What's new

How Mortal Kombat 11's Custom Variations Will Work In Competitive Play

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
WOW! Thats fucking bullshit. So are they gonna add fill all 3 slots in those variations? Cuz like i mentioned before, Skarlet had a variation with only had 2 moves filled with 1 open for you to place. I think this idea is lazy as fuck to cater to those who were outraged for the sake of being outraged.

Congrats to the lame bums who doin't even fucking compete.

BUT i have faith this can possibly change in the future.
Of course they will man. Do you really think in the full game that they will have variations that don’t use all the move slots?

The build for beta was from September I read. The beta wasn’t about balance or competitive play. Relax my guy.

And, you guys are all being so doom and gloom. If they had allowed custom variations I would’ve been ok with that, but the preset variation system in mkx was great. They’ve said repeatedly that they’ll adjust variations and balance moves, adding and removing them as needed and said that their goal is to have every move represented in a variation. Let’s see what they cook up before the whole thing is written off.

For one thing, the overwhelming majority of people who buy mk will never not one time play competitively, either in an offline or online tournament. Even people here on this site and on Reddit say things like, “I don’t play people online at all....I have maybe played 10 games total online between mk9, mkx, and injustice 2”.

Single player modes are a major, major draw for people. It’s totally ok that NRS adds features and includes modes, options, moves, etc. that are intended to be enjoyed outside of the competitive setting. Single player content, story mode, customization/gear grind, living towers etc. are hugely popular and are one of the aspect so of NRS games that make them stand out and appeal to such a wide audience.

Offline tournaments are considered HUGE (not including EVO) when they have 300-400 entrants. Think about that. This game will sell millions of copies. People say things like, “why include all these cool moves when no one will ever see or use them?!”. And no one realizes that these moves are used constantly.

I think it’s interesting how all of a sudden everyone is clamoring for custom variations in competitive play when just recently it seemed people wanted the opposite.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I also hope they create the UI in character select to quickly make/adjust kustom variations.

But if its not there, then that doesnt mean we still cant implement them.

It shouldnt take more than 20 seconds to quickly make a kustom variation (changing abilities only) and configuring your buttons.

And then midset, there should be a rule implemented that suggest that you cannot go back and make another kustom variation. You get 1 per set. If u have to counter pick, you use a preset variation.
Even if they don’t implement a character select screen UI, it’s actually pretty fast. Since our variations didn’t save in the beta, I became extremely fast at quickly setting up my characters to how I had them the day before. Skins and gear and all. Once you know what you like, it is super fast and easy.
I would be thrilled to be wrong in this instance.

Peter Quill

You’re No Fun
no one should be surprised by this as it was stated months ago they were leaning on preset variations for tourny and ranked.

you can play around in casual mode. the stat boost wont happen unless both players agree to turn it on so that's not an issue either.

even if it was allowed players will just find 1 or 2 customs that are actually viable and you wont see 90% of the slots anyways. you have a right to be disappointed but it wouldn't change much at the end of day.
There’s a difference between being surprised by this and being let down by this.

I fully expected this but I’m still 100% let down because it’s a load of horseshit and I HOPED that NRS would actually make half an EFFORT to even PRETEND that this variation crapnisnt just some gimmicky bullshit. I WANT to see people using their own variations in tourneys. Its stupid to have this feature if they’re not even going to ****ing use it

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Like I've said before, for me, it's simply a matter of player choice/creativity = depth and longevity. That's been my experience since I picked up fgs and that's where I'm coming from on this.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
I feel like most if not all the charcter will already have 2 meta varations that pro players will use. I wonder if they will change them as the meta changes.

Dear god, they better fix some of the present variations then cuz some of them were unusable.
it's an old build. Chances are things have changed dramatically since then, in terms of movesets and properties.

Smart way to go about it. You can balance a move, or even swap moves to avoid making a move useless.
Exactly.

It's easy to say make move X 3 slots if it's OP, but what if it's only OP in tandem with move Y? Or move Y & Z together? Do you nerf move X which may affect it's viability when it's used with moves A, B, C, D, effectively making it a one variation only move anyway? Do you disable them from being selected together artificially forcing a variation anyway? Do you change it's properties based on what other moves are selected?

I understand why people want Kustom variations, but i'm with NRS on this and think this is the best way around it.

I've heard some people worry that you can't make a viable UI for custom variations in tournament play. I don't believe that's true at all. I made this after a few minutes of messing around and think this should make the process easy. All it needs is to have a few seconds delay when confirming ability selections so that the opponent has a chance to see the other's loadout.

https://ibb.co/GQqxdm8

Last edited:

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
Not sure how I feel about this since the variation system and anything akin to it has felt like a ham-fisted attempt at introducing depth and more "options" since it's introduction. In the beta the 3 slot load out coupled with the anemic base tool kits felt restrictive, and in MKX variations just felt tedious and superfluous towards the end. There were at least 98 potential mus you had to learn and, I mean, come the fuck on... who was gonna sit there and lab High Tech when you maybe came across one once every 6 months? And this is to say nothing in the way of balance.

And if I were to judge off the beta alone, I don't see how allowing custom load outs would change much for a character like Scorpion who's more or less married to Misery Blade in his current state. But sure, having to chose between such abundant options like Demon dash and Flame breath is a luxury that'll surely be missed, I guess.

That said I understand the frustration caused by seemingly disingenuous marketing and having the freedom of choice taken away from you, but I'd be lying If I said the variation system in any form didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. At the end of the day I don't want to piece together fragments of a tool kit, or chose between one-third of a whole. Can we just get fully fleshed, well designed, competitively viable, whole characters? Hold the frills.

gitblame

Noob
They probably wanted to give us custom variations in tournaments and ranked, but they looked up in beta stats and saw all of you using Scorpions with misery blade and demon dash and they said - yeah, fuck it

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
They probably wanted to give us custom variations in tournaments and ranked, but they looked up in beta stats and saw all of you using Scorpions with misery blade and demon dash and they said - yeah, fuck it
Yeah because we all wanted to use Teleport Cancel and Chain Reaction too, but then took one look at the frame data and were like - Yeah, fuck it.

Last edited:

Killusion

Stream addict
They really should have shown "official tournament variations" on Kombat Kast from the beginning. This just feels like false advertising.

Injustice 2 situation was way worse ("we created bunch of cool stuff that you can't use because we didn't bother to balance it") but this still stings.

gitblame

Noob
They really should have shown "official tournament variations" on Kombat Kast from the beginning. This just feels like false advertising.

Injustice 2 situation was way worse ("we created bunch of cool stuff that you can't use because we didn't bother to balance it") but this still stings.
1. They might not have them ready yet.
2. If they start balancing things out, creating new variations on switching moves between variations you would call it false advertisment as well.