What's new

Video/Tutorial How to improve your Anti Airs in Mortal Kombat XL

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
If I may, some characters excel better by anti airing using their own jump punch. Such as Sub Zero, Shinnok, Tanya, etc. The key is to look for jump in punches where the character puts their arm forward and their body backward.

MK_Al

Noob
great vid! I might want to emphasize the importance of correct spacing when AA, because imo thats where a lot of people fail. you can hardly s1 AA sonja, kotal or vanilla when the distance is bigger than at the beginning of the game, but it works quite ok from closer range. most char can be AA pretty well from start distance. if there's more space a lot of chars can use d1 to AA (kotal, goro, takeda,...).
on the other hand specials like kl's (non ex) spin can not AA at all if the JIP hits the tip of his head.
so its worth experimenting a lot.

great vid! I might want to emphasize the importance of correct spacing when AA, because imo thats where a lot of people fail. you can hardly s1 AA sonja, kotal or vanilla when the distance is bigger than at the beginning of the game, but it works quite ok from closer range. most char can be AA pretty well from start distance. if there's more space a lot of chars can use d1 to AA (kotal, goro, takeda,...).
on the other hand specials like kl's (non ex) spin can not AA at all if the JIP hits the tip of his head.
so its worth experimenting a lot.
What about Jax, Sub and Predator?

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
You should have made the video with Subzero J1 jumping at you, so you could have gotten overriden on all of them into 30%.

MK_Al

Noob
What about Jax, Sub and Predator?
i'd say in general the goto AA for jax would be d2 or s1, while NJP and d1 would be the better ones for pred. as i said before d1 requires a bit more space than s1 to AA reliable.
however, you should try what works best for you. also consider that some chars like liu kang can be AA way easier than others (like sub or EB)

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
There's also the D4. I found it, while I was trying to prevent some players to hit me the moment I needed to do the Ice Klone. Incidentally, the D4 helps to avoid the JIPs. The D2 needs a good timing to execute, otherwise if late, then both go down, or if early, then the D2 whiffs and gives the JIP an advantage.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
What do you guys think about Tremor's best AA options?
My main training partner uses a lot of Tremor and D1 is good for anti cross ups. You NEED to go to the lab and look at S2 to anti air jump ins though, the hitbox on that is godlike.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
What do you guys think about Tremor's best AA options?
EX rock punch~up is unsurprisingly the most consistent option but I find standing 2 and f1 to be good anti airs. F1 gets that range ahead of you and standing 2 seems to have a higher hit box for crossups and closer jump ins. I'll do like f1~rockpunch and 21, f121~rockpunch. His uppercut isn't spectacular but if you anti air with it you can OTG. At range b2 and perhaps even f4 can do work.

Bo's also works surprisingly well. Especially if you react to a jump in too late to aa fart.
I find that Bo has excellent jump attacks in general. JI1 and JB1 are really good for air to airing as well.