What's new

Tech How to use the Shield Stance

redeyes

Button Masher
SS j2 22 trait mb tiara b113 23 b3 j3 b113 lasso = 49% from sword / lasso

Tristan Verdum 22 mb shield is the dumbest combo to do. it whiff on certain stances and is a waste of meter.

redeyes

Button Masher
Lex Luthor II do not listen to that guy on WW tips. real WW players try & help him and he bashes what we say to help him.
if you watch his online combat video youll see what i mean by dont listen to him for ww advice.

Primiera

Wonderful Woman

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Her damage is fine.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/youre-no-match-for-an-amazon-wonder-woman-combo-thread.30646/

Look for the yellow combos in the corner. It's easy to get near 50% off of Lasso or SS.
Yeah I do the 33, 23, SS, 11b1x3[4], f12db1=42% combo. If I am feeling lucky I try it. and then i follow it up with the 2b1 dash, 11b1x4, f12db1 = 52% combo if it hits. But the timing is strict, if not, I just keep mixing it up in lasso stance. Honestly, once people get in the corner, they die. And if I feel a wakeup attack coming, I just back up about 5 feet, and b23 them. Or Parry like a doomsday charge.

If you are in the corner knocked down against Wonder Woman you are going to have a bad time.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Let's revive this thread some. What matchups are we finding shield to be most effective? I use it a lot in matchups like shazam (either stance is effective here though, I just feel like shield stance can really bully shazam effectively especially with meter), and green lantern (I think in theory this could be good but I haven't gotten to really play this.) I believe in almost every match switching between the two is most effective, but obviously sine matchups will favor a certain stance. What has everyone else found?

Kiko

Face it, you're done.
Shield stance helps MMH which can be an annoying MU.

If you're further than mid screen, immediately switch to SS and make your approach. Most MMH love trait when you're closing and shield is pretty good at wasting the time on it/ punishing with shield bash.

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
I don't like using SS vs Shazam because you're pretty screwed if he knocks you down. At least with lasso spin he has to be careful because he's eating a full combo if it hits. SS has nothing you need to respect on wakeup and it also doesn't help that her punish for torpedo in that stance is just d2, 223 (you might be able to get a stance switch combo but I don't recall). I also feel like you can control mid-range with pretty easily with b2 and he has to take a risk to do anything to you.

Obviously you can use it vs zoners in general with a good life lead since they really have to work to get it back. Otherwise if a character has wakeups that lose to MBf3 I'll sometimes do a stance switch combo in the corner and do that on their wakeup to read it and take 50%. I also like using b113~4~EX shield bash to follow up after the OTG and apply pressure sometimes vs characters with bad panic buttons.

SS is pretty good vs DD too since you can parry venom/EX venom if you're on point, and time out his trait by mashing on d1. It also counters Nightwing's staff stance pretty well since you can counter-zone with shield toss and lock him down with your own d1 since it has more frame advantage and parry his own attempts to use d1 pressure.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I don't like using SS vs Shazam because you're pretty screwed if he knocks you down. At least with lasso spin he has to be careful because he's eating a full combo if it hits. SS has nothing you need to respect on wakeup and it also doesn't help that her punish for torpedo in that stance is just d2, 223 (you might be able to get a stance switch combo but I don't recall). I also feel like you can control mid-range with pretty easily with b2 and he has to take a risk to do anything to you.

Obviously you can use it vs zoners in general with a good life lead since they really have to work to get it back. Otherwise if a character has wakeups that lose to MBf3 I'll sometimes do a stance switch combo in the corner and do that on their wakeup to read it and take 50%. I also like using b113~4~EX shield bash to follow up after the OTG and apply pressure sometimes vs characters with bad panic buttons.

SS is pretty good vs DD too since you can parry venom/EX venom if you're on point, and time out his trait by mashing on d1. It also counters Nightwing's staff stance pretty well since you can counter-zone with shield toss and lock him down with your own d1 since it has more frame advantage and parry his own attempts to use d1 pressure.
Good points about shazam. And hmmmm I will try it against doomsday.

RM_Gamer

Noob
against lex i just use instant air demigoddess on reaction. it stops all of his attempts for using his tools and it goes right over his projectile except the upward projectile

I have some questions and thoughts about ss.

I read that ss parry followup is special cancelable, is that true or false?

Is it possible to option select amazonian bash for a whiffed jump in?

Is j1 really +22 on block? Is j1 f3 a true block string? Is j1 1 a true blockstring?

My thought process is use + frames on block with mb smash to frame trap a j1 option selected with smash to punish backdashes then use +22 to mixup 112 b2 f3 and 2. Im going to test when I get home from gfs place ... You might.be able to option select j1 with forward dash or mb shield toss into big damage.

I would like some input from good WW players on the viability of using ONLY SS stance against certain characters- namely Doomsday. Any input is welcomed and appreciated- I have a big tourny this weekend. Allow me to note that I'm aware of all of WW's tech/combo options, so don't feel like you need to dumb anything down, and that I'm looking for any notes regarding the WW-DD matchup in general- not just those related to SS stance.

I've read on these forums that SS stance works well against DD, but I've been playing alot of DD players lately and having some trouble with a few of them. How exactly does SS benefit me greater than Lasso? It seems to me from my very brief experience with this method that I'm losing my meterless damage and my wake-up attack, the latter benefiting me greatly against DD's onslaught of 50/50 mixups on wakeup if I don't abuse it too much. If I'm not mistaken I cannot parry Venom nor can I use her shield toss in good consciousness, unless I want to eat a free Venom. I also lose my ever-important-for-spacing b23.

Is it a capitalization of her fast d1? Her b21/b23 mixups? What exactly should I be doing when utilizing SS stance against DD for an entire match, and how does that benefit me more than the lasso stance might? I would also appreciate a breakdown of his wakeup game, as DD players can easily bait and punish my lasso spin wakeup yet I'm having trouble punishing Nova or Upward Venom without using a MB f3. Also, what other characters are "easier" to fight utilizing ONLY SS stance? Why?

Again, any notes or help on the DD matchup is appreciated, but I'm mainly looking for input concerning the use of SS stance throughout an entire match. I can sort of wrap my head around the concept, but in practice it isn't working for me. Since I have seen great players advocating its use (Foxygrandpa, I think), I realize that I'm likely doing something wrong.

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
SS Parry is really abuseable vs DD because it works even if he's got trait up. He has no lows besides sweep so he has to bait it out to punish it. If your reactions are good you can punish him for doing raw venom a lot of the time, even if he spends meter. During trait you can also mash d1 to time it out. As far as punishing supernova you can just dash forward and take whatever punish you like. I'm not a fan of b21/b23 mix-ups unless your opponent is ignorant about WW since the overhead option is punishable on block.

Kiko

Face it, you're done.
Maybe I'm the creepy, weird WW that loves and lives in SS stance but this is what I use it for :]

People always ask me what I use meter for, and here's why I believe we have so much meter for.

For any opponent remotely close to the corner at all :

22 > trait, MB tiara > B113 (corner push) > MB shield bash > F1 > 11b1 x 4 > F12 shield bash = 55% (2 bars)

If you start the combo with a j2 in SS it would be 57% (yeah superman we're no slouch either!)

And if they are further away from the corner and closer to mid screen, you can do

J2 > 22 > MB shield toss > 22 > trait, MB tiara > B113 (corner push) > MB shield bash > F1 > 11b1 x 4 > F12 shield bash = 58% (3 bars)

The meter usage is worth the damage right off the bat in SS stance (especially since you want them in the corner). Also great for finishing rounds and post clash damage. Not to mention this works very close to mid screen (about one MB shield bash distance away From start of match) so it's an option for big damage from a distance away from the corner.

Any of these can be cancelled into lasso stance leading into her lasso mixups in the corner.

I see these as better meter usage versus random MB B3/F3 and MBing interactibles.

Also any optimizations or comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
3 bars of meter seems a little excessive... 2 bars of meter is even too much imo.

Using all that meter only weakens SS imo.

Kiko

Face it, you're done.
3 bars of meter seems a little excessive... 2 bars of meter is even too much imo.

Using all that meter only weakens SS imo.

It might be but that's why I added great for post clash damage or on the first life bar. Personally besides clashing and MB B3/F3, what else do we need meter for? Besides I don't mind spending it for better positioning on a combo vs. B3/F3.

Throwing in the occasional burst of damage is pretty useful in my matches IMO. Although I can see why people shy away from using meter.

If it makes you feel any better, this same exact set up and combo work without MB the shield bash within the combo, for only a few % less damage (making the first setup 1 bar)

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
It might be but that's why I added great for post clash damage or on the first life bar. Personally besides clashing and MB B3/F3, what else do we need meter for? Besides I don't mind spending it for better positioning on a combo vs. B3/F3.

Throwing in the occasional burst of damage is pretty useful in my matches IMO. Although I can see why people shy away from using meter.

If it makes you feel any better, this same exact set up and combo work without MB the shield bash within the combo, for only a few % less damage (making the first setup 1 bar)
If you want to use SS she pretty much needs the meter for it to be effective. In SS she is like Doomsday, with meter she can be a fucking beast but without it it's not really worth too much.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
How much does 22 trait mb tiara b113 b3 j3 b113 lasso grab do, and how is its corner carry compared to Kiko 's combo? It also has the perks of giving otgs. If they are similar in corner carry, I don't think I would ever bother with spending a second bar. I am also of the belief that if you are going to attempt to continue offense after a combo, it needs to be ended in lasso grab, crossover fwd3 setup, d2 otg setup, or sweep if it is off of a strange hit confirm and you just need to get in the knockdown ( i don't think this should even happen, ionly if you panic, but I listed it anyway lol). If I end a combo in SS 99 percent of the time I back up a little and either try to contain them in the corner if they are there or try to bait something out or just turtle. The only offensives things I will do are maybe a b2 50 50 for a kill or a crossover j2 to catch them off guard.

Kiko

Face it, you're done.
How much does 22 trait mb tiara b113 b3 j3 b113 lasso grab do, and how is its corner carry compared to Kiko 's combo? It also has the perks of giving otgs. If they are similar in corner carry, I don't think I would ever bother with spending a second bar. I am also of the belief that if you are going to attempt to continue offense after a combo, it needs to be ended in lasso grab, crossover fwd3 setup, d2 otg setup, or sweep if it is off of a strange hit confirm and you just need to get in the knockdown ( i don't think this should even happen, ionly if you panic, but I listed it anyway lol). If I end a combo in SS 99 percent of the time I back up a little and either try to contain them in the corner if they are there or try to bait something out or just turtle. The only offensives things I will do are maybe a b2 50 50 for a kill or a crossover j2 to catch them off guard.
Corner carry is similar and damage ranges from 41-49 depending on combo/interactible, and when I play WW, believe that I will torment in lasso 80% of the time or more but I won't throw out the option of doing 57% as a match closer (because I solidly believe WW only needs two combos to end a match) ;]

And d2 OTG is used in a couple vids, I think the doomsday videos have an example of it (foxy vs noobed)