What's new

General/Other - Raiden How Raiden is gonna be a GOD again!!

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Raiden still has NJP, F1 and EX-db2 for anti-airs however. I won't lie though, a faster D2 is something I'd pay money for.
Uppercuts are not only for AA, You can use them to get out of pressure from characters that have advancing strings where the 1st hit is a high (Tremor, Alien,..etc)

Also Mileena has the best AA with meterless rolls and b1 that both leads into full combos, Yet her uppercut is as broken as it gets. So having other options doesn't justify an uppercut to be that handicapped.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I think most non Thunder God players can agree that the three F12B2s are balls hard to pull off. And Nivek most definitely has good execution.
Nivek's reactions are so fast that he can't be fuzzied. When they nerfed Raiden, they did it by Nivek's Raiden - and that made no sense since no one else could do what he does with the character.

@TheRealOnlyGoonie Having an hard executable combo as bnb is one thing, but dropping it leading to a full cast punition is another. What maybe most people are disappointed is that this combo is hard to do and also when you fail it you get punished when the opponent get up.

@Nivek
  • 3,4: I think they initially intended to make it a frame trap with f1 and b1 day 1, probably they forgot about it. Also it can be a frame trap with df2 but it is illogical (getting -2 to -7 on block, also animation is too quick to make the opponent drop his guard). Not talking about lrc since it's minus (so a fake frame trap). I think the actual purpose of it is to do else 3,4 or 3 -> 50/50 but well you need like 50 matches of conditionning...
  • Totally agree about down pokes when i see ones like Liu Kang's, Scorpion's... Pokes like -3 on block and 7-6 frames... Or instead of buffing them, put df2 mid so you can frame trap like Jason.
  • d4 faster : well, he already has 2 pokes under 9 frames. What I'd think would be better is like +5 advantages frame more, so midscreen you can frame trap things like 214 after d4 on hit.
  • JI1 : he has one ? *jokes* I didn't even know it had a gap. Why ? Because I never use it. Why ? Because the active frame is too short so you have to perfectly time it to hit else high else low. If you guess low you get anti air, if you guess high you get low profiled... I know Raiden is a good 50/50 character but doing its ji1 a 50/50 on hitbox ?
  • JI2 : actually this one is great as it is, you just have to perfectly execute it and you can even do instant ji2 like jax (It's hard but possible)
  • BF3 quicker : it's a good dream but not really that fair xD Corner carry into setup anti armor or 50/50. As I said for kp2 patch, I root for better recovery on this move so you can't be punished when you trade a Mileena's roll and a superman, both whiffing.
  • db2 ex mid or safe : @DDutchguy Nivek said else it is mid, else it is safe, not both lol. I'd totally agree about making it mid and letting it unsafe. After all, there is Alien's roll...
  • ex db3 faster or less dmg scaling : true, this move is almost useless. Only purpose ? Punishing random pokes, but not working on some hitbox (Hello JC). It is unsafe on block, doesn't always do the 2 hits on hit and combo dmg is weaker than df2 ex. Imo, letting the dmg scale and fixing its hitbox would be better. I don't know why we can cross up it (ok it's not street fighter, maybe it has been made so we can cross up it), but I don't know why when we hit on air (so we did an hard reading on jump), when the opponent is high you don't get the second hit (so no combo). Doing it faster may not be the true solution since if you can't hit with it, it still has no meaning in raiden's gameplay
  • Less recovery on orbs : recovery is what I wished for any moves (some moves) of Raiden so he can mind trap his opponents. Orbs should be able to do some frame trap in pressure block (such as f2 3+4) imo
  • f12b2 x3, else make it easier, else put the recovery of b2 not punishable on wake up... You dropped the combo but opponent is touching the ground after you whiff, you get punished. Would understand in the other way.
  • Ex orb doing a hit ? Damn that'd be scary but I agree on letting 3 orbs on screen with this move xD
  • orb connection mid : there was a discussion about that. Telling that it's maybe better to keep it high since it might trap people low profiling it and Raiden is positive (so no guard), also the connection has no positive on block
  • b14 tp into combo : so you're technically asking for less recovery on TP, else more cancel frames on b14 or more active frames on b14. Anyway those suggestion would only buff TG more imo
  • Ex teleport not hittable : totally agree after they buffed mileena's TP on the ethereal variation
  • I think 1122 and b1122 canceled with bf3 have been made to do exact same damage, so the only thing we have to think is just to pick our side. Else about dmg scaling... At least I'd like to have 1% per hit minimum because doing 10 hits for 1% is really... well disappointing, maybe not do it at all lol since it would change nothing if we remove those supplementary hits after combo (on reversal, restanding...)
  • b33 into combo to f12 ? Don't you mean b34 with its juggle in corner ? I don't think there are any string letting stand that allows to combo with another string in this game, that would be imba because you can 50/50 Oo. But sure, at least not make this move -1 on hit. I'm hitting the guy, why would I be in danger for hitting him ?
  • Fireball charge timing faster : you mean LRC being quicker so we have better frame trap ? I think it is fine as it is since we have great unreactable 50/50. But I think ball throwed quicker OR -5 frames recovery would be better. It's very slow to come out (20 frames around that), not positive (if not 100% charged) and punishable
What I think we need more with this character are less frame recovery on some moves such as:
  • d1
  • d3
  • 3 (maybe it is good as it is, everyone mash their controller when they see it because they know thunder string comes slowly)
Also maybe give 44 more frame advantage so you can corner combo with it as starter.
Well f4 quicker might not really a good idea, people would spam it when we have already some situations to do it.
Maybe EX Ball db2 (TG variation) +6 frames advantages on block ? Enough to do a run f1 blockstring, but not too much so we can't just run and do 50/50 blockstring.
Also, not letting b2 LRC negative on hit. I understand that some cmd grab, grabs (like raiden which is -2) are negative, but they are not letting the opponent standing in from of them.

All about my commentary.

• F12 shoukd be -1 or +0 on block for him like the other variations (it's still -3).Thanks @ganondeurf
You're welcome, I'm disappointed that they didn't even respect their own change log.
But wait, it's not +0 on block on the other variations ?! Wtf, I'd understand for ThunderGod since we can easily mind people about finishing string or doing another or...
What would be great : still -3 on block but more cancel on the string (f12) so we have a pressure in all the 3 variations (LRC, TP, Ball trap)

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
In general, only agree that b1 should not be low profiled, since it's a mid.

For MoS: Less recover on the orbs is a must. I also agree with the following,
  • "Ex Orb a hit of armor. And if there is already one in the screen and the ex orb is stuffed when he summoned only the first one, make the already existing one to not disappear.disappear only if the ex orb successfully summon both orbs out."
His orbs being a mid is too much, maybe the EX Orb can be a mid but that's it. If anything, they should just change it so either his shocker or vicinity blast can't be low profiled. That would fix Raiden as a whole. No need to make the orbs a mid.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
db2 ex mid or safe : @DDutchguy Nivek said else it is mid, else it is safe, not both lol. I'd totally agree about making it mid and letting it unsafe. After all, there is Alien's roll...
Yeah I know he meant that. In my post I disregarded the option of making it safe because safe armored launcher isn't something I think anyone wants to see more of, even if EX-df2 remains a high. So I disregarded the make-it-safe choice and then went on to talk about the second buff option, making it hit mid but still be unsafe.

DDutchguy

Raiden should be a top tier character again. And NRS should find a way to make it happen.
Making Raiden top tier would mean giving him a lot of dumb buffs to match the top tiers. I think the only way to do that is to do something like making EX-shocker safe or making B2 like -10 with pushback.

I'd much rather have current Raiden than to see him given weird buffs like that.

AGRxShiroKuma

The White Bear
I just have one question...

Where is Raiden's staff?
He uses it in one of the story mode cutscenes and he uses it in one of his fatalities but a thunder staff variation would have been a cool offensive variation or a defensive one with reach but I'm happy with what we got.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
He uses it in one of the story mode cutscenes and he uses it in one of his fatalities but a thunder staff variation would have been a cool offensive variation or a defensive one with reach but I'm happy with what we got.
They made him really cool, but I feel like his move-set is too all or nothing for him to be professionally viable. A nice safe staff poke or an armored overhead EX staff bounce - like take Alien's tail flip away and give it to Raiden as jumping in staff overhead that is armored and bounces on hit.

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
D1: -4 or 5 down from -7 on block
D2: 7 or 8 down from 11 start up
D4: 11 down from 13 start up
F2: 12 or 13 down from 15 start up

Either more advantage on JI1 or better hit box on JI2

Lastly, change his X Ray. Either make it faster or safe/plus. Wouldn't mind if it was both.

D1: -4 or 5 down from -7 on block
D2: 7 or 8 down from 11 start up
D4: 11 down from 13 start up
F2: 12 or 13 down from 15 start up

Either more advantage on JI1 or better hit box on JI2

Lastly, change his X Ray. Either make it faster or safe/plus. Wouldn't mind if it was both.
I find it funny that you want to buff the d1 whereas d3 needs more that buff on its "on block" advantage.

DDutchguy

I find it funny that you want to buff the d1 whereas d3 needs more that buff on its "on block" advantage.
D3 is a lost cause, not even the fact that it's a kick to the groin can save it. D1 is always better, might as well just use that.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
i think with "Master of Storms" there should be a couple strings that you can get orbs out on block. hoiwever they do that it needs to be done. talk about MOS being relevant again that should do it.

D3 is a lost cause, not even the fact that it's a kick to the groin can save it. D1 is always better, might as well just use that.
Just say that you want to make Raiden unbalanced lol.
Not really a good point to say buff something because it's better