if I think harder and research a little, but you get the idea.

Great facts, I would like to add that before the mk9 retcons, the subzero brothers were not kidnapped.
Their father was a secret Lin Kuei operative in USA ( lol)married with a caucasian woman , then returned to China- The kids followed their father's steps. This also explains Kuai Liang's non-asian characteristics in mk3

I'm not sure, but a remember a story about a subzero sister as well. not kidding

zerosebaz

Great facts, I would like to add that before the mk9 retcons, the subzero brothers were not kidnapped.
Their father was a secret Lin Kuei operative in USA ( lol)married with a caucasian woman , then returned to China- The kids followed their father's steps. This also explains Kuai Liang's non-asian characteristics in mk3

I'm not sure, but a remember a story about a subzero sister as well. not kidding
Yeah, I remember it too, she had stayed with their mother. There were rumours about Frost being that sister, but I think they were denied somewhere. Still, to be honest I never knew where this info came from, so I was never sure whether it was cannon or not.

MKF30

I really don't want alternative universes. That begging for the continuity to be mucked up. Many of the realms established in Deception hasn't been flushed out hopefully yet. I want them to focus on that
Ehh don't know about mucked up, more confusing for sure. ;) But it worked for comics and Injustice lol. I do agree though that they can expand more on other realms, some even unknown such as Vaeternus(Vampire realm where Nitara is from) Would be nice if they introduced a Werewolf realm, where everyone there is a werewolf.

I would like to see the other worlds expand, or just have a never-ending Earth vs Outworld/ Netherrealm battle. I don't care.

I only care for fan favorites being in the games. Yes.
One of the main reasons of MK9's success, is the original cast along with other classic elements. This move brought back all of us -arcade and old school fans of the 90's, and also helped the younger kinds to realize how much of a huge impact mk has in the pop culture.

Iconic characters like Scorpion, Subzero, Raiden, Liu , Kitana , and less iconic but still important like Mileena, Baraka, Cyrax should never be excluded again.

After all the whole MK universe swings around the Thundergod and his champion, the Royal family of Edenia, the Ninja rivals…And of course Don Shao Kahn and his "commissioners"

MKF30

MK Conquest they wrote in the story involving Sub-Zero's family(they were white) he had a sister that Scorpion's first right hand man(woman actually and lover) killed off.

Here's the episode, it's not canon but they could very well take cues from other non-canon source material revolving around the MKU.

Her name is Lisa(I know it's not canon but they could write that in, Frost being younger then the two older brothers.) could work.

Last thing: If I recall correctly, Quan Chi's first appearance was in MK: Defenders of the realm. So it seems they really inject things from the other media in MK's canon storytelling.

This thread is interesting, please, continue...

Bro, I wanted to ask you for like a year! Why you want Kia and Jaataka so much? I can understand Sareena as she was playable at a point and also had eyes for Subi- Han. But what about the other 2? have they appeared in any other game except MK mythologies? Just curious

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
The parts of SM that don't conflict with series canon could certainly apply, but the reality is too much of MKSM from who they fight and when just completely don't reconcile with MK1 or 2 even if you ignore the killing. Couple that with the fact that MK2 was an actual tournament and not just two guys running around Outworld looking for their friends make it impossible. Given the fact that it came out at least 5 years after the games its supposed to retell its clear they never intended it to be canon. Just fun.
Not really.

1) MK2 was dubbed the "Outworld tournament" , but it was never stated how things actually played out; people just assumed it played out just like the MK1 tourney (with good reason mind you). If you remember though, Jax's only mission was finding Sonya; Sub was just looking for Scorpion; Mileena was tasked with watching Kitana; and so on and so forth. Much of MK2's story as far as the tournament goes was based solely on speculation, but all the cast had a part to play regardless...but who actually took part in the actual tournament was never clear...until SM, which was changed with MK9.

2) If you are referring to Kung Lao being retroactively put in MK1 via SM being something that contradicted MK1, that is one of the huge things MK9 solidified into canon that started in SM. On top of that you can look at Kung Lao's mannerisms / character, and how that officially shifted to SM's portrayal rather than the MK2 /comic version. Also you can look at Goro being around during SM and how MK9 followed that model, as well as a few other things.

Another thing as well was that Boon was very much involved with the project, and that some of the official team were on the team that created that project.

MKF30

Last thing: If I recall correctly, Quan Chi's first appearance was in MK: Defenders of the realm. So it seems they really inject things from the other media in MK's canon storytelling.
Thats right, then quan chi actually appeared first mk game was mk mythologies sub zero :). Then mk 4(as far as his first appearance in a mk fighter.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Bro, I wanted to ask you for like a year! Why you want Kia and Jaataka so much? I can understand Sareena as she was playable at a point and also had eyes for Subi- Han. But what about the other 2? have they appeared in any other game except MK mythologies? Just curious
Exactly, they would become fan favorites for sure.

1.) They will fit right in with the story considering they all work for Quan Chi and are directly associated with Sub-Zero and Shinnok.
2.) They would essentially be "new" characters due to them being side characters and virtually unknown.
3.) Game play wise they could all have their own demonic styles/powers.
4.) MK needs more bad ass VILLAINOUS females

Sometimes the "henchmen" are more interesting than their leaders...
Because they deserve it, i see how quickly these caracters can become fan favourites, i get the sareena love, i do, i also think those two could at least be given the chance, because i do believe they have so much potencial such as many others lesser know characters who have been directly or indirectly involved with the story, without wasting much resorces on totally new but garbage,chars like cyber sub-zero

Because they deserve it, i see how quickly these caracters can become fan favourites, i get the sareena love, i do, i also think those two could at least be given the chance, because i do believe they have so much potencial such as many others lesser know characters who have been directly or indirectly involved with the story, without wasting much resorces on totally new but garbage,chars like cyber sub-zero

I get it. it would be a trio like Kit, Jade, Mil..

Never thought about it, and indeed they could be interesting as a team. Totally agree on the resources part

zerosebaz

That's a tricky one, because his plot in MKII is written under assumption, like his MK1 story ("IT IS BELIEVED"). MK3 says Sub was "betrayed by his clan" but it never says that was before after or during his MKII adventures. MK9 also never says he (and Smoke, and the others) weren't originally sent to kill Shang after MK1, it chimes in after he has obviously ventured off on his path for vengeance which could be the "broke sacred codes by leaving his clan" mentioned in MK3. Both continuities allow for the possibility that Sektor and Cyrax returned home after MK1, said shit went tits up and Lin Kuei responded by sending like 10 guys and Tundra/Smoke used that as an opportunity to bolt. The weird part is the whole swearing fealty to Shao Kahn in MK2 phase, but I guess it had to happen aat some point.
It is true the bios are written under assumption, but the ending is not.

"When Sub-Zero failed to return from the Shaolin tournament and rumor of Shang Tsung's survival reached the Lin Kuei clan, they immediately sent another assassin to complete the task. This new warrior is actually the younger brother of the original Sub-Zero."

And while MK9 doesn't say whether they had to kill Shang Tsung or not during MK1, it is clearly stated Kuai Liang and Smoke escaped the Lin Kuei to find out the details of Bi-Hans death "Our fellow Lin Kuei will not be far behind once our absence is discovered". It is true Kuai Liang planned to kill Shang Tsung if he was responsible, but he was not sent by the clan. Smokes bio in MK3 states he and Sub-zero tried to escape the automation process before smoke got captured, while also stating he was the third Cyborg prototype, which would mean that besides Cyrax and Sektor there shouldn't have been other cyborg ninjas when Raiden saved him. Cyrax's bio and Sektor's ending also contradict the "Lin Kuei working with Khan" thing we sad during MK9.

Kitana only finds out about Mileena because Raiden starts poisoning her thoughts with future stuff and she goes down to the flesh pits, had he kept his trap shut she never would have found out about Mileena. Its a definite retcon that Mileena was born right then and there, however, you could just as easily call that a divergence, and in the original timeline Kitana never went down there and was later put under a spell to believe she'd had a sister for years, similar to how she was decieved about Sindel. It's never actually said Mileena was a thousand years old like Kitana, only that Kitana believed she was her sister. More importantly, it ties up the HUGE plot hole that Jade has been by Kitana's side for a thousand years and never once said hey, where'd that evil bitch they call your sister come from?
Kitana's MKII ending would seem to show she learned about those things by herself.

"As a result of her years of work as an assassin, Kitana has learned many secrets, especially about her past. She discovers that Mileena is not her twin but a grotesque clone created by Shang Tsung. She learns that her parents were former rulers of the Outworld overthrown by Shao Kahn. "

I never bought the spell thing, as it is only stated in the MKSM cannon. While it is true it is not stated anywhere, I believe Millena would've been cloned while Kitana was a baby, having both been raised together.

Again, this is all divergence stuff, not necessarily retcons. In MK9, Raiden's fuckery puts Kung Lao up against Shang and Quan and then Kintaro and after that Shao fucking kills him single handedly. This cheeses off Liu Kang so hard he fucking kills Shao Kahn. None of that happened originally. The end result is that Quan Chi saves Shao's life becomes the defacto sorceror and changes everything involving Shang and Sindel. Thus, EVERYTHING in MK3 could've happened differently. By the time they hit Sindel's rampage, the timeline is completely irreconciliable changed.
MK3 intro states the plan to revive Sindel was something Khan has had in mind for 10.000 years, and in the MKM guide it was stated Shang Tsung revealed the location of the map of elements to Quan Chi in exchange of Shinnok's assistance with Sindel's revival. That happened before the first MK, so Quan Chi telling Shao Khan about Sindel's spell and reviving her by himself is a retcon, not a consequence of Raiden's actions.
The Nightwolf's land thing was my mistake, as his bio states they used them as base after the portal was opened, and in this timeline Khan was defeated right after that.

There's no evidence in either game to say these are exclusive circumstance. Noob and Quan Chi have the same job, and to do that they are both working for Shao Kahn. That might include guarding a princess and smelling Shokans if you're a newly minted demon man just learning how to use his shadow powers.
Yeah, this part is true. Although the phrase "At first a passive observer, Noob Saibot would soon receive orders to side with emperor Shao Khan" would imply that he wasn't working with him at least until the begining of MK3, it is debatable.

@MKF30

Dude the theory of multiverse seems even more possible than i first thought. I hate it happens, but the timing in real world and mk world is right for a big new fuck up in the MK saga.

The other theory of continuing mk9's story, but to a totally different direction than the first timeline seems legit as well.

Your explanation of mk9's ending? Why the sole 2 erthrealm's defenders who survive are Cage and Sonya specifically? why these 2?

MKF30

@MKF30

Dude the theory of multiverse seems even more possible than i first thought. I hate it happens, but the timing in real world and mk world is right for a big new fuck up in the MK saga.

The other theory of continuing mk9's story, but to a totally different direction than the first timeline seems legit as well.

Your explanation of mk9's ending? Why the sole 2 erthrealm's defenders who survive are Cage and Sonya specifically? why these 2?
Haha I actually hope so, some people think now Sub-Zero is definitely either resurrected, new Sub-Zero all together OR Sub-Zero from alternate Universe. :) I'm hyped! Eh I don't think it'll fuck it up, with the newer way they showcase the storyline hehe I'm actually excited for it. Look at Injustice, that was a tad confusing at times but it all made sense. MK has way less characters then DC does so I think it'll be cool.

Boon confirmed it'll be both continuation of MK 9's story and a new original story too, he also said hard to explain which makes me wonder if there's alternate MK Universe going on lol at some point mixing with the mainstream MKU.

Cage and Sonya happen to survive so I think they'll team up with some newer guys and perhaps older returning ones with say new allegiance? Like Ermac for example I believe if he returns he'll be good.(as he was in the original storyline once Kenshi freed him from Kahn's control/magic) this time Kahn is dead so Ermac should be released from his hold by default. My theory of good guys: Raiden, Sonya, Cage, Ermac, Fujin, a new Sub-Zero or posssibly Kuai Lian resurrected, insert new characters here lol, Kai at least. May be less numbers then MK9's good guys but this squad no doubt has more power....two gods, a powerful telekinetic ninja, cyromancer and who knows who else? Sonya and Cage can at least hold their own in H2H.

Haha I actually hope so, some people think now Sub-Zero is definitely either resurrected, new Sub-Zero all together OR Sub-Zero from alternate Universe. :) I'm hyped! Eh I don't think it'll fuck it up, with the newer way they showcase the storyline hehe I'm actually excited for it. Look at Injustice, that was a tad confusing at times but it all made sense. MK has way less characters then DC does so I think it'll be cool.

Boon confirmed it'll be both continuation of MK 9's story and a new original story too, he also said hard to explain which makes me wonder if there's alternate MK Universe going on lol at some point mixing with the mainstream MKU.

Cage and Sonya happen to survive so I think they'll team up with some newer guys and perhaps older returning ones with say new allegiance? Like Ermac for example I believe if he returns he'll be good.(as he was in the original storyline once Kenshi freed him from Kahn's control/magic) this time Kahn is dead so Ermac should be released from his hold by default. My theory of good guys: Raiden, Sonya, Cage, Ermac, Fujin, a new Sub-Zero or posssibly Kuai Lian resurrected, insert new characters here lol, Kai at least. May be less numbers then MK9's good guys but this squad no doubt has more power....two gods, a powerful telekinetic ninja, cyromancer and who knows who else? Sonya and Cage can at least hold their own in H2H.

Yeah, but WHY Sonya and Cage. what lies behind the survival of 2 specific characters? Ok, nightwolf sacrificed himself to stop sindel.Liu was killed by the hands of Raiden( if killed) But the others?

Jax, Smoke, Sub, Kitana, Kabal, Stryker, Jade randomly died by Sindel, but Sonya and Cage survived. why these 2? what's the plot behind it?