What's new

How Good Are You At Making Reads!?!

Do these same principles apply to fighting game fundamentals?

• Yes (50/50s are not true guessing)

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • No (50/50s are pure guessing)

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters

oNe87_Kentucky

Hunter, Not hunted.
Lmao. This reminds me of something I did in school. I would go around to people and challenging them to rock paper scissors and say "scissors always wins" just to fuck with them. It established a mind game and I'd exploit it. I swear I didn't lose a set out of like 50
Rock beats all... Rock breaks scissors, Rock goes through paper, My rock is bigger than all other rocks. I challenge you to a FT10,000

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I'm so good, they call me the Mind Reader. Sometimes, they feel so demoralized, they claim I'm the Dream Sweeper. But really, I'm a liar and a combo eater.

E

Eldriken

18-20-19

Will probably try a FT100 later since I'm at work and bored off my ass. Seven hours of doing nothing to go.

Vagrant

Warrior
I never have a read on a character.

I get reads on the player. And it comes and goes kinda. when I get frustrated I'm not paying as much attention to patterns of my opponent so I'm constantly just kind of guessing. When I'm confident is when I really pick up on their patterns.

20-0 btw. But I figured out how to exploit the AI a few months ago when I had to do that crazy "The Max" battle mode.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Playing Dueling Network and Yu-Gi-Oh Pro made me hone my skills at RPS, it's all about establishing a meta and playing mind-games around it.

Most players in DN and YGOPro go for Rock first, so you either play it safe and do Rock to get the tie, or risk the paper and get counter-picked by scissors. Anyways, that's only a FT1 though, it's definitely different in longer sets where the Yomi levels rise.

as for 50/50s in FGs, I don't think they're game-breaking, but it definitely dumbs down the mind-games. Because why play footsies or guess what the opponent does on wake-up when you can just put them in a braindead 50/50 and win a coinflip.

Vulcan Hades

Warrior
The "problem" with Injustice-type mixups is that you can't react to a lot of them and you also can't escape once you are trapped in the blender and so you are forced to guess.

In SF, the average overhead is 20f which is reactable for humans. But if you condition your opponent with low attacks you will still hit them with it. And like Xian has pointed out before, most 50/50s in SF aren't pure 50/50s because on top of choosing to block high or low or left/right, you also have the option to reversal, FADC or backdash. These are escape options the opponent needs to take into consideration when applying pressure. Will you try to block correctly, reversal or backdash? You have ways to condition your opponent to respect you or not. In Injustice, the vortex character almost always has the advantage in mixup situations because you can't escape a lot of them (e.g. you can't reversal vs OTGs and you can't backdash when you're -60). So they don't need to respect you at all. They know you just have to block. Not to mention you don't have enough time in 2/3s to analyze patterns and adapt or counter them.

Of course Injustice vortexes are fine due to the pushblock/wager/round system and lack of comeback mechanic. So it's not a problem. But they would be a problem (at least to me) in a different fighting game.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I don't tend to do these things since, you know, it's a computer program. It can easily be programmed to counter-pick you, and it gets to pick AFTER you've picked...

I'm just saying that it isn't a human, this would be like a human looking at your buttons and pressing the ones that prevent whatever move you make hitting. Not saying that it is pre-programmed to do that or obviously it'd win every game, just pointing this out lol

And it does tell you how the computer guesses your next move so I don't believe any one of you for a second :DOGE

D

Deleted member 28105

I'm actually pretty good when it comes to reading. I read Fight Club in one night. Also Robin Hood.

when it comes to overhead/low 50/50's or choosing which side to block, it might as well be completely random. Unless youre playing like a first to 50 or something I dont really feel like you can make reads whether the opponent is going high or low, it might as well be a guess. Yes you can kinda see patterns, but it is a 50/50, the opponent might have just chosen randomly and didn't think about blocking high or low and were just lazy and just pushed down to block. 50/50's are just guesses for me.

Reads are like knowing when the opponent is going to do something if they have multiple options(jumping, backdashing, armor, poking out) and they are more likely to choose a certain option in a situation where it is more effective or safe.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I do this all the time on this yugioh client, people always go for paper because they think people choose rock. So I have a very high success rate with scissors.