What's new

How do you feel so far?

elephantvision

Your Cousins, Sisters, 1st cousins favorite gamer
So, MK has been out over 2 months now and.... I think it's finally starting to get stale to me. The fact that a ton of characters have some 14 strings and only 1-2 that are used is incredibly boring. I feel the game doesn't allow creativity. It wants to force you into only having 2-3 choices with a character.

MKX was a great game, they could have tone down some mechanics and life been good. I'm personally getting bored with MK11 and even the tournaments are fairly zzzzzzzzz. Matches look the exact same etc. I'm not saying, "hey join my hate for the game!" I'm just curious.... how are you feeling 2 months+ in?

Last edited:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
An NRS game never reaches its peak form until the end of Year One. It's a waiting game until then. Learn all you can, improve your reflexes, pray the patch gods are kind to you, WORK ON YOUR REFLEXES, and play actual humans you know as often as you can so that Ranked doesn't ruin your mind.

Personally, I'm feeling better than I thought I was going to.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
feeling ok and all right regarding MK11, however, I admit that the game, after the tournament season ends (most precisely, after Evo), needs the balance patch , to make things even more competitive and interesting for the others characters in the current roster .... and we need the upcoming DLC characters to be more well better promoted to the fanbase.

Last edited:

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I love this game. I play online and offline equally, and I am having a ball learning new characters and playing the towers. Ranked and online can be frustrating, but I don't find any of it super annoying. I love the wave dashing mechanic, I love all the wakeup options, I love that I don't feel like I'm in a blender constantly. I am really enjoying myself.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Apart from technical issues, I think the game is really fun and also fun to watch competitively. I have to admit I do miss MKX combos but that’s why I love playing Cassie she has a ton of options.

Other characters can get stale if you only have one or two combo paths with them. I feel like more strings should launch or give you the ability to extend combos.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
So, MK has been out over 2 months now and.... I think it's finally starting to get stale to me. The fact that a ton of characters have some 14 strings and only 1-2 that are used is incredibly boring. I feel the game doesn't allow creativity. It wants to force you into only having 2-3 choices with a character.

MKX was a great game, they could have tone down some mechanics and life been good. I'm personally getting bored with MK11 and even the tournaments are fairly zzzzzzzzz. Matches look the exact same etc. I'm not saying, "hey join my hate for the game!" I'm just curious.... how are you feeling 2 months+ in?
Just admit that you’re a casual MK player and you’re the kind of player that plays the story, learns some combos, watches a few majors and moves on to another game. There’s nothing wrong with that, but don’t act like your criticism is valid or some high level takedown. You’re bored with a game that’s barely come out, still has like 20% of the cast to be released, and we know that new variations will be added to competitive play per NRS. The game has some amazing new mechanics of which people are just scratching the surface of, the meta is evolving, characters thought to be bad or amazing are shifting around, etc.

The game places way more emphasis than MKX on neutral and matches are won and lost through spacing, whiffing/punishing, baiting options, using flawless block, teching throws, and strategically using krushing blows to cash out damage. At the highest level, so much more player individuality and skill is in full display than you’re acknowledging.

For example, your primary complaint is that characters use only a couple of strings when they often have many other strings that are underutilized.

Ok......DBFZ has the same couple button presses for all characters essentially. SFV’s characters usually have 3-4 buttons that define the character. MKX most definitely had the same situation, arguably worse for one key reason: MK11 has more useful strings, and truly useful, because there are lesser used strings that are tied to krushing blows.

This game is in a great spot for being new, most people I talk to love the mechanics and feel of the game. There was concern with the play test build in that movement felt sluggish, but I think it’s much better now.

For me, my biggest issue with the game is poking and the disparity/lack of balance with regards to the usefulness and practicality of different krushing blows.

I don’t think poking can be fixed without major overhauls to frame data across the board. I just think fast pokes need to be more negative on block to discourage people from machine gunning and mashing pokes. Maybe they could make characters main mid/pressure tools slightly faster instead or something so players can take their turn and not eat d2 krushing blows all the time.

Along with poking meta, the hit/hurt box issues are one of the biggest issues. I really hope they’re fixable. Iran not cool that certain characters like Johnny or Liu become so much worse due to whiffing problems. I wish nrs would address it and tell us if it’s intentional as some sort of balancing (e.g. certain characters are supposed to be worse against smaller hurtbox characters or whatever).

As for krushing blows/fatal blows, they just need to address them in a patch and give some characters more accessible/practical ones so that they’re not outclassed by characters like Geras, and finally I’d like a change to fatal blows. Maybe you only get one FB trigger per round even if blocked or whiffed. Hell maybe even just once per match. Certain character’s FBs are just so so strong and change the game to a crazy degree when on deck (erron black, geras). Maybe they need to be more unique. If geras and erron blacks are going to startup so fast and have amazing range, maybe they should do less damage or not be armored. I’m not suggesting those specific changes, just an example of what I’m thinking.

Otherwise, I think the game is incredible and MUCH better than mkx. Mkx was really fun and I love it, but there was so much dirt and cheap shit that just wasn’t satisfying to apply on others and definitely wasn’t fun to be looped in vortexes or forced to guess over and over, or be bullied by run cancel characters. Overall MK11 is more honest and I prefer it.

It’s ok to have preferences and not like the game but your post didn’t give really any meaty reasons, it just sounds like the opinion of a casual that doesn’t really know what they’re looking at. Feel free to expand on your point though and I’ll take back my dismissal of your comment.

elephantvision

Apart from technical issues, I think the game is really fun and also fun to watch competitively. I have to admit I do miss MKX combos but that’s why I love playing Cassie she has a ton of options.

Other characters can get stale if you only have one or two combo paths with them. I feel like more strings should launch or give you the ability to extend combos.
No doubt man. I'm over here playing Lao and almost every string I have is PUNISHABLE, not negative, PUNISHABLE lol. I get to use F1 and F4. Cool...........................................

elephantvision

Just admit that you’re a casual MK player and you’re the kind of player that plays the story, learns some combos, watches a few majors and moves on to another game. There’s nothing wrong with that, but don’t act like your criticism is valid or some high level takedown. You’re bored with a game that’s barely come out, still has like 20% of the cast to be released, and we know that new variations will be added to competitive play per NRS. The game has some amazing new mechanics of which people are just scratching the surface of, the meta is evolving, characters thought to be bad or amazing are shifting around, etc.

The game places way more emphasis than MKX on neutral and matches are won and lost through spacing, whiffing/punishing, baiting options, using flawless block, teching throws, and strategically using krushing blows to cash out damage. At the highest level, so much more player individuality and skill is in full display than you’re acknowledging.

For example, your primary complaint is that characters use only a couple of strings when they often have many other strings that are underutilized.

Ok......DBFZ has the same couple button presses for all characters essentially. SFV’s characters usually have 3-4 buttons that define the character. MKX most definitely had the same situation, arguably worse for one key reason: MK11 has more useful strings, and truly useful, because there are lesser used strings that are tied to krushing blows.

This game is in a great spot for being new, most people I talk to love the mechanics and feel of the game. There was concern with the play test build in that movement felt sluggish, but I think it’s much better now.

For me, my biggest issue with the game is poking and the disparity/lack of balance with regards to the usefulness and practicality of different krushing blows.

I don’t think poking can be fixed without major overhauls to frame data across the board. I just think fast pokes need to be more negative on block to discourage people from machine gunning and mashing pokes. Maybe they could make characters main mid/pressure tools slightly faster instead or something so players can take their turn and not eat d2 krushing blows all the time.

Along with poking meta, the hit/hurt box issues are one of the biggest issues. I really hope they’re fixable. Iran not cool that certain characters like Johnny or Liu become so much worse due to whiffing problems. I wish nrs would address it and tell us if it’s intentional as some sort of balancing (e.g. certain characters are supposed to be worse against smaller hurtbox characters or whatever).

As for krushing blows/fatal blows, they just need to address them in a patch and give some characters more accessible/practical ones so that they’re not outclassed by characters like Geras, and finally I’d like a change to fatal blows. Maybe you only get one FB trigger per round even if blocked or whiffed. Hell maybe even just once per match. Certain character’s FBs are just so so strong and change the game to a crazy degree when on deck (erron black, geras). Maybe they need to be more unique. If geras and erron blacks are going to startup so fast and have amazing range, maybe they should do less damage or not be armored. I’m not suggesting those specific changes, just an example of what I’m thinking.

Otherwise, I think the game is incredible and MUCH better than mkx. Mkx was really fun and I love it, but there was so much dirt and cheap shit that just wasn’t satisfying to apply on others and definitely wasn’t fun to be looped in vortexes or forced to guess over and over, or be bullied by run cancel characters. Overall MK11 is more honest and I prefer it.

It’s ok to have preferences and not like the game but your post didn’t give really any meaty reasons, it just sounds like the opinion of a casual that doesn’t really know what they’re looking at. Feel free to expand on your point though and I’ll take back my dismissal of your comment.
Well, I dismissed this after your first sentences, you don't have to respond to these threads you know? The post idea was to get peoples opinion on the game. If you want to write so much you can try working as a journalist. I also read your last sentence and I feel at no point will I be "taking back my dismissal of your comment." Thanks for playing!

fireborg

Noob
hmm honestly I liked I2 better, I loved firestorm and all... im not the type of guy who will stick with the old game tho, want 2 play what everybody competitive is playing

in general i think 11 helped me to improve in many areas because of the game design, so obviously there is something right with it meta - wise. Dont get me wrong its a great game, but somehow overall i dont get the same feeling / enjoyment , that I used to in MKX or I2.

Also for some reason I kind of get bored with characters more quickly (not sure if it is a matter of moveset). I already picked up quiet a few of them because of this, while in IN2 i was playing just a couple for a long period.

PS
Last thing JAX is a amazing char, but I find him bit slow and thus not really fun - big shame. And the coolest char in the game Liu is just a bad job moveset wise - boring braindead monkey 2 play. Geras feels similarly. Both of these chars I droped.

Last edited:

fireborg

Noob
oh, I forgot and want 2 share this although someone might call me a b**ch for it. the gore is bit over the top - honestly its bit dark now lol.

trust me I aint no weakling in really life, I just think the digital experience is getting super realistic and combined with MK brutal nature quite crazy =D whats next VR MK13 you will puke from?

AugustAPC

Not For Sale
Gameplay is solid, though lacking a bit of variety. Story mode was really good. Graphics are a technical achievement.

I do not like where the franchise is headed, stylistically, though. I hate this focus on "realism", when MK should be as absurd as possible. Practical armor is irrelevant simply due to the level damage these characters take. Costume design should be memorable, colorful and vibrant, like it was in MK9.

Honestly, the costume design just puts me to sleep. Ugly color swaps and lack of identity. I literally don't care about unlocking extra costumes because I would never use 95% of them. That's a massive problem to me. There's so much to unlock, and I should want to, but I have absolutely no desire to. Such a large part of this package is being rewarded with gear... yet it might as well not even exist, as far as I'm concerned.

I also hate this overuse of firearms. Up to MK3, we literally only had one character that used guns, Stryker, and that was because he was supposed to be an ordinary cop just discovering his potential. Why is Johnny Cage using a gun in story mode? The guy can throw plasma. Now Sonya's rings are something she can only do with her gloves? I thought she had the ability to project energy. Cassie using guns also makes her feel more generic... wish she did like a finger-gun that shot a combination of Sonya's rings and Johnny's plasma. Would totally fit her style and be way more fun.

Bring back the bright, impractical costumes, don't be afraid to show females' skin, stop making characters more grounded in reality, give them absurd powers, and bring back the trademark comedy (babalities, friendships, goofy secrets.) MK has lost part of its artistic soul and feels watered down in terms of style.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Gameplay is solid, though lacking a bit of variety. Story mode was really good. Graphics are a technical achievement.

I do not like where the franchise is headed, stylistically, though. I hate this focus on "realism", when MK should be as absurd as possible. Practical armor is irrelevant simply due to the level damage these characters take. Costume design should be memorable, colorful and vibrant, like it was in MK9.
I also hate this overuse of firearms. Up to MK3, we literally only had one character that used guns, Stryker, and that was because he was supposed to be an ordinary cop just discovering his potential. Why is Johnny Cage using a gun in story mode? The guy can throw plasma. Now Sonya's rings are something she can only do with her gloves? I thought she had the ability to project energy. Cassie using guns also makes her feel more generic... wish she did like a finger-gun that shot a combination of Sonya's rings and Johnny's plasma. Would totally fit her style and be way more fun.

Bring back the bright, impractical costumes, don't be afraid to show females' skin, stop making characters more grounded in reality, give them absurd powers, and bring back the trademark comedy (babalities, friendships, goofy secrets.) MK has lost part of its artistic soul and feels watered down in terms of style.
This, x100 MK11 looks absolutely stunning but I miss MKX costumes. They were way better, especially for the women.

It’s still really fun, but it needs a patch and to drop the silly preset variation thing in order to stop from getting stale, since it is just kind of the same stuff over and over.
I hope they’re not waiting a month until after EVO to release a patch because tying that sort of thing to tournament schedules is weird.

elephantvision

Honestly, the costume design just puts me to sleep. Ugly color swaps and lack of identity. I literally don't care about unlocking extra costumes because I would never use 95% of them. That's a massive problem to me. There's so much to unlock, and I should want to, but I have absolutely no desire to. Such a large part of this package is being rewarded with gear... yet it might as well not even exist, as far as I'm concerned.

I like all of this. I too LOVE the costume variation but hate lots of our options.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
I’ll say the same things I always say; there is a beautiful game in MK11, like maybe the best fighting game ever. The problem is that Scorpion, Geras, Sonya, Erron, and Sub Zero dont play that game.
Scorpion ignores neutral and enforced his game at will. You either guess and punish or you don’t.
Geras plays a throw loop and brain dead combo 50/50 with a neutral killing tracking projectile.
Sonya actually does play MK11 her damage and projectile are just wack af.
Erron plays the game but dominates the neutral way too much. Dude is just too good at everything.
Sub Zero is significantly weaker than the above but he can still play vortex.

When you are playing the rest the of the roster it’s an amazing game. Problem is you play these 5 more often than not because they are just flat better and lower effort than the rest. When two of them play each other it’s like watching a different game.
Scorpion particularly bothers me. Let me be clear; He is not Overpowered, the problem is that he slows the game pacing down to a crawl, and because he is so prevelent it creates the impression that MK11 is a slow game and that’s not a good perception.

Initially I shit all over MK 11 because of the towers and Krypt, but now that its been addressed, its probably my favorite MK with 9 being a close second.

To me the toned down footsie focused gameplay is more fun than MKXs frantic 50/50 juggle fest. MK11 just feels more stategic than X.

The other big thing is that I still havent learned half the cast yet. I've never even played as Kotal, Davorah or Geras, not to mention barely touched Kano, Kittana, Kung Lao, Jackie, Erron or Jax. I have months with this game until I'll feel like Ive run out of stuff to do.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
I didn’t think to comment on design and story.

I liked the story mode, it had the cheese and funny stuff that I love about MK. It’s genuinely fun to watch like a movie.

I do find the character designs a bit bland though. A big part of why I kinda settled on Cetrion for now; she looks and feels more unique than everyone else in that game. Her costumes are bright and colorful and I dig the nature thing.
However, even she has some boring costumes, and the notion that she looks a bit like dollar store comic book character is fair.
I think I will feel more excited when Sindel and hopefully Sheeva get here. I don’t really have a character that speaks to me yet, Cet is a “close enough for now” but I want the real thing.

I also like my Mortal Kombat absurd, flashy, and even sexy. This game takes itself a bit to seriously for what I like in an mk game but when you aren’t playing the fucked up 5 it’s so mechanically good that I forgive that.

Last edited:

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
i think its still kinda fun, the d1 grab spam meta can get annoying sometimes

and wow has it been 2 months ? time flies

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I’m loving it. The slower and more methodical gameplay is definitely more my style because I prefer the indica lol. This is the first MK I have taken online and I’m having a blast despite the nitpicks and bullshit. I love the new krushing blow system. The graphics are great, the story and dialogue are fantastic, the krypt would be perfect if it wasn’t for the economy. The endings I unlocked so far were cheesy and great. I don’t have much to complain about but I don’t play at a high level.

The only problems I have are the bland, unimaginative skins and the economy but those are small concerns in the grand scheme. Crappy ranked variations and KB requirements can suck too. I agree with others that the cartoony look is cooler. When it comes to games I prefer artsy fartsy design over realism in general.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I don't play much at all right now. I have a bunch of issues with the game but I don't even care to get into them; they're not going to be changed. I think my problem is that I keep hoping the next MK game will have MK9's core but improved along with some new bells and whistles and I just get disappointed when that inevitably doesn't happen. Don't even get me started on the Krypt, towers, or stupid bullshit wastes of time like AI Battle. Maybe I just need to git gud but I've lost nearly all motivation to do so right now. Guess I'll wait and see what happens with this mythical patch.