What's new

Guide - A-List How to utilize Johnny Cage's RCs

Nice writeup. Some of the cancels have their own quirks to them. Like I find inputting the SK on the second hit of 333 then canceling after the 3rd hit to be the most consistent for getting a good cancel. Same goes for 113. Other cancels seem to come out better the faster you input them, such as f2skrc or 4skrc.

I'd say if you're just starting out with A-List, start practicing with 121rc. It's the easiest one to get down in my opinion. After that I would practice f34rc, which is pretty similar to the input for 121rc. The easiest skrc to start practicing with is probably f24skrc. I'm not a big fan of 21skrc, d4skrc, or 11skrc but I'd suggest practicing all the other ones for sure. In order from most important to least important, this is how I would practice each cancel (in my opinion):

f34rc/f3skrc
113skrc
121rc
333skrc
114skrc
f24skrc
b34skrc
4skrc
f2skrc

The hardest thing to do with A-List to me is consistently doing jailing setups with 114skrc into 114skrc, f2skrc into f2skrc, or 333skrc into 333skrc. I've found 333skrc into 114skrc to be pretty doable, especially in the corner.

byAidan

I'm just looking to level up, ya feel?
Excuse me,f24 sk rc us plus?are you sure?
With how MKX is right now, yes. I haven't been able to check in the beta, as none of my friends have a code to play it .I'm planning on making a new thread with the updated frames if any major changes occur. The only thing I've found in the frame data is that D4 is now -6 on block.

byAidan

Are there any downsides to using SKRC after F3 and 12 instead of just F34RC and 121RC?
F3 skrc is more plus than F3 rc, but two consecutive ones will not jail into each other. It's quite plus without the SKRC, so I only use the jailing one. If you feel, however, that you prefer the more plus frames over jailing, feel free to use them. Just know it's all about your opponent in these situations.

Last edited:

byAidan

Nice writeup. Some of the cancels have their own quirks to them. Like I find inputting the SK on the second hit of 333 then canceling after the 3rd hit to be the most consistent for getting a good cancel. Same goes for 113. Other cancels seem to come out better the faster you input them, such as f2skrc or 4skrc.

I'd say if you're just starting out with A-List, start practicing with 121rc. It's the easiest one to get down in my opinion. After that I would practice f34rc, which is pretty similar to the input for 121rc. The easiest skrc to start practicing with is probably f24skrc. I'm not a big fan of 21skrc, d4skrc, or 11skrc but I'd suggest practicing all the other ones for sure. In order from most important to least important, this is how I would practice each cancel (in my opinion):

f34rc/f3skrc
113skrc
121rc
333skrc
114skrc
f24skrc
b34skrc
4skrc
f2skrc

The hardest thing to do with A-List to me is consistently doing jailing setups with 114skrc into 114skrc, f2skrc into f2skrc, or 333skrc into 333skrc. I've found 333skrc into 114skrc to be pretty doable, especially in the corner.
Just practice the inputs with imperfect run cancels in training mode. Once you get the inputs down, try them with perfect run cancels.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Lol I like how this guy talks like it's going to be a cake walk.
Oh come now. It's been thoroughly proven Cage is ridiculous-super-top-one tier. Those of us who lose matches with him should just stop playing MKX with how bad we are as to lose with our new, Hollywood Overlord.

Oh come now. It's been thoroughly proven Cage is ridiculous-super-top-one tier. Those of us who lose matches with him should just stop playing MKX with how bad we are as to lose with our new, Hollywood Overlord.
Haha he's very good I'm not downplaying at all but I hate how people are acting like he's brain dead like they can have frame perfect cancels down in an hour, if they aren't perfect you are going to get blown up by armor lol.

I don't see johnny cages online like I did with Lao and Tanya and the more recent triborg and mileenas.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Haha he's very good I'm not downplaying at all but I hate how people are acting like he's brain dead like they can have frame perfect cancels down in an hour, if they aren't perfect you are going to get blown up by armor lol.

I don't see johnny cages online like I did with Lao and Tanya and the more recent triborg and mileenas.
I know his cancels are hard, I've been on the lab for 3 hours with A-list, doesn't make him any less OP.

I've seem a lot of JC players lately actually. He's a pain to deal with, perfect cancels or not.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
I know his cancels are hard, I've been on the lab for 3 hours with A-list, doesn't make him any less OP.

I've seem a lot of JC players lately actually. He's a pain to deal with, perfect cancels or not.
Alot of characters are a pain to deal with.

Give me your gt when you feel like you have them down, I want to face one of(the many apparently) online op JCs

Alot of characters are a pain to deal with.
And we all know nrs can't nerf characters properly so he will be utterly useless lol. After the witch hunt for JC is over

We comin for u ronin takeda

We comin 4 u shoalin Kung Jin

We comin 4 u kotal khans buttons and dhalsim jump 1

We comin 4 u jax -1 poke

We comin 4 u Shinnok d4xxhellsparks or hellsparks in general

We comin 4 u demolition Sonya!

WE ARE FOR SURE COMING FOR YOU GRANDMASTER SUB ZERO.

Instead of the whole cast having dirt lets just have the whole cast be kenshi, problem solved.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
And we all know nrs can't nerf characters properly so he will be utterly useless lol. After the witch hunt for JC is over

We comin 4 u jax -1 poke

Instead of the whole cast having dirt lets just have the whole cast be kenshi, problem solved.
I think I'll just stick with Killer Instinct. When I saw the season 3 rebalance patch, I was so confused after a year of MKX that developers are capable of instituting nerfs and buffs to ALL characters to actually balance things out pretty well.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I've being leading alist the last few days

And I can't for the life of me get F3(4) RC F3 to jail.

Lokheit

Noob
Very informative thread, I tried from the beginning to use A-List as a secondary but I was only able to connect consistently the "regular moves" run cancels, at some point I will keep trying with him and knowing the numbers helps a lot.

F3 skrc is more plus than F3 rc, but two consecutive ones will not jail into each other. It's quite plus without the SKRC, so I only use the jailing one. If you feel, however, that you prefer the more plus frames over jailing, feel free to use them. Just know it's all about your opponent in these situations.
I'm confused here, if the advantage from the SKRC is higher than from the regular RC, shouldn't it jail too?

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
I've being leading alist the last few days

And I can't for the life of me get F3(4) RC F3 to jail.
Try it like this:
f3, hold down 4, then tap forward, then tap f+block+3
dont know how easy that is on pad, but on stick it works pretty much 100%

I'm confused here, if the advantage from the SKRC is higher than from the regular RC, shouldn't it jail too?
f3skrc jails into even f2 because its more plus. i dont know why someone would come up with the idea that it not jails bc it clearly does. f3skrc is pretty much the better version of f3(4)rc because you get more frames and more meter

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.

We comin 4 u jax -1 poke

Agreed but I bet most of you were part of Summoner witch hunt... The double standards are real.

And Shaolin and Khan are fine.

Agreed but I bet most of you were part of Summoner witch hunt... The double standards are real.

And Shaolin and Khan are fine.
Lol you don't get it.

My point is that it's a sliding scale forever and ever.

Cage gets obliterated a new person takes his place for a witch hunt and then they get destroyed too.

haha of course people were on the Quan chi witch hunt, everyone online was able to do that stupid vortex, at least you have to train with johnny cage, even dizzy was dropping run cancels.

Like I said once his two variations become like fisticuffs there will be a new person on the chopping block because when a top tier gets nerfed someone always takes it place.

And kotal khans buttons are ridiculous, 6 frame d1 and d4? Most of his normals advance half screen and are pretty safe, dudes a footsie god.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Lol you don't get it.

My point is that it's a sliding scale forever and ever.

Cage gets obliterated a new person takes his place for a witch hunt and then they get destroyed too.

haha of course people were on the Quan chi witch hunt, everyone online was able to do that stupid vortex, at least you have to train with johnny cage, even dizzy was dropping run cancels.

Like I said once his two variations become like fisticuffs there will be a new person on the chopping block because when a top tier gets nerfed someone always takes it place.

And kotal khans buttons are ridiculous, 6 frame d1 and d4? Most of his normals advance half screen and are pretty safe, dudes a footsie god.
Quan chi was actually hard to play imo. But the idea has always been that execution shouldn't matter on how balanced a char was.

Lokheit

Noob
But the idea has always been that execution shouldn't matter on how balanced a char was.
That's one of the main rules of game design, balanced goes first. Ideally every character should be as easy or difficult to play as any other, but being execution heavy shouldn't mean "I get more tools to win".

There are some serious execution disparities randomly asigned (I sill fail to understand why Jaquie's stanky leg isn't just Up4 like you can find in other characters in the game) and ideally those ones shouldn't be there, but balance goes first.