What's new

How Good Are You At Making Reads!?!

Do these same principles apply to fighting game fundamentals?

• Yes (50/50s are not true guessing)

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • No (50/50s are pure guessing)

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Rock, Paper, Scissor: A seemingly simple game. It is all guessing right? 33/33/33?

Wrong. Human-beings are almost incapable of being random. They have patterns and patterns can be learned and further exploited. High level fighting game players should be familiar with this concept.

Even in a simple game like rock, paper, scissor can human tendency be exploited. Random play would suggest you win 33.3% of the time, lose 33.3% of the time, and tie 33.3% of the time, but this does not happen when you play someone (or something...) good at making reads.

Test your 'luck' against a veteran computer designed to adapt to your pattern of play.

My challenge to all of you is to beat the computer in a FT20. It is fun and potentially good practice to help you make better reads).

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/science/rock-paper-scissors.html

Side note:

I feel that as fighting game players understand this concept . Which is why 50/50s or 33/33/33 are not meta breaking, since a player good at making reads (a valued skill) will prevail more often than chance. It rewards smart players who pick up on human tendencies in seeming 'chance' situations. What do you all think?

Post your results! How good are you at making reads? Can you escape batgirls blender of doom!?!

Edit: Try fighting the "veteran" computer in a FT100.... pathetic humans!

Last edited:

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
re
Rock, Paper, Scissor: A seemingly simple game. It is all guessing right? 33/33/33?

Wrong. Human-beings are almost incapable of being random. They have patterns and patterns can be learned and further exploited. High level fighting game players should be familiar with this concept.

Even in a simple game like rock, paper, scissor can human tendency be exploited. Random play would suggest you win 33.3% of the time, lose 33.3% of the time, and tie 33.3% of the time, but this does not happen when you play someone (or something...) good at making reads.

Test your 'luck' against a veteran computer designed to adapt to your pattern of play.

My challenge to all of you is to beat the computer in a FT20. It is fun and potentially good practice to help you make better reads).

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/science/rock-paper-scissors.html

Side note:

I feel that as fighting game players understand this concept . Which is why 50/50s or 33/33/33 are not meta breaking, since a player good at making reads (a valued skill) will prevail more often than chance. It rewards smart players who pick up on human tendencies in seeming 'chance' situations. What do you all think?

Post your results! How good are you at making reads? Can you escape batgirls blender of doom!?!
Hey dude remember when u played me last i was batgirl and i did at least 20 bolos before teleporting the ONE time u tried pressing a button? so yeah im pretty godlke at making reads

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I'm a terrible RPS player, but I'm usually pretty good about making a read in fighting games.

The difference is that in RPS I have a split second in most situations to decide what to do, and I can't see my opponents body language in the way their character moves like in a fighting game. In fighting games you can collect data from so many situations and use that to make a prediction about what they are going to do.

Also if you don't believe I'm bad at RPS I went 0-2 at the last WNF RPS tournament I entered.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
As an amateur Fighting Game Player I have to say… We can talk about this kind of stuff all the time. But what happens when you're in the game and randomly encounter those players who are so good they knock you down then completely blow up and option you attempt on wake-up, nearly perfecting you in the process.

How do you learn from a loss like that?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
18-16-20

Like stated earlier, the thing just predicts based on your patterns. If you're not completely braindead, you don't get mopped up.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
20/22/28 on veterant
is all about patterns, stablish your patterns and change them right before the opponent figures them out
I do this quite often.
I work at home depot, I usually have to do the rock, papers, scissors shoot and this one guy to see who covers the lot guy when he goes to lunch.
I can't remember last time I had to cover the lot
I usually tend to do rocks, if tie I do the same shit.
next day I do the option that would have beaten the option that would have beated my option the previous day.
Mind games, I love them

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Of course it applies. .its the meta game.. I love when im playing people and they say "you keep doing the same shit" or "your such a pattern player". Yeah i might follow a certain algorithm or pattern, but i can change that to something else in an instant. If you dont adapt to me and make me change it then why the hell would I.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Lmao. This reminds me of something I did in school. I would go around to people and challenging them to rock paper scissors and say "scissors always wins" just to fuck with them. It established a mind game and I'd exploit it. I swear I didn't lose a set out of like 50