What's new

How Should Nightwolf be played?

Espio

Kokomo
Thanks for all the delightful info guys, so far I like this character, he's very solid in this game. I've always liked Nightwolf, but stopped playing most of the cast to focus on Stryker and Jade. I have an affinity for counterzoners (I'm not much of a zoner myself) so Nightwolf fits right in with my two mains.

I've been ending my bnb's with his command grab instead of shoulder tackle. Is one more preferred over the other either for advantage, spacing or match up dependent?

Thanks for all the delightful info guys, so far I like this character, he's very solid in this game. I've always liked Nightwolf, but stopped playing most of the cast to focus on Stryker and Jade. I have an affinity for counterzoners (I'm not much of a zoner myself) so Nightwolf fits right in with my two mains.

I've been ending my bnb's with his command grab instead of shoulder tackle. Is one more preferred over the other either for advantage, spacing or match up dependent?
It is definitely matchup/situation dependent. Ending with shoulder does the most damage but choke will keep you closer to the opponent. It is anti Kenshi tech basically.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
L0rdoftheFLY

With how MK is progressing with footsies do you feel that Nightwolf has become more viable? Other than Big D and yourself he isn't played commonly what so ever, but Big D did do very well with him at FR. Thoughts?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

Check out my LOTF tactics thread for NW. I cover choke Enders vs 122 shoulder.
L0rdoftheFLY

With how MK is progressing with footsies do you feel that Nightwolf has become more viable? Other than Big D and yourself he isn't played commonly what so ever, but Big D did do very well with him at FR. Thoughts?
The problem is that people are more consistently punishing shoulder and lightning. His footsies are good but many of the top 10-15 characters have better footsies than him.

He is more like a mixture of jax and cage. His footsies are like both but he is slower than both. Cage is super mobile with his dash forward and backward and his walk is faster and jax has a faster dash but slower walk.

Footsies for NW are great but his dash and walk speed are holding him back right now. So to answer your question...he is not any more viable but he is still good.

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
L0rdoftheFLY

He has become way more viable, and he was viable from the beginning IMO. After someone demonstrates just how great Nightwolf is, his reputation will change drastically.

jdhelvick

GET SCALPED

Ending is choke definitely a very good option for keeping the opponent close. What I love about nightwolf's bnbs is that you can end them 4 different ways to mix up on your opponent and keep them guessing.

Typical shoulder bnb - 122 axe b2 axe 1 1 122 shoulder 38% (launches full screen, good against rushdown characters)

Choke ender - 122 axe b2 axe 12 choke 37% (Spaces perfectly for a shoulder to close distance, or enhanced lightning mix up)

F3 B4 (Sweep) ender - 122 axe b2 axe 1 1 F3 B4 35% (keeps opponent even closer than choke, also sets up F3 OTG pressure)

Shoulder wiff - 122 axe b2 axe 1 1 12 shoulder 33% (If done correctly the shoulder will wiff under the opponent switching screen positions, similar smoke's teleport and is also completely safe, keeps opponent very close, also sets up F3 OTG pressure)

However, be sure to look out for tech rolls. The hit advantage goes down drastically on some of these combos, (choke/sweep enders)