What's new

How do you footsie in MKX?

Coming from SF, I feel like there is no neutral at all. How do you play footsies in this game?
Having only stings which are most of the time not hitconfirm-able (does this word even exist? lol) makes it really hard to play any ground game tbh.

I tried to whiff punish strings but some of them hit me like fullscreen away. And trying to play neutral against chars with slides or special move like that is kind of akward..

Is there any material of high level play? Cause online feels like a complete string mashfest. :/

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
NRS games do not play like Capcom games whatsoever, so get that thought train out of your head.
Certain characters can hitconfirm, but the game itself tends to rely more heavily on good reads and setups.
If you haven't yet, you should explore option selects on hit vs block to make riskier options that lead to strong combos but are punishable into safer options on block.
Welcome to the party ;)

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Yes, there is TONS of footage of people playing. Look up TeamSpooky's stream channel and past broadcasts there was just a tournament last night. I come from SF as well, and it has been very strange learning footsies as well. you just need to learn the opposing character's strings and what you can use to punish.

Ive played mk9 for fun a long time ago, but i feel like i want to try mkx more competitive, at least online since i dont have any chances to go to offline tournaments. but online feels completly random at the moment. if anybody decent wants to play, please hit me up on steam :) my tag is v4ndals [ger].

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Which character do you use? Some characters have great advancing normals/strings, while others have to rely on d4's and such. Mileena's ball roll and b12 are her best footsie tools imo.

Which character do you use? Some characters have great advancing normals/strings, while others have to rely on d4's and such. Mileena's ball roll and b12 are her best footsie tools imo.
Lao and sub atm. But i really want to get into flame fist liu kang :(

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Lao and sub atm. But i really want to get into flame fist liu kang :(
Are you playing Grand Master Sub? If so, you literally control the screen. You occupy two places lol. I'm not sure about his other variations, but ice clone is your friend.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Yeah just Ice clone and huck ice across the screen. As long as you actually have a combo to do on a frozen opponent instead of just looking at them for a few seconds and then panic uppercutting, you'll already be better then half the subs online.

Are you playing Grand Master Sub? If so, you literally control the screen. You occupy two places lol. I'm not sure about his other variations, but ice clone is your friend.
yeah. dont get me wrong, im doing quite well in this game. i was just curious how high level footsies kinda look like. :)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Learn to control space and how to explore your character options in that space, once they start to respect it you can play footsies

:DOGE

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Get comfortable walking, back dashing, running, canceling run. Movement is key for being able to play footsies. D4,d3 and depending on your char a good normal or string for footsies.

Just like in any fighting game, you must study what other characters use for spacing footsies to get call comfortable

There are plenty hit confimable strings in this game in my opinion.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Whiff punish by running in and canceling into your string. The poke and counter poke game hasn't developed yet, so high level footsies right now is fairly basic.

NHDR

Noob
I've been watching some Kano (Cybernetic) play as of late. Some of the stuff looks kind of similar to how Ryu would play. Cancelling into knives with F4 and D4, AA'ing with up ball, and zoning with knives. I mention this since you come from a SF background, much like myself. Give him a look?

Houndovhell

Subby-Z is my Main Man, the Man that I Main
If you're on XB1 I can mentor you and your sub :3 but if not, then always feel free to message me for anything. Always open ^_^ work on maxamizing your damage, and what you can and can't punish. good luck! :D

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
The good characters have hit confirms and strong neutrals, you're probably playing a bad character lol.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
its not that different from other games. You just have to use all your movement options to whiff punish and Use your best pokes to control space and once they start respecting you walk up and throw or go for mixups. It's also important to interrupt strings when they whiff instead of just waitimg for them to finish.