What's new

Tech How to use the Shield Stance

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Actually, if you are whiffing on catwoman, you must switch your stance [not trait, but literally Left Trigger on xbox] , its weird, but I cant remember if you both must be open to each other or both have your backs to the screen, or if its the OTHER way around and one must have back to the screen and one must have chest to the screen. With this, you will never whiff on catwoman and frost.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
Was in training mode 2 days ago and noticed my shield combo would whiff on Catwoman. But if i remember though, it wouldnt whiff if Catwoman is facing the screen but when her back was to it, it would whiff. I never changed my stance.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
your still not understanding what i'm wanting, you have to open up defense in a match to start your rushdown, I don't see the point in using shield stance and having less mix-up opportunities, a match where shield stance wins the match or something is what I need to see this cause every WW I see on streams and such is all lasso, all the time, unless they turtle
Yea, thats the 1 problem.

MB F3 after MB shield bash in SS will beat out backdashes and protect you for 1 hit.

Droogy

Lets Fight Like Gentlemen
I need to test the stance change but I think that its more important to find more optomized combos against those characters like catwoman instead of trying to adapt other combos to work with them.

also @A FOxy Grampa
so what do you think we need before shield stance gets opened up?

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
B2, MB Shield Toss, 2, Trait, Lasso spin, 23, B3, J3, B113, Lasso grab

42% with 1 meter off a low in shield stance. Whiffs on some of the smaller characters though.

Primiera

Wonderful Woman
B2, MB Shield Toss, 2, Trait, Lasso spin, 23, B3, J3, B113, Lasso grab

42% with 1 meter off a low in shield stance. Whiffs on some of the smaller characters though.
b+2 xx MB BF2 > 2b+1 > (11b+1) X 4 > f+12 xx BF1 (48%)

48% low starter in the corner.

I'm thinking a big part of her SS game is her b+1, 11b+1, and 2b+1. 0 on block, which lets you check them with her superior d+1. Corner only, of course, but highly effective.

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
B2, Trait, MB Straight tiara, B113, 23, B3, J3, B113, Lasso grab

This one's better than the previous one I posted. 44% but more importantly works on all characters. Probably should put this in the combo thread instead lol.

redeyes

Button Masher
ok messing around in practice with lex's corps charge on reversal i found the following strings were safe to switch into laso again

2 trait
22 trait
2 b1 trait (distance specific )
F1 2 trait

also to get into SS
11 trait
112 trait
b113 trait
b2 trait ( need to be at least D12 push back range on block to be safe if next to them b2 trait is not safe)

some other stuff i found
b113 trait amalthea bash is not pokeable and can be block confirmed to be +9 in SS(already found before this)
amalthea bash on hit grants a free b23 /b21 mix up
idk if MB shield on blocks data is wrong but i found after a MB sheild on block i was able to J2 and lex could not reversal. havent tested on back dash tho.

would like some people to test some of this stuff to see if it works.

Primiera

Wonderful Woman
ok messing around in practice with lex's corps charge on reversal i found the following strings were safe to switch into laso again

2 trait
22 trait
2 b1 trait (distance specific )
F1 2 trait

also to get into SS
11 trait
112 trait
b113 trait
b2 trait ( need to be at least D12 push back range on block to be safe if next to them b2 trait is not safe)

some other stuff i found
b113 trait amalthea bash is not pokeable and can be block confirmed to be +9 in SS(already found before this)
idk if MB shield on blocks data is wrong but i found after a MB sheild on block i was able to J2 and lex could not reversal. havent tested on back dash tho.

That's sick if you get a free J2, my word! I did a bit of the leg work already for this kind of stuff:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/afgs-ww-tech-info.30810/page-3#post-893863

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
o

b23 and b21 after AB on hit is guaranteed only if done at closest range. From further than backdash distance b2 won't reach.
And I think training mode reversals are not instant when done by AI. I tried with GL's lift and AI couldn't punish, but I could.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Yea, basically, shield bash is +9 on hit, so either jump 2 to catch back dashes, or string/d1.

22 is 0 on block, 2 is + on block, b23 or b21 give hard knock downs.

B21 is low then overhead with a difficult -8 for the opponent, and b23 allows a mashed shield parry as its only -4.

22 can be hit confirmed into trait - ex Tiarra combo, or 22 can be confirmed into ex shield toss, then 2 - trait - spin b3 etc.

Shield stance takes less chip damage on block, meaning you can harbour a life lead on zoning characters easily, the match vs sinestro is laughable at times with a life lead in that stance.

Trait stance is the most fun thing in the game to use.

Primiera

Wonderful Woman
I still really find no good use for her SS 98% of the time :(
MB BF3, corner combos of death and in general turning near-corner LS hits into big damage, godly d+1 and d+2, her hop-like jump arc into J2 > 22 hit-confirm, her safe parry attack, b+2 guessing games, drastically reduced chip damage? Aren't these things good enough?

Akae47

Noob
I still really find no good use for her SS 98% of the time :(
I always use SS when I have my opponent cornered. I use most of the tech you guys post here. I trait cancel into SS after a confirmed 33, 23 trait MB Shield Throw 11b1 x3 f1 bf3 or b113 23 trait MB Shield Throw 11b1 x3 f1 bf3.

For me I use LS for zoning(WHIP!! WHIP!! WHIP!!) and mobility to get in on my opponent. Once I established the 50/50, high/low mix up game I try my best to push my opponent into the corner. In the corner SS can be very oppressive to some of the cast especially the characters with mid/high wake-up attacks.

SS Mode is great Lex I hope you find optimal uses for it. SS mode helps me in the Bane, DoomsDay, Aggressive Superman, Night Wings OP d1, Batman and Hawk Girl match ups. The ability to parry during strings is saves me from alot of late game pressure where I dont have to waste meter on Clash sometimes.

I may not be as knowledgeable on WW as you guys but I do have uses for SS.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
MB BF3, corner combos of death and in general turning near-corner LS hits into big damage, godly d+1 and d+2, her hop-like jump arc into J2 > 22 hit-confirm, her safe parry attack, b+2 guessing games, drastically reduced chip damage? Aren't these things good enough?

Her corner game in lasso stance is AMAZING. Whenever I get opponents in the corner its over. Her b23 combo for overheads, her 33 for low attacks, and throw. It really is over once they get in the corner. People always bitch about me when i get them in the corner. Her combos arent 50% like Supes, but nobody can ever get out.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
I always use SS when I have my opponent cornered. I use most of the tech you guys post here. I trait cancel into SS after a confirmed 33, 23 trait MB Shield Throw 11b1 x3 f1 bf3 or b113 23 trait MB Shield Throw 11b1 x3 f1 bf3.

For me I use LS for zoning(WHIP!! WHIP!! WHIP!!) and mobility to get in on my opponent. Once I established the 50/50, high/low mix up game I try my best to push my opponent into the corner. In the corner SS can be very oppressive to some of the cast especially the characters with mid/high wake-up attacks.

SS Mode is great Lex I hope you find optimal uses for it. SS mode helps me in the Bane, DoomsDay, Aggressive Superman, Night Wings OP d1, Batman and Hawk Girl match ups. The ability to parry during strings is saves me from alot of late game pressure where I dont have to waste meter on Clash sometimes.

I may not be as knowledgeable on WW as you guys but I do have uses for SS.
I dont have problems with anyone except maybe NW, so Imight have to try SS with him. how would Doomsday be easier with SS ey?

redeyes

Button Masher
Her corner game in lasso stance is AMAZING. Whenever I get opponents in the corner its over. Her b23 combo for overheads, her 33 for low attacks, and throw. It really is over once they get in the corner. People always bitch about me when i get them in the corner. Her combos arent 50% like Supes, but nobody can ever get out.

she does get 50% in the corner.

Amr_Raed

Noob
DD is somewhat easier in SS because you can basically mash the crap out of D1 vs him especially with his trait active just go D1,D1,D1 etc ,

i found the SS stance to be a beast for punishing backdashers , you can punish Black Adam , Superman ,etc theses characters with really good backdashes with the Shield bash to get instantly in their face again , Shield toss also works really well . I have found the SS stance to have a better zoning capabilities than Lasso as the Shield tosses are far better than the tiara tosses .

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
So what's her best normals and strings in Shield Stance?

D1

When you get your D1 to hit, you can go into B23 or B21 for a mix up or 22 into more D1 on block or ex shield toss on hit followed by 22 shield toss leaving them standing.

That's how I do it anyway.

Primiera

Wonderful Woman
So what's her best normals and strings in Shield Stance?
Most of her SS normals and strings are kind of momentum stoppers if they're blocked, unless you go into d+1 or anything xx BF3 MB. That being said, 22 is my favorite string to frame trap or use after a jump-in, as well as 2b+1 xx BF3 near the corner. b+2 into stuff is a good option but b+2 is slow and it's hard to fit in unless the opponent is knocked down.

f+3 is also godly, very good reach and frame advantage, and fantastic damage in the corner for a meterless f+3. If it were faster it'd be broken and I probably wouldn't stay in LS very much.

does anyone actually USE the shield stance online though?
I use shield stance when I have full meter, and i'm about to punish the shit out of someone with a very high meter burned combo at like 50%+ -- other than that, lasso stance. shield stance is also good at the very end of a fight, when you have a huge life lead, with 1 or 2 hits left for the KO.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
I use shield stance when I have full meter, and i'm about to punish the shit out of someone with a very high meter burned combo at like 50%+ -- other than that, lasso stance. shield stance is also good at the very end of a fight, when you have a huge life lead, with 1 or 2 hits left for the KO.
This isnt a bad idea, are you talking about doing the 22 MB Shield Toss 22 MB Shield Toss 22 MB Shield Toss 22 MB Shield Toss 223 move? Thats a pretty good idea if they either already clashed, have no meter of their own, or are on their first bar.

Thats the nice thing about WW, her meter really isnt used in her BnBs like other characters as much... so its available for some other utility stuff.

im saying she doesnt get 50% in the corner with lasso stance, but lasso stance is still really beastly in the corner, but you wont see super high combos, highest i get is mid to high 30s, but the mixup game is great
i said something similar, that ww doesn't get huge damaging combos -- then everyone started listing corner shield stance combos.. lmfao. yeah, she hits high in the corner with shield -- but in lasso stance ( her primary fighting stance ) is no black adam, bane, green latern combo machine. you have to be really accurate and patient with WW to get the high combos off, otherwise -- you are better off using her amazing tools to punish your opponent gradually throughout the fight.