What's new

How Should Nightwolf be played?

Espio

Kokomo
I'm planning on picking up Nightwolf just because nobody plays him and I wanna tinker around with some characters.

I'm not quite sure what the ideal way to play him is..multiple styles work for various matches and styles.

Nightwolf appears to have the tools for rushdown as well as defensive play and laming people out by baiting mistakes...

Is he more rushdown based, punisher based etc?

I don't think he's a zoner given his slow projectile and lightning

Mainly use footsies and apply pressure with f3 strings and 122 strings. NW can be good at counter zoning and mixing in lightning at clever times. But eventually you will want to get some combos going.

Learn the little tricks like lightning trap, anti cross up with armored choke, and lots of other little things.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I presonally would go with rushdown, alot of people don't know his strings and tools (myself included). Alot of people like to lame it out though. (damn turtles, I can't zone the guy) That would be myself though. I don't know any similarities between Stryker and Nightwolf, aside from they have some pretty good zoning tools. I'd try learning as much as you can with Nightwolf, and finding your own playstyle. I try to do this with Liu, but I think you can only go so far with Liu.

Espio

Kokomo
Mainly use footsies and apply pressure with f3 strings and 122 strings. NW can be good at counter zoning and mixing in lightning at clever times. But eventually you will want to get some combos going.

Learn the little tricks like lightning trap, anti cross up with armored choke, and lots of other little things.
He seemed all footsies, I didn't want to assume anything though, very helpful advice on some of his solid strings.

I'll be looking into this lightning trap, I vaguely remember LOTF posting about it and it looked like a very scary pressure tool.

I like Nightwolf's BNB's the dashing punches remind a lot of Cage, though with less shenanigans afterward.

Thanks!

He should be played well.

Really though depending on the MU, I see him more as a spacing character with footsies, and good at counter poking with D1/D3 hatchet and F3. ❤
lol Boys <3

I'll be working on these tips too, much appreciated.

Espio872 you just enjoy to play low tier characters dont you?

Thats pretty admirable.
Thank you:). Somebody has to do it, if only to prove they don't actually suck like people say they do.

Low tier is my favorite tier, though mid tier works too, not too hyped on top tier unless it was a character I literally loved to death and would play regardless of tier placement anyway.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I presonally would go with rushdown, alot of people don't know his strings and tools (myself included). Alot of people like to lame it out though. (damn turtles, I can't zone the guy) That would be myself though. I don't know any similarities between Stryker and Nightwolf, aside from they have some pretty good zoning tools. I'd try learning as much as you can with Nightwolf, and finding your own playstyle. I try to do this with Liu, but I think you can only go so far with Liu.
you'll get blown up real quick for rushing down.... he doesn't have much to keep anything going.
He is a footsie character and heavy whiff punisher.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Thank you:). Somebody has to do it, if only to prove they don't actually suck like people say they do.

Low tier is my favorite tier, though mid tier works too, not too hyped on top tier unless it was a character I literally loved to death and would play regardless of tier placement anyway.
Funny thing is i was playing with Jade the other day, trying to finish Challenge 300 with her. It was ALOT of fun! Her Bnb's are actually entertaining to do....but once Mileena came up....hoo boy i knew i would never be able to play her against someone else. Kitaro and Goro are fine, cause they slow as turtles, but anyone with anything faster than 20 frames and it feels like such an uphill battle.

Espio

Kokomo
Funny thing is i was playing with Jade the other day, trying to finish Challenge 300 with her. It was ALOT of fun! Her Bnb's are actually entertaining to do....but once Mileena came up....hoo boy i knew i would never be able to play her against someone else. Kitaro and Goro are fine, cause they slow as turtles, but anyone with anything faster than 20 frames and it feels like such an uphill battle.
You gotta lame Mileena out and blow her up when she does dumb stuff, while you flash here and there to build meter. Conservative and lame is a must.

The big problem I have with challenge 300 Mileena fight is that they randomly take away blocking.(basically making oyu free to Mileena and they take blocking away more if you have more health)...nerf your damage and such.

That's cool you tried out Jade though, delighted you liked her:cool:.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
That's cool you tried out Jade though, delighted you liked her:cool:.
Little did you know that when i started playing this game my two characters were Kung Lao....and Jade

DUN DUN DUN

i gave up on her when u3 turned to shit thou, picked up sub zero, never looked back. Still a fun character thou

Espio

Kokomo
Little did you know that when i started playing this game my two characters were Kung Lao....and Jade

DUN DUN DUN

i gave up on her when u3 turned to shit thou, picked up sub zero, never looked back. Still a fun character thou
Pardon my ignorance, this was before my time on TYM, I didn't get here till the end of November, interesting team though.

Subbie's cool though, I only use MK3 costume though for that pretty boy swag.

Because of his footsies and fear of D3/D3 into hatchet, it also sets up decent throw set ups since your opponent is forced to block. JP 1 is also decent. Ending blocked strings like 1221 and 234 give you a nice sweet spot distance for shoulder or a dash F3 if they duck the shoulder. Ending combos in 12 shoulder charge also puts you on the other side of them up, giving you a good cross up attempt or F3.

Lulzlou

Noob
Good luck with NW Espio. I'm sure you'll do good with him like your jade and stryker.

I haven't touched Jade since Wednesday. Gonna mess around in the lab more this week and hopefully have her ready for casuals at ufgt and ect

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
seeing as i joined up in december, when i was in full ermac-sub gear.
I didn't get here till the end of November
A little off-topic here, but I didn't get here till January. I was viewing the forum regularly since around October though.

I play RipCrowley on a regular basis. As well as Brainstorm.
These guys use Nightwolf how he should be.... both on XBL and both are more then happy to use NW to his fullest.
No idea who those people are. (pardon my ignorance) I've met a few NWs online. Some of them are pretty legit, alot of people now just try and turtle.

Espio

Kokomo
Good luck with NW Espio. I'm sure you'll do good with him like your jade and stryker.

I haven't touched Jade since Wednesday. Gonna mess around in the lab more this week and hopefully have her ready for casuals at ufgt and ect

Thank you, appreciate the support. I also gotta pick up Baraka and Kano too, those threads about how terrible they are got me motivated:).

If you need some suggestions or pointers for Jade (I know Blackula plays her and you guys talk), but other Jade players myself included would be delighted to offer some advice or spar with you.

Lulzlou

Noob
Thank you, appreciate the support. I also gotta pick up Baraka and Kano too, those threads about how terrible they are got me motivated:).

If you need some suggestions or pointers for Jade (I know Blackula plays her and you guys talk), but other Jade players myself included would be delighted to offer some advice or spar with you.
No problem sir. Baraka scares me because I can't make any mistakes. 2 of them and I'm pretty much done for the match.

I really only talk to him when I go to his house every once in a while. I'm approaching jade the same way as I did with kabal. Frame data, looking at few match videos and the rest personal exp. If it comes to the point where I don't get something at all, I wont be afraid to ask though.

edit: Online barakas*

NKZero

Noob
Espio872

Alright bro here's a little run-down of Nightwolf...

Best strings: F31, F312 (corner only or potential block-confirm mid-screen), 1221, B22 (only use off a JIP), B11 (only use off a JIP and is a good meter build on block)
Best pokes: D1, D2, D3, D4, F2 (only off a JIP and on hit, guaranteed lightning/EX lightning), B22 (good range and potential whiff punisher), F3 (great priority to beat out D4's and the like)

Nightwolf is mainly a footsies character. The biggest key to success is making the opponent fear the options at your disposal without actually using them. Shoulder charge is the core to your offense and every knockdown can set-up a potential lightning trap from as far as full screen. While opponents have to respect shoulder charge, they'd be foolish to sit there the whole time in neutral crouch because they could get blown up by lightning (also a risk on your part if it whiffs) and you can dash in and pressure with F3 or maybe surprise them with a JIP or JIK. Arrow should not be used as a zoning tool although an occasional let fly isn't going to harm you. Hatchet is a great footsies tool because of the invincibility frames it has. If you can create space off a down poke and link in axe swing, it will wipe out any counter-poke attempts and you get a combo. Opponents will respect that and that allows you to throw, dash in and F3 etc. Never use as an anti-air (this is not baseball!). Choke to end combos if you want to maintain closer spacing and EX choke for anti-cross up situations. Lightning for...lightning. Traps, mind games etc. Reflect's purpose is obvious. Do not try and use it for every projectile and preferably use it from further away (unless you see a projectile up close and react quickly enough). Always on reaction and not anticipation.

Traps: Lightning trap and arrow trap

2 Ghetto resets in the corner involving F312 and F3-EX axe swing

If you want real information check out LOTF's guide (old-ish but has updates and is still highly relevant). Also check out his videos (LOTF Nightwolf tactics) and check out my thread entitled "Fleshing out Nightwolf's under-used strings" where I give a detailed break-down of the 234 and 114 strings and why they are still relevant.

I'm just giving you a brief run down just so you know what you're in for when you pick NW up. If you want hardcore detailed info refer to the paragraph above and follow suit.

If you have further questions or would like any explanations do not hesitate to ask any of us (including myself :p). Hope you enjoy him.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Ok so there are hundreds of things to post but most of it was covered by NKZero. The more matches I play with nightwolf the more footsie oriented I get as the meta-game evolves.

What I like to do is jab in and out with standing 1 to bait a reaction. I'll do the same with dash d3, shoulder, b1 and occasional arrows. All the options are safe from the right distance and can help you guage your opponent to understand how they will respond as the match continues.

The push back from shoulder is golden as counter pokes are useless even if he is at -3. If they don't counter poke you can dash in to d3/d1 axe to get damage as well as jump if they try to counter poke.

I love using b1 now more than ever. B1 has almost instant recovery and by the time they jmp at you or try to wiff punish you have an axe out that will hit them coming in or if they jump. When they respect the axe you can just mash the b111 which has 4 or 5 hits to it and can be linked to axe or eh axe. If they come in or let go of block early you get full combo but if they block th whole thing you build almost half a bar and are totally safe.

I love when people throw projectiles at my from half screen because they think it's safe...reflect starts up in 1 frame so it's very possible on reaction to reflect kabal iaf up close as well as Kano's, Freddy's and anyone else's projectiles. That's the whole reason his arrows suck. He is thought to "not need a good projectile because he can reflect most of them."

Nightwolf has above average footsies and a strong anti zoning game. He makes characters like kitana come to him and can keep out characters like cage with well placed lightnings, shoulders, and safe strings. He has simple but effective pressure with pseudo frame traps and on hit can keep you guessing.

I love playing him...I only play skarlet because I need an easier answer for kabal and she is also a challenge. Nw gets boring in practice mode sometimes but skarlet isn't. But in competative play nw is very formidable...so is jade for that matter.