What's new

Guide - A-List How to utilize Johnny Cage's RCs

byAidan

I'm just looking to level up, ya feel?
I'm not taking credit for these, but I'd like to show what the strings should be used for and how to use them correctly.

Frame Data:

PLEASE NOTE: SK RC = Shadow Kick Run Cancel, while regular RC is normal run cancel)

11 SK RC = +4
21 SK RC = +7
121 RC = +13
114 SK RC = +17
113 SK RC = +1
B34 SK RC = +17
333 SK RC = +15
F24 SK RC = +11
4 SK RC = +23
F3 SK RC = +17
F3 RC = +12
F2 SK RC = +14
D4 SK RC = +5

How to use these strings:

11: is +2 without RC, so you can use this to try to get your opponent to poke or use an unsafe armor move.
Mix up 11 into 113 and 114 for the most optimal mixups.

21: By Far Johnny's best RC string for Grabs. Be aware that you must be very fast to execute the cancel correctly.

121: The second 1 can be held like Johnny's F34 for a run cancel. Use this in block strings and general footsies for good mixups when used with 11.

114: If used in the midscreen, ALWAYS follow up with Forward 3 to close in distance. When in the corner, follow up with 333 or B34 for good chip damage. Use this for 11 and 113 mixups.

113: Only being +1 and very interruptable, use this with caution. Condition your opponent to block low, then follow up with F24 (Overhead).

B34: Used mainly as chip damage, this is one of Johnny's best tools in the corner and midscreen. There is a lot of block stun after this, so it is fairly easy to execute. Use B34 in unison with 333 for max chip.

333: Use for chip damage in the corner. Follow up with another rep of this or B34 into EX Forceball for fantastic chip.

F24: Use this as much as possible. Can be used in unison with 113 for good mixups, and can be hit confirmed into great damage.

4: Very plus on block. Not used very often, but can be a good way to poke at your opponent.

F3 SK RC: Not used a lot as F34 RC is much easier, but can be used to close distance and maximize plus frames.

F34 RC: Easily Johnny's best pressure tool. This is a true block-string when done twice and can add on to combos when followed up by F24 or 113. Use this as much as possible.

F2: I have failed to find a use for this in my gameplay. Even @GGA Dizzy or any other great Johnny Cage player has used this (for what i've seen) in tournament or casual play.

D4: Johnny Cage's best poke. It can be cancelled for decent frames, but I recommend using it as a "reset the corner pressure" tool. For example, after you run out of stamina, I tend to use 114 or another string that has plus frames on block. After this, I go D4 into EX Forceball, or D4 EX Nutpunch/Shadow Kick if I think my opponent is going to armor.

BLOCK STRINGS:

Corner: B34 SK RC, 333 SK RC, 333 EX Force Ball, D4 "reset"

Anywhere: F34 RC, F24 SK RC, 121
12(1) RC, F24 SK RC, Throw.
114 SK RC, F34 RC, 333/121.

There are many possible strings, and that's where Johnny really shines. Mix up your strings in pressure, and make sure you utilize Johnny's throw, as throw timers can refill your stamina.

Disasterpiese

it's not over when you lose, it'over when you quit
Nice post, lots of cage players already know about this but its a good reminder =)

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
Thank you for the frames as well as block strings. I've been messing around with A-list for awhile but I didn't know what to do for block strings.

byAidan

Just making sure. I'm very new to doing RCs in combo and on block
If you're going to try a RC character, Johnny is a good way to start. I started off with doing the regular run cancels that require no shadow kick.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
If you're going to try a RC character, Johnny is a good way to start. I started off with doing the regular run cancels that require no shadow kick.
I actually got the formula together with HT Jacqui but Johnny definitely feels the best to do. I don't quite understand getting perfect cancels though. Like how fast I need to hit buttons, especially on block.

byAidan

I actually got the formula together with HT Jacqui but Johnny definitely feels the best to do. I don't quite understand getting perfect cancels though. Like how fast I need to hit buttons, especially on block.
On block cancels and on hit cancels have different timings, although the difference is quite small. My internet is crap, so I sit in the lab and do the cancels over and over again. There's no real "trick" to them, really. Even Honeybee messes up cancels sometimes.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
On block cancels and on hit cancels have different timings, although the difference is quite small. My internet is crap, so I sit in the lab and do the cancels over and over again. There's no real "trick" to them, really. Even Honeybee messes up cancels sometimes.
I practice with the computer on stance block and set to reversal. So if I'm doing it right for like a true block string they should stay in block stun throughout it.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Liu kang's are probably the easiest cancels to get down, then Jax, then Erron, then D'Vorah, then Jacqui, Raidn and finallyJohnny.

This is of course discounting the ridiculously easy dd cancels of say Predator, Tanya, Kano and Takeda

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Liu kang's are probably the easiest cancels to get down, then Jax, then Erron, then D'Vorah, then Jacqui, Raidn and finallyJohnny.

This is of course discounting the ridiculously easy dd cancels of say Predator, Tanya, Kano and Takeda
I can do all of the rc characters but I can't do the dd cancels to save my life. Go figure.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
So then are they less plus with imperfect run cancels?
No, they're just as plus. Only thing that if you spend more time running than what you should obviously you'll be spending some of those frames running which means you have less available frames to land your next move.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
No, they're just as plus. Only thing that if you spend more time running than what you should obviously you'll be spending some of those frames running which means you have less available frames to land your next move.
No for all intents and purposes they are less plus. This is because of 2 reasons;

1. You hold the cancelled move for more frames (so you lose some of your plus frames there)

2. You cancel the run with another move late (so you lose plus frames there)

Either way, they are less +.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Wait, what do you mean 1,2,1 RC and F3 RC? Are you missing something there? I would assume you meant F3, 4 RC, but about the other string I have no clue...

rafaw

#YouSuck
Are these the numbers for perfect run cancels? Like the half a bar of stamina ones
When you do it perfect, you should have more than half a bar, bc if you have just half a bar you cant do another rc! And when you do it right you can do 2 rc, a good one to start is this: 114skrc F3[4]rc 114. if you mess up something you wont be able to rc the F3, just dash cancels with the warning that you tryed to rc without enough stamina.