What's new

Question How to deal with people who let go of block at the end of 212 ice clone in the corner?

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
guys.... seriously....

if they KEEP getting hit by the last 2.... just do 2,1 2,1.... you'll probably land the 2nd one and get a free combo. easy peezy lemon squeezy.
Well, if they are letting go, hopefully they are smart enough to mash a poke or something that would beat the stagger. Nobody is going to just let go of block and just sit there waiting to get hit.......

Spletty

Grandmaster
I don't think he means the entire 212 string, just the last hit. Pretty difficult to ht confirm the last hit into freeze

ryublaze

Noob
I thought if the opponent took the last hit of 212 clone and the clone froze them was character specific? I know in training mode Sub-Zero always gets frozen by the clone.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I thought if the opponent took the last hit of 212 clone and the clone froze them was character specific? I know in training mode Sub-Zero always gets frozen by the clone.
I'm pretty sure that any character who starts out crouch blocking or tries to jump after 21 won't get frozen by the clone.

coolwhip

Noob
LOL 212 is so slow and so easy to hitconfirm just do iceball. As simple as that.
Read the thread title: "At THE END" of 212 ice clone. Meaning they only let go of block on the last hit (they would be retarded to take all the hits, or 2 of them). Meaning most likely, as the animation of the last hit is occurring on the screen, the player would have already inputted the ice clone. It's not nearly as simple nor as LOL-worthy as you're trying to make it out to be.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
If people have a hard time hit-confirming, they can also input the whole string+special and cancel the special by double tapping a direction on the d-pad. It's not really useable in this situation because the clone comes out 1 frame after the 3rd hit of the string, but it can come in handy in those situations when you were just too fast or too confident in your reads.

DrFlash made a good point that a good player will mixup strategies, so there is always a chance that they block the whole 212 the second time you try the string because the opponent expects/reads that you're going for 212 iceball. So in this specific scenario the special-cancel can come in quite handy, 212 is bad on block (-11) but it's still better than the -27 you'll get for an iceball on block.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
I guess ill just start blocking and then when you try to freeze me, ill bust that ass for a full combo peter ;) lol

Sent from my PC36100
Most likely, 'cause even when SZ cancels out the special he'll be at -11, Reppy doesn't seem have that much to punish it with but its enough for that damn, annoying lizard to switch places and start his pressure or zoning game. AAargh!

repeat 21,21,21 etc or use 214. if you go the 214 route then the opponent is GIVING sub-zero a free 11%, while they stay cornered, and i have the option to ice blast and do over 30% on a read.. bad idea. 11% hurts, in almost every MU, repeatedly giving up 11% and staying cornered isnt a smart option. eat 11% a few times an players realize that damage adds up fast.

also, what character(s) is your friend using? sub-zero is one of the more if not the most character specific in corner strats.

repeat 21,21,21 etc or use 214. if you go the 214 route then the opponent is GIVING sub-zero a free 11%, while they stay cornered, and i have the option to ice blast and do over 30% on a read.. bad idea. 11% hurts, in almost every MU, repeatedly giving up 11% and staying cornered isnt a smart option. eat 11% a few times an players realize that damage adds up fast.

also, what character(s) is your friend using? sub-zero is one of the more if not the most character specific in corner strats.
Most of the time it's Reptile; that guy's tough to keep in the corner when he has meter.

if he is using reptile, then use 214. you cant 21 21, because he can actually dash and interrupt your 212 which also stops 21, 21, etc nonsense.

If you read him doing this, then risk it, and do 212~freeze, 222 for like 25percent, and as your recovering from he final 2, you can do an ice clone and get the same situation you would have off the 212~clone on block. That's the magic of sub-zero, as long as you make good reads all you have to do is touch them in the corner to get that sweet clone setup. Or you could simply mix him up instead, try checking his low block with a off of a 21/22~slide, or 222 to check is high block, or just run 21, 21 or 22 to keep him from jumping out, you can d4 and have all of it's options too or just throw him. Hell, even b1 2 1 gets an overhead, that leads to a stagger, or a combo if you commit, or a clone cancel on block. The point here is that if your buddy thinks he's smart getting around that option take the opportunity to remind him, that his ass is still at the wall, and still pretty fucked.

Everything you just mentioned is really punishable if he makes the wrong read and not really worth it if its a "good read" reptile players are smart, you may think its a brain dead character but because reptile never stops moving, we never stop thinking.

Sent from my PC36100

Another question, how on earth do you contain Sheeva in the corner?
Everytime I play against her online the Sheeva player just Stomps her way out for free and I dunno what to do about it.

Everytime I play against her online the Sheeva player just Stomps her way out for free and I dunno what to do about it.
Do you mean the down back b stomp? Or down up stomp? If its the down back b stomp, jump kick that ass if she's behind a clone in the corner, I remember you did that to me and I was frozen by the clone lol

Sent from my PC36100

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
njp dat bitch like i njp'd scorpion outta his teleport online ;D, it was so satisfying. lol

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Do you mean the down back b stomp? Or down up stomp? If its the down back b stomp, jump kick that ass if she's behind a clone in the corner, I remember you did that to me and I was frozen by the clone lol

Sent from my PC36100
It can't be the ground stomp b/c wouldn't she be frozen before her foot hit the ground?