What's new

Strategy How do you stop cross ups?

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
cyrax, raiden, rain all teleport then cross up and i can't land cutter, 2, or uppercut in time. my natural reaction is to jam d3 or d1, and sometimes that works, but they often just cross me up again and hit me.

how am i supposed to escape cross up pressure with kitana?

aj1701

Noob
cyrax, raiden, rain all teleport then cross up and i can't land cutter, 2, or uppercut in time. my natural reaction is to jam d3 or d1, and sometimes that works, but they often just cross me up again and hit me.

Is this online or off? I think those things work if your offline but online, ya its rough. A well timed d3 can dodge it a maybe give you a chance to get out.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
If this is specifically about teleporters... bait the teleports and punish them. This goes doubly for online. Most times I come across a person with a massive W/L ratio it's because they abuse raiden's lag-port. Easy counter is to predict the teleport (in this instance, every 5 seconds) and punish it.

You do that consistently and they will have to switch their game up, and that means that they are reacting to you now.

and that means

The power

is

MINE
YOURS

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
You could even dash forward as they cross you up.. giving you space to do w/e

Use d1 easy to time or use 2

Other options

Njp
Jump back kick
Jump back punch
212 on reaction should move you away
D3 lowers hit box

online or offline, if you know t hey are going to jump over you after teleport, do neutral jump punch.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
One of kitanas best options which i dont see many people use on a cross up jip is down 1. believe it or not it lowers her hitbox to that of mileenas d4. it causes jip to whiff and even sometimes the character going for the jip never turns in her directions and just punch in the opposite direction.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
d1, d4, or even dash forward as they are crossing you up, then their cross up will wiff. Armored moves are good too. Can also njp if you are anticipating a cross up or jump back kick into air fan combo.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
One of kitanas best options which i dont see many people use on a cross up jip is down 1. believe it or not it lowers her hitbox to that of mileenas d4. it causes jip to whiff and even sometimes the character going for the jip never turns in her directions and just punch in the opposite direction.

I disagree. It can work but I don't know how many times I've been blown up by a delayed cross up JIP. In my experience d+3 is much better for that.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
d1 is sketchy. What if they do a jk? Especially against another Kitana... that means 30%+ you just lost trying to d1 or whatever.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I disagree. It can work but I don't know how many times I've been blown up by a delayed cross up JIP. In my experience d+3 is much better for that.
Damn, well that idea goes out the window lol. To be honest since i use cyber i usually just dive kick the bitch when she attempts anything like that. I have a hard time hitting her when she does this unless i delay the hit like you said. ill take your word anyway since you are an awesome kit player.

Noserfatu

I guess I gotta mash D3 instead of D1 and then ass out to be safe... I am getting better at AA with 2 or 3. When you d3 a crossup, do you typically ass out?

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
I do d1 but I know how inconsistent it is. Ive seen CD just back dash out of cross ups and always wanted to implement that into my game since auto correction with 3~fan is very sketchy. I also think a back dash into lift can be profitable.

Idk why but I feel like jumps in this game are harder to react to than even hops in KOF XIII for some reason. I think most MK players just got to use to not aa'ing and their char eating a block string when they saw a fast jump coming (jumps are pretty fast and magnetic in this game, but their not as fast as KOF hops).

Noserfatu

I've gotten better with D1-ing people out of crossups with other my other chars (Sonya, rain) and I'm trying to translate that with Kitana. I did some testing and I can most consistently do D1, into a D1 cutter on a cross up (10%). If you want to get fancy, I was able to land D1 into 21 cutter. If you get a lot of meat on it, it can do 15%, but the height has to be perfect when you catch them with the first D1 and its not really practical in a match. D1 into 212 works as well as D1 into D1Cutter, if not better

The cool thing I found was that you can do D1 on a crossup into 2 Ex Lift. I was never able to link the regular lift. I hope this helps to anyone looking to punish cross ups with more effectiveness. Depending on the height in which you catch their jump in on D1, you can link 21 into Ex lift too.

You can link anti air D1 into B33 lift if you're a damn jedi.

To sum up, When you're in the process of being crossed up and theres nothing you can do except block or poke, I would D1 into 212 meterless, or D1 into 21 Ex Lift if you want to use a bar.

Full Disclosure: I tested this in training with the computer set to jump. Unfortunately I don't have someone I can test this with for actual crossups, though I'd be happy to on PSN if you're interested.

Edit: I've seen lots of responses in regards to how to stop them from crossing you up BEFORE it happens, but I'm talking about what to do when they actually cross you up. I agree that D1 can be sketchy. For some reason I've had better success D1'ing people out of crossups with Sonya/Rain.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I like to back dash into sweep. Granted it's not a damaging punish like say 2 into fans or 3...but it knocks them down so you can escape or plan an assault.

Add me to the list of kitanas getting blown up attempting d1 during cross up. D3 isn't ideal either. Honestly my best bet has been to take the block string and be more prepared to njp the next one.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Add me to the list of kitanas getting blown up attempting d1 during cross up. D3 isn't ideal either. Honestly my best bet has been to take the block string and be more prepared to njp the next one.
Jump back kick or punch to air fan. d3 works great and avoids ALL jump punch attempts. You must be timing it wrong.