What's new

How Music Can Increase Focus and Help You Make Better Predictions

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
For me, music builds so much emotion and momentum sometimes. (depending on what it is) I might mess with mixing some game audio and my playlist to see if it's worth trying. Anyone remember doing that on the first Xbox? That was the shit. Lol
Didn't that revolve around a virtual sound card or some shit? I remember there was a program you could run on your pc, and it would broadcast all audio from your pc which would be playing Pandora (or whatever at the time) through your home network, then you just had to connect to it with your 360. But yeah I do remember setting up a way to stream Pandora to my 360 while my friend and I played some MK9 tag together. Good times.

S+ Main

Noob
I do this all the time, connect my spotify to my ps4 and listen to some absolute bangers while playing. I have it coming through my headset so loud that you can hear it in the hallway.

Although my ears ring after playing it puts me in the zone.

Hot_DNA

Noob
Ever Since I started competing in UMVC3 tournaments at majors, I ALWAYS listen to music during my matches... It actually calms my nerves so I don't hear people in back talking ish or side betting..
I always play Nipsey Hussle - All Get Right and if I start losing I switch to 2pac- Against All odds lol

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I never thought about trying this until reading this thread. Everything you said is true to the T. I guess I always want to hear the voice of the characters, move cues, stage music, etc. Just enjoy the game for the game. BUT playing my own music will not only help me practice my lip sync, but ill be twerking while whooping that ass. OMG! IMAGINE if Uncle JBeezY did THAT at a tournament? Hahahah OOOOOO they will be mad! I needs to try this. Thank ya kindly Dr. @Vslayer. very Righteous :)
Sweet hope it helps :D let me know!

OH SHIT!! I almost forgot about Two Steps From Hell. Legit makes you feel like you're going to fucking war.
YES. I absolutely love them, I used to listen to that a lot when writing and doing school work.

I like this when I'm drunk playing, but when actually playing I need the sound queues.

Also, I absolutely feed off of the crowd popping off and commenting during tournaments. Nothing better than landing a sick sequence and everyone is just going crazy.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
When I lab things out, I tend to listen this epic music.

But when I'm playing against others, or in tournies, I close my cochliac hearing aid. This gives me total silence, as if you were at some forest far away from the civilization, and that helps you with high concentration. Helps with my reaction skills.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_

I muted the in game music and just play themes like this whenever I play Mk.
Keeps me calm and relaxed even when im getting bodied lmao

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I have a very note sensitive guy, when a music clicks i can go on and one listen to it instrument by intrument.
And there are moments where i start to associate musics with things, for example when MKX was announced for some reason i started to hear a lot of David Bergeaud specifically Ratchet and Clank 3 and ever since they introduced Cassie Cage to the world, she has become one of my favorite MK characters, not only that but i also started to associate this theme with her

Now i think, After going through the whole Ratchet and Clank Soundtracks composed by Bergeaud, seeing how good he is on adapting Military themes in those games, can't help to think if NRS makes a team up with him, specifically to create music for Special Forces Stages, and Characters would be probably the best idea, and that's just one song, if you check every single one of the R&C Soundtracks, David its just a beast at his own game, he even admited he doesn't know how he did those stuffs these days and says its kinda impossible to recreate the setup (which i don't believe it)

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Just get this rocking every time you hop on KL.

I mean, it makes sense:
You'll die MULTIPLE times to things you probably shouldn't die to.
Your health will vanish like a Thanos Snap after one KB combo.
There will be a lingering desire to put your controller through the nearest wall.

The similarities are uncanny.

xKMMx

Banned
I use sound cues to hitconfirm so all this is bust for me
I was gonna say the same thing. I have music on in the background sometime but never without the sound on in the game. Core A gaming had an awesome video about why sound matters in fighting games. After watching that I started to really pick up on how much the sound helps me hit confirm or even react to opponents moves being blocked.

xKMMx

Banned
I listen to a lot of metal music when I play but these are some favorites I recommend to anyone looking to add to their playlists. Even if your not a Metal fan these will get you in the "I want to destroy every thing I see" mode.

1. Pantera - Use my third Arm
  2. Pantera - Strength beyond strength
  3. Cannibal Corpse - Hammer smashed face
  4. Lamb of God - Omerta
  5. Slayer - Exile

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Back in MKX I used to have Cammy's SF2 theme playing and I usually played a lot better. Skrillex-Reptile u can't go wrong with either. Rap in general I find helps for me.

But I'm gonna try to play while listening to Joe Rogan talk abt DMT and see how that turns out for me :DOGE