What's new

How to actually get in with Lex?

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
assumptions

....who's gonna just throw out a naked probe/mine/orbital strike? Lex goes from set-up to set-up. Corps Charge lets you set up everything, and those everythings set-up Corps Charge. All you need to do is land one Corps Charge/b1/f2 and you're in business. At the risk of sounding confrontational (which is not my intention), based on what you said you're either not a good Lex or you have yet to fight a good Lex....

....who's gonna just throw out a naked probe/mine/orbital strike? Lex goes from set-up to set-up. Corps Charge lets you set up everything, and those everythings set-up Corps Charge. All you need to do is land one Corps Charge/b1/f2 and you're in business. At the risk of sounding confrontational (which is not my intention), based on what you said you're either not a good Lex or you have yet to fight a good Lex....
The title of this post was "how to get in with lex". The options you listed have nothing to do with lex's game of getting in on characters that dont want you to. Trying any setups or probes or armor while trying to get in will only get you a large punish from any good player. I know all about his setups ( http://testyourmight.com/threads/lex-luthor-mix-up-tech.32436/ ), but against a lot of characters theres just no reliable way to get in besides taking a good chunk of damage before guessing right and corp charging the startup of something or jumping over a projectile hoping they happen to toss one out just as you jump.
How much do you acctually play Lex? I get the feeling that you dont understand how to shut down lex luthors game and thats the reason you think he's viable, but in reality: block a lot of J.3 from him and always respect corp. charge and punish heavily and you will walk all over him. By patiently respecting J.3 and Corp. charge you shut down all of his options of getting in.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
The title of this post was "how to get in with lex". The options you listed have nothing to do with lex's game of getting in on characters that dont want you to.
It's not easy, but you make it sound impossible. His trait armor is his best way of getting in. You get trait armor everytime you hit a corps charge. The best way to hit a corps charge is to get your opponent moving. Don't just j3 every time you jump. Empty jump sometimes. If they're respecting the j3/corps charge (which they should be), you'll land and you can react to how they react. It's a chess match.

People are trying to find one single way to answer every problem he has, but he doesn't have one. Just work three steps ahead. Like we both have said, it is NOT easy (trying to get in on Sinestro is the most head-banging-against-the-wall thing ever), but it's do-able. It's all dictated by how your opponent plays.

(Also, don't underestimate the power of Gravity Pull. Sometimes, you can even get them to come to you. Thing's got more range than people think)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
The title of this post was "how to get in with lex". The options you listed have nothing to do with lex's game of getting in on characters that dont want you to. Trying any setups or probes or armor while trying to get in will only get you a large punish from any good player. I know all about his setups ( http://testyourmight.com/threads/lex-luthor-mix-up-tech.32436/ ), but against a lot of characters theres just no reliable way to get in besides taking a good chunk of damage before guessing right and corp charging the startup of something or jumping over a projectile hoping they happen to toss one out just as you jump.
How much do you acctually play Lex? I get the feeling that you dont understand how to shut down lex luthors game and thats the reason you think he's viable, but in reality: block a lot of J.3 from him and always respect corp. charge and punish heavily and you will walk all over him. By patiently respecting J.3 and Corp. charge you shut down all of his options of getting in.
Lex can get in with patience like anyone else, block/duck projectiles and move forward during the recovery if you aren't fast enough to get out a laser, probe, or armored dash.

Lex isn't all set-ups and special move shenanigans like you make him seem, he's slow but he isn't so slow he cant move between projectiles. You can even corps over some things if you can read their zoning pattern.

Well, when online, the margin of error for dashing then blocking to get in on zoners is admittedly close to absurd. Miss your dash by a measly few frames, and it feels like you get stuffed every time.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
That margin is variable depending on you and your opponent's connection.

The only thing I can think of that might make fighting better zoners easy is to make his laser come out faster, so getting knicked by a projectile on the tail end of the animation won't comepletely cancel it out. Don't make the move itself any safer though.

The knockdown from the laser will give you enough time to armor up or cover some ground.

Of course we're never gonna be that lucky and I doubt Lex will be getting any useful buffs anytime soon.

I feel Lex is mostly about momentum. Kinda like Bane in a way. Once you get rolling its up to them to stop you, and with the sheer amount of set ups Lex has that's not always easy.

Hell, if set up properly, Lex can punish a wake up attack with a push block into full combo.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2