What's new

How should we go about damage?

Arzumis

Noob
As you may or may not know,damage is calculated differently in Injustice 2. Instead of a percentage,it is in points of damage.

We know we cant go by percentages as characters have different health values. Also, we cant go by raw points either.

i tested this using batman. I did a standard 223 b3 combo on batman and it does 417 damage which comes out to 34%. The very same combo on superman does 375.30 damage which comes out to be 37%.

The base stats of the characters makes it so a combo will do different amounts of damage depending on who you perform the combo on.

So my question is how will we dictate damage?

Mikotto

Boon Pls.
We should come up with a "default training dummy". Like Sub-Zero was in mkx (because the mouse happened to be on him by default.) Guess it's Superman in Injustice 2? I'd vote for Superman anyways lol.
He would still need to have the default gear though. Otherwise he'd have more defense than some people.

Temetias

"MKX kid"
He would still need to have the default gear though. Otherwise he'd have more defense than some people.
I have no idea how gear interacts with training mode. I just thought it's competitive mode by default and you would add the gear if you wanted it on?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
As you may or may not know,damage is calculated differently in Injustice 2. Instead of a percentage,it is in points of damage.

We know we cant go by percentages as characters have different health values. Also, we cant go by raw points either.

i tested this using batman. I did a standard 223 b3 combo on batman and it does 417 damage which comes out to 34%. The very same combo on superman does 375.30 damage which comes out to be 37%.

The base stats of the characters makes it so a combo will do different amounts of damage depending on who you perform the combo on.

So my question is how will we dictate damage?
Use the highest damage taken and the lowest damage taken together. So. if the character that takes the most takes 37 percent and the character that takes the least takes 33, the damage reads as 33-37%. Ignore gear for this completely.

Lokheit

Noob
I vote to pick any character with 1000 defense simply because in any formula they use, 1000 is a number that will get the most precise and clean results while also being the average defense. I think Robin has 1000 defense and probably others too.

Use the highest damage taken and the lowest damage taken together. So. if the character that takes the most takes 37 percent and the character that takes the least takes 33, the damage reads as 33-37%. Ignore gear for this completely.
Just being nitpicky but damage isn't noted as percentages as characters have varying life totals in adition to different defense values.

If we're using one character as 'base damage', it should definitely be one with 1000 health.

Though ideally for combo thread purposes it would be great if the range from 'lowest defense' to 'highest defense' was also listed. :)

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
Test it on every character and write all numbers down. Easy :)

(na kidding, lowest and highest def sounds as good as 1000 as base

Reactions: GAV

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
According to Biohazard the health numbers are pointless and when you factor in def everything does the same damage to everyone except Darksied who has a little bit less health.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Doesn't Darkseid have 1400 health?
I have no idea, I'm just going by what Biohzard said on twitter.

That health and def are meaningless, except Darksied who has like a small little bit less then everyone else.

Which is weird because the stat definitely works when you put gear on.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
wait why do we care about how much gear effects damage if they aren't going to be used in tournament anyway?
Gearless characters are said to have different base stats from each other.
So even with out gear they are supposed to have different health/def/attack/special stat values.

Though according to people that have it, all that is meaningless, and everything does universal damage to everyone.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Gearless characters are said to have different base stats from each other.
So even with out gear they are supposed to have different health/def/attack/special stat values.

Though according to people that have it, all that is meaningless, and everything does universal damage to everyone.
yeah they are supposed to have different health values. most fighting games give different health values to characters. actually NRS games are the only 2d games off the top of my head that gave universal health values. i dont understand why we can't just be like "this combo does 450" like other communities do. we don't have to be so hellbent on percentages. you're going to know how much health your character/others have when you get more familiar with the game

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Basically, what BioHazard was saying based on what I understand is that when you factor together health and defense, every character has effectively the same amount of health, outside of Darkseid. So Darkseid's beefy base HP value is undercut severely by low base defense, whereas everyone else's balances out to be roughly the same.

Whether or not this is the actual fact of the matter is not something I can verify, of course - I don't have the game yet. I think this is definitely something that bears testing and published proof, rather than simply accepting hearsay. It's a pretty important set of statistics.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
I have no idea, I'm just going by what Biohzard said on twitter.

That health and def are meaningless, except Darksied who has like a small little bit less then everyone else.

Which is weird because the stat definitely works when you put gear on.
I really don't understand why they made it like this, everyone should just have the same stats.

Arzumis

Noob
yeah they are supposed to have different health values. most fighting games give different health values to characters. actually NRS games are the only 2d games off the top of my head that gave universal health values. i dont understand why we can't just be like "this combo does 450" like other communities do. we don't have to be so hellbent on percentages. you're going to know how much health your character/others have when you get more familiar with the game
No you cant say a combo does X damage because characters have different defense values. In the original post I said a 417 combo on batman does 375 to superman.