What's new

Video/Tutorial - Venomous How to fight D'Vorah

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
Hey everyone, I decided to make a video discussing how to deal with D'Vorah since I hear a ton of complaints about her. D'Vorah has some of the best footsie tools in the game with her D4, D3, F2, etc and she can get big damage off of a bar or even meterless (mostly in Swarm Queen). She also has an amazing NJP and D2.

The majority of these complaints come from her Venomous variation because her Bug Spray is apparently 'too good'. The frame data says something like +25 on block when it is NOT even close to that. It's in the -17 range so it's definitely punishable by the whole cast. People tell me she's always plus but that's usually because they're blocking her Puddle that comes from the ground when they almost NEVER have to.

Hopefully you guys can take the time to watch this video and learn a couple things about the character. There are risks to using her against a good player that understands the MU.

@SidTheHaze
@Ray Riazy
@Decay
@Eldriken
@AK XEN0M0RPH
@Anyone else that wants to learn how to fight her

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Okay but you're saying at the beginning that the opponent needs at least 1 bar of meter to punish?

I get that every character has punishable moves, but it seems like you can only gap her with meter?

Sorry, haven't played against D'Vorah much.

EDIT: Nevermind, got ahead of myself.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, after our brief matches in that online tournament I went into practice against her to see what that acid spray was all about. I thought it was a High, so I kept trying to neutral-duck it in our matches. And yeah, it's definitely minus on block; not nearly the amazing tool I had initially thought. D'Vorah just seems to be one of those characters that seems unbeatable if you don't actually know how to beat her.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Love it. She can be difficult to deal with match up wise when she's in the hands of a great player. Nice D'Vorah btw.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
Yeah, after our brief matches in that online tournament I went into practice against her to see what that acid spray was all about. I thought it was a High, so I kept trying to neutral-duck it in our matches. And yeah, it's definitely minus on block; not nearly the amazing tool I had initially thought. D'Vorah just seems to be one of those characters that seems unbeatable if you don't actually know how to beat her.
Yeah that's pretty much it. If you don't know what to do against her, you're kinda screwed. But once you understand how to deal with her gaps and punish her, she becomes much easier to deal with.

I'm not saying she's a bad character though, because I think she's great. But I've been told she's braindead when that isn't the case at all. When someone understands the MU, then the D'Vorah player needs to resort to her footsie game.

Another thing I want to point out is that her 40-42% damage midscreen combo in swarm queen comes off a Mid attack. Her OH option leads into 31% but it can be interrupted and punished and her low option is only 17% which is also full combo punishable. She does technically have a low option that leads into 25% or so damage but it's very hard to execute. So usually when I get 40%+ damage, it's because I punished you for something or I made a read on when to go in to open you up with my Mid attack. If you compare this to other characters like Kung Jin, Ferra/Torr, Cassie Cage, Sonya, Erron Black, Quan Chi, etc. that get big damage off of a 50/50, there's no reason to complain about D'Vorah. And some of the 50/50's these other characters have are safe.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Also something not mentioned in the video is that you can armor through her F112 string which leads into her frame trap. Hell you can even backdash if you wanted.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
D'Vorah is a prime example of a good character that folks won't understand is fair unless they bother to learn the matchup. She has gaps that are all punishable. She has setups and stuff she does that look like combos that are not combos in actuality. Some of her stuff looks like its high and it is not.

Basically she is a fast, tool filled combo character and its overwhelming folks new to the matchup. However she is not in fact a "Green Arrow" who will likely become mid to low tier upon learning the matchup because she has ways if she makes reads to not get punished all day. The thing is a good character is not weak if it requires proper reads to avoid punishes on their stuff and likewise a good cahracter is not too good because "if they read right" they can stuff a punish. She is simply a good character that rewards players for good reads and good play without making it too rough to try and get started.

You want characters to be good and you want them to be fair and have things that are punishable but require both parties to be trying to make reads to either punish or avoid. She's built perfect. I hope folks don't complain on her too much because I see her as a prime example of whats good in this game.

I started to figure out the gaps, just think i needed to play better, but thanks for the vid and the tag. I promise next time i won't be so free

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Hey everyone, I decided to make a video discussing how to deal with D'Vorah since I hear a ton of complaints about her. D'Vorah has some of the best footsie tools in the game with her D4, D3, F2, etc and she can get big damage off of a bar or even meterless (mostly in Swarm Queen). She also has an amazing NJP and D2.

The majority of these complaints come from her Venomous variation because her Bug Spray is apparently 'too good'. The frame data says something like +25 on block when it is NOT even close to that. It's in the -17 range so it's definitely punishable by the whole cast. People tell me she's always plus but that's usually because they're blocking her Puddle that comes from the ground when they almost NEVER have to.

Hopefully you guys can take the time to watch this video and learn a couple things about the character. There are risks to using her against a good player that understands the MU.

@SidTheHaze
@Ray Riazy
@Decay
@Eldriken
@AK XEN0M0RPH
@Anyone else that wants to learn how to fight her
Good shit!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
After some practice, I didn't know that Jacqui's F12 can punish spray even at max range into Rocket combo.

That alone changes everything lol.

LRK128

TEST - YOU'RE WHITE!
D'Vorah is a prime example of a good character that folks won't understand is fair unless they bother to learn the matchup. She has gaps that are all punishable. She has setups and stuff she does that look like combos that are not combos in actuality. Some of her stuff looks like its high and it is not.

Basically she is a fast, tool filled combo character and its overwhelming folks new to the matchup. However she is not in fact a "Green Arrow" who will likely become mid to low tier upon learning the matchup because she has ways if she makes reads to not get punished all day. The thing is a good character is not weak if it requires proper reads to avoid punishes on their stuff and likewise a good cahracter is not too good because "if they read right" they can stuff a punish. She is simply a good character that rewards players for good reads and good play without making it too rough to try and get started.

You want characters to be good and you want them to be fair and have things that are punishable but require both parties to be trying to make reads to either punish or avoid. She's built perfect. I hope folks don't complain on her too much because I see her as a prime example of whats good in this game.
Isn't her overhead F3 hitconfirmable

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Good D'Vorahs will backdash cancel the wasp cancel to bait other people's punishes, or instant block. She's a cool fight, it's all about the adaptation against her.