What's new

How Mortal Kombat 11's Custom Variations Will Work In Competitive Play

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
No it wasn’t. Most of the people complaining about will not travel anyways.
Agreed. But as a spectator I'd be mad hype if someone plays my own preset. And as a competitive player, it would make it way more interesting to learn the game then just 3 variations. Also it's not that big of a deal with all these moves. It's not like you have to learn a new character, it's just learning additional moves and adding them to the base character. MKX had way more variety, since the characters had not only different specials, but also different normals and strings.

Is it me or is this article mistitled then? Because custom variations will not work in competitive play?

Edit: I derped out and read it wrong. Ignore me.

i don't understand the dissapointment. what are you loosing? every move will be in at least one preset variation. tbh cc seemed like a gimmick.

Kustom variations not only made Scorpion better, it made him more fun to play ....
thats the point. you had more fun with scorpion because he was better than supposed to be. the other players might not find it fun to play against an op character.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Greta news! It would have made the game a competitive joke allowing full customization.
I agree, but boooooiiii are people gonna be mad.

I think everyone should put down the pitchforks for the moment. Remember that with Injustice 2, there was never even a whisper of a chance of all the extra moves and such outside of competitive getting any sunlight. THIS system, on the other hand, comes with a built in opportunity to prove or disprove the validity of this verdict.

All I can hope is that this thread gets the attention of NRS somehow. The responses already seem to agree.
Listen to the nephew, y'all.
If this is really THAT big an issue, do not let it die. Vote, poll, make videos, whatever's clever. It's up to the community to put in the work to make change happen.

kcd117

Noob
So sad. Hype levels dropped from a 20/10 to 2/10. I would rather hear from them that the game is being delayed a full month than this crap.

Still, I'd like to have a confirmation by an official source bc that article does sound like a lot of old info recycled.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I can only imagine they couldn't figure out a way that would be fair and time efficient to have custom in tournaments and they want ranked have the same rules.
Well that’s not my fault, it’s theirs. Don’t punish me cause you can’t manage your time correctly and rush to release every new title..

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
So sad. Hype levels dropped from a 20/10 to 2/10. I would rather hear from them that the game is being delayed a full month than this crap.

Still, I'd like to have a confirmation by an official source bc that article does sound like a lot of old info recycled.
Tag the NRS staff in your posts.

MAN0

DevilApes
Custom variations was a great idea for giving people reason to spend hours in lab but take that away and the game will parish in months. Very disappointing.

Mkx had a great tournament scene and hype I don't see that happening this time.

okay if the really add cc for ranked after this backlash, than absolutely NO ONE here has the right to criticize nrs for bad balancing. apparently thats what you want.

i don't understand the dissapointment. what are you loosing? every move will be in at least one preset variation. tbh cc seemed like a gimmick.

thats the point. you had more fun with scorpion because he was better than supposed to be. the other players might not find it fun to play against an op character.
Why trim out the part where I said I felt it did not throw off the balance? Misery Blade didn't make him OP it made him feel complete.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I don't compete in tournaments but I will go ahead and say it, when I am playing online ranked or kasual I want to play by the same rules as the pros. So even though I can still hop into kasual and play my custom Baraka I made in the beta, it wouldn't feel right. So now if I want to play Baraka with Gutted I have to use that spike launch move I don't really like...yay!

I feel like this is a wasted opportunity for something special. I could have swore most people enjoyed the custom variations when we played the stress test/beta. I understand it could cause long run times in tournaments but idk, I feel like with such emphasis on custom variations being this cool new thing it seems a bit pointless now.

I dunno, this feels like such a bait and switch to me. All of the marketing material is talking about how the game is based around Custom Variations, and in every Kombat Kast they go through a character, talking about what moves they picked for that variation and why. And yet in reality, the game's serious modes don't work like that at all, which makes the custom variation system no different than the equipable moves from Injustice 2.

Why trim out the part where I said I felt it did not throw off the balance? Misery Blade didn't make him OP it made him feel complete.
but it still made him better than the vision nrs has. you played a beta for a few days. i trust nrs. they don't take it out for no reason.

gitblame

Noob
Good mature decision. You guys are too shor sighted, hot header and again you jump into conclusions before you hear 'go'.

First, let's talk about offline tournaments. Custom variations couldn't work in that environment. No TO could handle the mayhem it would cause. Imagine setting up variation before each set. Imagine some players would have to set up another variation after they lose a match and would like to switch. Imagine adjusting your variation after you see what moves your oponnent picked. Imagine how ridiculous blind picking would look if they tried to ban counterpicking). And you guys would then cry, our sets besides top 8 are First to 1.

Of course there would be online modes for custom variations. And unlike Injustice 2 people will actually fuckin play it, because we won't have the stupid stats factor anymore. I bet we will get another ladder and ranks for custom variation modes too. I am SURE there will even be tournaments for kustom variations we can all play.
But there has to be a mode for competetive play where are the same rules as in offline tournaments. Before you burn NRS devs at stake I advise to wait and see how many online modes are gonna be.

About your shortsight. You guys definetly don't see how much freedom and balance options this solution gives to the devs. I can bet my ass that for custom variations we will figure out the best sets within a 3 months and we will see the same characters over and over again. With preset variations, that are not set in stone - they can add new, change existing one, switch moves between variations - meta can be fluid and shaped by NRS accordingly. Also they can do it much faster. If balance change will require only add new variation to weaker character or change moves in overpowered variation for other - they can do it super fast. No more adjusting moves itself or messing out with frames and hitboxes to balance things out.

If there is any concern about this - they have to do it really smart. It would be bummer if there were moves that would never be used. They have to design variations that way, so we still can use all available moves and at the same time balance it well. It's huge challange for NRS and I hope they will make it.

Let's just wait and see. You guys were already wrong 100 times.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
If the MK11 community truly wants custom variations to be a tournament standard, then they need to work with the organizers to make it happen.
Don’t let NRS determine the fate of this feature - the community/tourney organizers are perfectly capable of setting its own standard of how this game should be played in tournaments. Fucking figure it out and quit being victims.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I dunno, this feels like such a bait and switch to me. All of the marketing material is talking about how the game is based around Custom Variations, and in every Kombat Kast they go through a character, talking about what moves they picked for that variation and why. And yet in reality, the game's serious modes don't work like that at all, which makes the custom variation system no different than the equipable moves from Injustice 2.
All preference aside, this is the weirdest part to me. Why go through the mass advertising of how Kustom is the next big thing, only for it to be meaningless in tourney and ranked play lol. Sounds like a last minute change of heart, maybe discussion after the stress test and beta.