What's new

Strategy How do you stop cross ups?

This is off topic but this is a similar question. If your opponent knocks you down, and both of you are on neutral frames, and the opponent decides to cross you up (jump in punch), what's the best action I can do here?

My offline friends always pull this off on me.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This is off topic but this is a similar question. If your opponent knocks you down, and both of you are on neutral frames, and the opponent decides to cross you up (jump in punch), what's the best action I can do here?

My offline friends always pull this off on me.
Hold down to stay grounded and as they cross you up, roll away from them.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
How do I roll away?
When you hold down to stay grounded, you simply "roll" the pad/stick from down to the direction you want to roll which is always back. So if you stay grounded and they go to cross you up, start holding d/f which will be d/b when they go over you and you will roll away.

This is like from Tom Brady's MK9 101 from last April.

VIDA, I like to use this as well if I am standing and they try to jump over me. Kitana's 3 hits way over her head and can be used to anti-air them trying to cross you up, provided you started walking back soon enough. CD uses this well.

3 doesn't come out fast enough (for me.)

I can't do it on reaction, I have to anticipate it to do a 3.

I can sometimes pull off JK fan though.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
One thing is for sure, if you are ever in doubt, just block.

But in casuals, try to anti air EVERYTHING, this will help you learn the timing and what you can and cannot do so when tournament time comes around, you go in with knowledge and confidence.

Ninja Edit: You know what helps me immensely when dealing with crossups? Dashing out of their reach when they go over you. It makes your life much easier when you can do this without thinking.

A D+1 is a double edged sword for stopping crossups for kitana. It does lower her hitbox and if you are experienced enough, can allow you to catch them in an anti air combo. However, at times when you use it to low profile, she can get hit which is why this is an unreliable choice. If you are in much of a position to react to it, the best thing you can do is a jp or jk to air fan and beat them out in mid air in that situation. Basically, Kitana has total air control in that situation. USE IT :)