What's new

How much fun are you having after patch 1.17?

How much fun

• Much better

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • Same for me

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • Uninstalled

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
How much fun you are having now with the game? on a scale of 1 to 10?

I think this is the first time since the beta where i really get to enjoy this game, it doesn't feel stiff and restricted when you block stuff and certainly i no longer get legit scared of punishing an unsafe move because i might drop it and get punished for it.

Yes i know there are certain individuals who are not happy with the buffer change for punishment and want to revert because apparently there is no "skill" to punish a move that should totally be punishable before.

Anyway, even if Skarlet didn't get a major of utility buffs, i still think the game overall feels a bit more enjoyable, the fact that i can punish risks consistently it's a huge difference in MU and yolo BS is not even allowed, Sindel, Scorpion D'vorah among a few others, had a way to constantly abuse some of their specials and get away with it.

For example Kitanas B231, D2 KB, if you flawless blocked, the blockstun was so massive that you had to way 1.5 seconds before starting input your punish, not only had to read the d2 then you had to read when to punish. Now the only barrier is flawless block and punish i love it.

Yes i will repeat again, i know there is some ppl who don't like this change and want it reverted, but i disagree heavily, this was one of the best changes in the game for months, the insane blockstuns are pretty much non existant as it should be, scorpion amplified TP, Kitana string, Sindel in general, Kotal and even Skarlet where character who heavily relied on this gimmick because they had a hard to punish move, some more annoying than the others, and now everyone can actually punish and you want it out? come on.

Anyway, here is a vid of me having fun in KL punishing everything while having fun.

Game has foundations for cool implementations, i'm not sure if season 2 is coming, but i like the direction they're taking the game, hopefully more cool stuff with spawn release.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Well, I WAS able to neuch a Jacqui throw attempt and punish with 12~iceball, WITHOUT getting fucked over from the second hit of the string whiffing. So that's a plus in my book.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Everything feels better.
I feel more enthusiastic and confident just knowing that huge chunk of the bullshit has been worked out.
Both my characters rely on their B1 to survive, and now punishing and not getting mashed out of my turn are more consistent across the board.
Great step forward.

Yes i know there are certain individuals who are not happy with the buffer change for punishment and want to revert because apparently there is no "skill" to punish a move that should totally be punishable before.
This is such a curious position to have. Isn't this change specifically online motivated? Have there been tons of tight-ish offline punishes getting missed in tournament that I missed?

There's no universe where making the game more consistent is a bad thing.

Last edited:
I still thinking jumping is way too strong. I fought a well known kitana last night and the entire game was un-antiairable j3 spam into float mixups that randomly were and weren’t anti airable. Like you could probably count the number of times he advanced me on the ground instead of jumping in on one hand. Neutral in this game is still voided by jumping way too easily. And ik u can FB now but that’s still easier said than done when you need to guess when they’re gonna j3 mid arc and if they’re gonna j3 at all or empty jump.

haven't tried it against real people. seems like more of the same but the one really big change being the block buffer. apparently the patch messes up frame traps so who knows. honestly I'm waiting for that kl with the scorpion skin to jump back in on top of not getting anything for scorpion in this patch(which I hope isn't the big patch). is it enough to jump back in now?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
haven't tried it against real people. seems like more of the same but the one really big change being the block buffer. apparently the patch messes up frame traps so who knows. honestly I'm waiting for that kl with the scorpion skin to jump back in on top of not getting anything for scorpion in this patch(which I hope isn't the big patch). is it enough to jump back in now?
my main didn't got shit officially but i'm still having so much fun, it says a lot, Skarlet even has anti-air combos now its crazy.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
what about kotal and blockstan pre-patch? Where is abuse, i missed it
that Cat was -8 and was very hard to punish, Skarlet 212 was -11 but was extremely hard to punish with even 7f and she could duck and launch you for trying.

In general made the game more responsive it doesn't feel like it freezes when you press buttons out of block in some situations anymore.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
what about kotal and blockstan pre-patch? Where is abuse, i missed it
Characters with 6-Frame D1s can consistently poke his F24 now, for one. Also much easier to jab float B223. Other than that I've never had anything I felt like I could get away with outside of F34 which I honestly lean on so much that I get flustered when someone flawless blocks it.

Oh, and as Eddy said cat used to practically be safe but I literally know of one Totemic player. Skarlet was the only character I used it for.

It's a good change, but Tweedy is actually not wrong about some of it. Characters who are designed around stagger pressure are all indirectly nerfed. Applying pressure has to be much more frame-accurate since one slip leads to D1 into jail into 50/50. I mean it's not completely trivial to poke out of a stagger situation, but maybe it will be as time goes on. Maybe the buffer window could go both ways, letting you buffer your next attack, but then maybe stagger pressure would be too good? Idk, balancing fighting games is really hard people

This game is steadily getting better with these changes though. Poke mashing is way easier to deal with now, since you can block, counterpoke, and jail really easily. After the Fatal Blow changes I've already come back around to it.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This game is steadily getting better with these changes though. Poke mashing is way easier to deal with now, since you can block, counterpoke, and jail really easily. After the Fatal Blow changes I've already come back around to it.
This is what i was hoping they would do, but they did it only for block, it would give consistent combo routes to everyone on the side as well. Nerfing back to 3f it's not the way but having a attack buffer would be very niche indeed.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
This is what i was hoping they would do, but they did it only for block, it would give consistent combo routes to everyone on the side as well. Nerfing back to 3f it's not the way but having a attack buffer would be very niche indeed.
Nah, I agree. One of the big things that was ruining this game was how you had to know the exact timing to punish a group of niche moves. You don't have to deal with that in hardly any other fighting game. Honestly, I'd be cool with them giving everyone a standing hitbox when punishable too.

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
the only comment as a PC player i can say
still waiting to play this new patch but because i know what a buffer winder is and how it feels
its already easy to say that i will enjoy it more than before

so far i dont play anymore until the patch finally hits the second class PC customers supporter by big money WB games ...

hope to see more buffer window changes in the future and more "casuals" will love the game to play, i am sure
(those 2% super pros who play 8 hours a day to nail perfect links are not the audiance you should develop for, imo)

happy friday the 13th xD

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I am not a pro player, so I can hardly detect the changes in the meta.

But I am really glad to hear people who were unhappy commenting that the game became more enjoyable for them.

I feel that i've been playing better since the patch, beating players or having closer matches that I was previously losing to quite consistently.

Don't know if it's the patch or just i'm playing better...I'm still crap, but slightly better crap.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm happy that a lot of people are enjoying the update, but it's still just not fun to me. The moves they're implementing that ignore breakaways is definitely a step in the right direction, though. ALL CHARACTERS need to have them. Breakaways are trash and I'm so sick of seeing them constantly.

There's just far too much that would need to change for me to truly enjoy MK11. I know that won't ever be happening, as it would completely change what the game is.