What's new

How do you pick your character?

Not just in this game, but any game? Play style? Character design? Tier List? Just curious how others go about finding their mains in video games.

Personally I always gravitate towards female characters that are either stuck up (Lili/Karin) or slightly sadistic (Mileena/Juri). What do you look for in a main?

-Blinky-

The Cyber Initiative
I like characters that have status enhancing specials, which is why I play Blood God.(Also I love Kotal Kahn as a character as well)

Also I guess I like using under utilized variations, and special moves(like sun ray, Predator Invisibilty) ect.

Last edited:

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
There are 2 ways to pick a char.
1.You pick the best,and then you try to convince everyone(even your neighbours) that he is the worst(no names included because the reply will be deleted).
2.You pick the worst,and after the loss you ask for buffs.
This is the way!

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
I always have two mains in a fighting game, one who I pick for character design, and one for playstyle. I did however wind up dropping them as a tier sellout this time around though, but generally it's those rules. Kano had the tools I wanted, and Cassie seemed like Spec Ops would be hype as hell to play.

I usually end up finding later on the character i like is top tier so i find somebody else sometimes, but always go back, I'm a character loyalist, i always played Mileena since i was a kid lol

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I always go females in FG's. Females + Zoning = main/alts (usually)

I will always go Kitana if she is in the game

If she is not in it or I want to play extra characters, I usually try out all the female cast first and choose the ones I like. In the past this has mainly been Mileena / Tanya / Ashrah / Li Mei in the games they have made an appearance.

The same goes for Sakura / Chun Li who I play in every Street fighter and Ivy in the Soul Calibur series.

I will have a go of the guys too and I usually end up with Raiden as an alt. Have also got into Ermac in the last few games

Last edited:
Okay, so my answer is somewhat philosophical. Someone who makes me feel at peace with the game and myself. Anytime I play and I'm overtly angry, stressed out, unable to make reads or think for myself, I take a break and/or choose another character. I try to play honest as possible, no dirt, no gimmicks. An honorable character that can be hype. Ryu is that character for me in Street Fighter. In MKX, it really does vary, cause it's hard for me to sit on a character, see if they have all the necessary tools, and feel easy to play for anybody, but difficult to master. What makes the main unique really isn't the character itself. It's how you adapt to the character. You are unique in your playstyle. (inb4 someone says we're all special butterflies yadda yadda that hippie bullshit).

HanSolo

Noob
This is my first "real" fighting game, so I originally picked based on nostalgia to MK when I was a kid. Scorpion, Raiden, Reptile, but none of them really clicked with me. Then I tried Erron and fell in love with Marksman. I just love his gun attacks. Then I spent months spamming specials online and mowing down salty noobs, finally started following this site closely and actually learning him. Realized he is way too fucking hard to play/execute for an online noob, so then I went looking for other characters that were more accessible to me. Vets of the FGC probably take this for granted, but as a scrub It is so nice knowing a character's entire combo list and being able to do all of them fairly consistently online or offline. #Shinnoklyfe.

Edit: I will be playing cyrax though, I don't care how many net cancels or IAFBs he has.

The Highlander

There can be only one
Honestly like when a character has tools that cover my weaknesses as a player. Ie. Wonder Woman was easy to learn, did meterless damage, fully invincible wake-up, and played a great corner game lockdown sort of style. It wasn't until I played her that I started to like her character, which is basically a badass female hercules. I did however just pick Tremor cause he's an earthbender assassin. Nothing cooler than that.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I started off with aesthetics, as I played the game I got more comfortable with my playstyle in it and swapped around till I found a main that had the tools I wanted, and then I picked someone with similar playstyle but the right the tools to cover his holes as my secondary.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
Ego is my lowest priority: I don't care how cool, annoying, sexy, whatever. It's all about the feeling of playing the character. If I can't play a character intuitively, I won't play them at all. It's something I can feel within 20 minutes of playing a character for the first time.

With that said, in most fighters I can find 2-5 characters that feel intuitive, choosing my main between them breaks down to how effective they are and how well they compensate for my weaknesses as a player and magnify my strengths.

The easiest way to explain this is with the first fighter I took seriously, and the first character I mained: Urien in 3rd Strike. I wanted to play Akuma, but his low health and stun and quarter circle motions and impossible (for me) execution didn't click with me. especially learning a fighter for the first time. So I started exploring the cast. Tried out Necro but he felt weak to me so I couldn't stick with him. Eventually I landed on Urien because I heard that he had unblockables and that intrigued me. His being a charge character helped with my execution barrier and executing his Aegis corner game was easy to implement and highly effective. So what I had was an aggressive character that rewarded for me playing aggressively, who had enough stamina to take a hit when I fucked up, who I could executed his special moves with because of his charge motions, and a killer reward in Aegis setups. As my execution and fighting intelligence refined he cemented himself as my main because of the flexibility of Aegis Reflector - that tool is like Jazz, you can just make it up as you go along.

Looking at MKX, I struggled for a few months with my main because I wanted an aggressive character who also spaced well and counterzoned well to compensate for how much I hate zoning in NRS style games. I tried Cybernetic Kano - he felt great but he felt weak cuz his playstyle requires playing perfectly; a single mistake is too costly in a game like MKX. Tried out Shinnok - he was intuitive but too linear for me. I tried D'Vorah - fun, but hate how she can't deal with pressure or zoning well. Almost gave up, then tried out the most recent DLC character, post-most recent patch, Tremor. With Aftershock, everything I want clicks: he can frustrate the opponent with air Quake, counter zone with air Quake, has crazy buttons, and ridiculous pressure/offense. His armors good, not amazing, but more versatile than most between flash parries and shatter. He feels flexible and I can innovate as I play, using his tools differently and flexibly means I can make it up as I go along, which is my favorite thing.

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
I wanted a character who had decent anti-airing capabilities and controlled space really well. I looked at Kung Jin in the character select screen, took him to the lab and went, "Aww yeah, this is my character." I guess it's a plus that he's a cocky little shit who shares the same intensity and stubborn determination that I have.