What's new

How good is Trilogy for PC

dreemernj

Ambassador
Definately. Something ded_ clued us into was to click Help and then About and see if it says (Final) next to the date it was compiled. If it does, its the up to date version of the game, so its gameplay should be identical to Greatest Hits MKT for PSX. On top of that, it has limited netplay (IPX only but extendable with GiT), and you can play it with no loading time.

A truly great deal.

JagoMIH

Noob
What is GiT? I want some way to play MKT online without having to use IPX. I tried Kali, but I don't think it supports MKT...

dreemernj

Ambassador
Jago said:
What is GiT? I want some way to play MKT online without having to use IPX. I tried Kali, but I don't think it supports MKT...
GIT is a client/server application. You run it on your computer as a server. Someone else runs it on their computer and connects to your computer. Once that connection is made, start a game in MKT using IPX and have the other person start MKT and go to IPX play and your game should show up for them. Then you can play it online across the internet.

Kali does the same thing but you have to connect through Kali, this lets you just connect directly to someone elses computer. So far I have used it once on MKT for PC, and a bunch of times for Rise of the Triad and Blood in DOSBox. I don't have the link readily available but I will find it and post it when I get a chance.

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
dreemernj said:
Definately. Something ded_ clued us into was to click Help and then About and see if it says (Final) next to the date it was compiled. If it does, its the up to date version of the game, so its gameplay should be identical to Greatest Hits MKT for PSX.
Wow, I was never aware that there was PC version that had the GH bugfixes! I'd better check my copy when I go home. Is there any way to patch it to the "Final" version if you have the earlier version? I got mine around early '99, at a KayBee Toys of all places, so I suppose it's feasible that it may already be the final version if I bought it that late.

hey, i was reading the page... and is interestant everything here... there are a way to play online MKT without lag?... what´s IPX?... thanks...

dreemernj

Ambassador
IPX is a protocol for communicating over a network. TCP or UDP are what is usually used across the internet. IPX is designed to be used on a local network.

GIT is a program that receives all the IPX stuff, and retransmits it over the internet to another computer.

There is lag involved. But it can be reasonable if the players aren't too far apart and have good connections.

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Just checked the "About" section in my MKT help menu.

Next to "Compiled," it says "08-07-97,23:50:46 (Final)." Awesome! So this version should have the fixed gravity and everything???

1. First release
-Known as 'buggy trilogy' from combovids
-was PSX exclusive at the time.
-This game had 'moon gravity' which made much easier combos as well as new cheap ones.
-orange

2. Second release
-Out for saturn and PC as well.
-silver
-¿Some fixes?

3. Final release
-GH psx and Final version PC
-said to have gameplay exactly matching UMK3

dreemernj

Ambassador
BustaUppa said:
Just checked the "About" section in my MKT help menu.

Next to "Compiled," it says "08-07-97,23:50:46 (Final)." Awesome! So this version should have the fixed gravity and everything???
Yep, that should be it.

EDIT: And here is a link to GIT:

http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/

The Gamer's Internet Tunnel. Since the last time I tried it I see they've extended the program to do more than just tunnel IPX. Now it can also do TCP and UDP ports.

DAVE101 said:
1. First release
-Known as 'buggy trilogy' from combovids
-was PSX exclusive at the time.
-This game had 'moon gravity' which made much easier combos as well as new cheap ones.
-orange

2. Second release
-Out for saturn and PC as well.
-silver
-¿Some fixes?

3. Final release
-GH psx and Final version PC
-said to have gameplay exactly matching UMK3
What do u mean by orange and silver? As in the Title screen?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have an orange label that is fine gameplay wise. I'm not sure what bugs were fixed in the GH version that weren't in this.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Yeah, I don't think we can go strictly by the colors. Chances are the changes in colors and the changes in revisions didn't coincide. One of the colors is probably more likely to be buggy than the other, but its not definitive.

Kaiba

Noob
How well compatable is the game with plug and play usb controllers? Or a plug in device to a console controller?

dreemernj

Ambassador
You have to know someone else with the game and both of you have to have GIT installed. There is no finder service that connects you with players.

How in the hell do you play this game on windows XP? I have it installed. It says "Final" so that's good. But it freezes everytime I try to play it. I've downloaded some supposed XP patches to play this game, too.

Edit
Nevermind I found the right patch. Incase anyone's interested: http://home.comcast.net/~heavyweights/games/mkt/index.htm

The game plays really fast. I don't know if it's just my computer or the game but I kinda like it.

It's faster than MKT for PSX. Not too fast though.

I'll share it with you guys here if you want so you can mess around with it too. But i have no idea how to make an ISO or anything.