What's new

Discussion How Do You All Decide Who Your Main Is? Who is it and why?

Does more than a character fitting your play style play a role in the hunt?

• Yes

Votes: 56 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Not exactly sure...

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters

Wigy

There it is...
Also mileenas design in mk9 and mkx is basically, be a retard and chesse a win. Though now its 'have the top toools for fucking everything and cheese mode your way to win'

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Also mileenas design in mk9 and mkx is basically, be a (soap bar in my mouth) and chesse a win. Though now its 'have the top toools for fucking everything and cheese mode your way to win'
Yeah this one is really frustrating to me. They buffed her to the point to where she has no weakness. I'm not saying she's broken, I'm just saying she lacks nothing in any situation.
Top zoning
Top anti zoning
Top footsies, only matched by the other top tiers
Top anti airs, only matched by possibly Alien
Good pokes
Good mixups
Good damage

Before she was acceptable because she was serviceable in all categories making her good overall. Now she's fantastic in all categories making her GREAT overall.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Yeah this one is really frustrating to me. They buffed her to the point to where she has no weakness. I'm not saying she's broken, I'm just saying she lacks nothing in any situation.
Top zoning
Top anti zoning
Good pokes
Good mixups
Good damage

Before she was acceptable because she was serviceable in all categories making her good overall. Now she's fantastic in all categories making her GREAT overall.
Agree. Her sai is so annoying lol

Wigy

There it is...
Top zoning
Top anti zoning
Good pokes
Good mixups
Good damage

They need to sort that bullshit teleport with delayed sai. Impossible to punish properly.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
They need to sort that bullshit teleport with delayed sai. Impossible to punish properly.
Scorpion blows up the sai, as he can forward dash under it right afterms the telekick and whiff punish her clean if she air sais it, I think Alien can do it as well? Not sure which other characters are able to low profile the sai via forward dash

Wigy

There it is...
Scorpion blows up the sai, as he can forward dash under it right afterms the telekick and whiff punish her clean if she air sais it, I think Alien can do it as well? Not sure which other characters are able to low profile the sai via forward dash
most of the cast have to fucking armour to punish it. Shouldnt be a guessing game to punish that move without meter.

Protectobot

More Displacer Raiden, please! ;P
WOWsers! I never thought I'd revive this thread like this! I thought it might get locked first...more likely...

You're not the oldest. I used to play this...

...using this...
WHOA! I'm almost 40 but I guess ya got me beat! It must be weird for really young players to start out with MKX, only to find out there were so many games in the series before it. I remember when the game didn't have combos and each character had only 1 fatality, etc. I miss friendships though hahaa.

It's never too late! You should actually write a book.
Imagine: MKX! A Biography
Yeah, I should :p heehee and seeing how many replies this thread keeps getting, it INDEED is never too late O_O

My favorite MK characters are:
Fujin - not in
Smoke - in
Kung Jin - in
Rain - not in
Scorpion - in
Raiden - in

So if they are one of those characters, next step: getting a feel for them

If I like the way they play, I will learn and use them for about a week. If I feel like I can utilize them at a higher level, I'll stick with them.

I used Smoke on release but I didn't like his pressure/block string playstyle.

Raiden was the 2nd character I tried and I didn't like his weird movement...was kinda wonky imo

I didn't try Scorpion until recently and he relies on footsies but the tele keeps the opponent from spacing too well. Love it. He is my 2

Kung Jin, it's weird because he was my main the moment I saw him and that's usually how it is.

Ill adjust my playstyle to the character I just have the first impression on...luckily Kung Jin plays exactly how I like. Great spacing, a divekick, strong projectiles...so KJ is the perfect fit for me
Raiden was my favorite MKX character for this and MK9 but he got nerfed or normalized or whatever before I even tried the game, and I hated having to choose between his variations. I wish MOS was viable cos it looks fun but seems too gimmicky. I won't give up on him completely, though. It's funny you mentioned Kung Jin cos at first he seemed lame to me cos he's heavily weapons-based, but then I noticed he's also acrobatic (cartwheel smash and flip kicks and such) and dive kicks are pretty fun, plus his basic run-cancel combo is helping me break in the game, so I owe him a LOT so far; even though I haven't tried most of the roster yet!

I hope they put Fujin in the next one, since it sounds like the series isn't really finished yet (if it keeps making money and ppl want it, why not?!).

I like playing cocky assholes so I naturally gravitated towards Kung Jin. It just so happens that he's an anti-airing conversion machine with godlike range. The combination of both gameplay style and personality made him an insta main for me.
I didn't even realize he was cocky except when I won rounds and he'd mouth off to his opponents. I thought that category was dominated mostly by Johnny, and cocky characters usually get on my NERVES, but even JC is funny sometimes...like the Flash.

Goro because who else do you know that can pleasure 4 women at the same time?
LMAO. How considerate of Goro.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
WOWsers! I never thought I'd revive this thread like this! I thought it might get locked first...more likely...

WHOA! I'm almost 40 but I guess ya got me beat! It must be weird for really young players to start out with MKX, only to find out there were so many games in the series before it. I remember when the game didn't have combos and each character had only 1 fatality, etc. I miss friendships though hahaa.

Yeah, I should :p heehee and seeing how many replies this thread keeps getting, it INDEED is never too late O_O

Raiden was my favorite MKX character for this and MK9 but he got nerfed or normalized or whatever before I even tried the game, and I hated having to choose between his variations. I wish MOS was viable cos it looks fun but seems too gimmicky. I won't give up on him completely, though. It's funny you mentioned Kung Jin cos at first he seemed lame to me cos he's heavily weapons-based, but then I noticed he's also acrobatic (cartwheel smash and flip kicks and such) and dive kicks are pretty fun, plus his basic run-cancel combo is helping me break in the game, so I owe him a LOT so far; even though I haven't tried most of the roster yet!

I hope they put Fujin in the next one, since it sounds like the series isn't really finished yet (if it keeps making money and ppl want it, why not?!).

I didn't even realize he was cocky except when I won rounds and he'd mouth off to his opponents. I thought that category was dominated mostly by Johnny, and cocky characters usually get on my NERVES, but even JC is funny sometimes...like the Flash.

LMAO. How considerate of Goro.
I miss the old arcades, but online games are what I dreamt of as a young gamer.

This game's online blew me away -->

jaylee777

Juh-Mill-E
I kinda have a checklist of tools that I want my main to have.
1. I like to play a primarily rushdown character that likes to be in the opponent's face the whole time, but can hold their own in some situations from full screen.
2. The character NEEDS to have some type of reliable anti air to punish people that just like trying to jump in all day.
3. My character needs to have varying offensive options to mix the opponent up. Meaning if a character's main mix up is simply throwing out an overhead or low and hoping my opponent guesses wrong, I will not play the character. I like characters with good staggers that make opponents scared to let go of block and press a button.
4. I like a character with fast, advancing normals for spacing, footsies, whiff punishing, trip guarding, etc.
5. The character's overall design (appearance, personality, backstory, etc) also plays a role in deciding my main. There are characters who may have the tools I am looking for, but I simply will NEVER play them if I dont like their design. (ex: mileena & scorpion)

So with all that in mind, after the first week of the game I decided my main would be Johnny Cage and I haven't played anybody else seriously since.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I miss the old arcades, but online games are what I dreamt of as a young gamer.

This game's online blew me away -->
I miss the good old days of the XBOX 360. Kids are so spoiled these days with their PS4s and XBOX ONEs:DOGE

Reactions: GAV

BAYSE

puff puff give
glad you started this convo. happy to share.

I have several criteria.

1. they have to look cool first of all. and if they sound cool it's a bonus. i'm very much into the audio/visual experience. i fell in love with the sound of takeda's shirai ryu spear so i learned him first. i also love triborg's visuals and sound but i have yet to learn him. same with predator. i will never get into using jason because of the way he moves. he's very stiff and boring looking. definitely a bad fit for an mk imo.
  2. good mixup options. i like characters with combos that force your opponent to block high and low in the same combo. or at the very least have both a high and low combo starter.
  3. moves and combos need to come out consistently. some characters, like cassie, are really fun to use but i personally can't get their combos to come out every time because of the complicated nature of their move sets and combos compared to other characters.
  4. speed. i'm 36 years old and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. using a really fast character like jacqui, johnny cage, and tanya is really difficult for me because your input speed has to be pretty fast. i prefer characters on the mid-speed to slow-speed side, like kotal khan, kung jin, and tremor.
  5. wake-ups that have armor and can be used to start a combo. a bonus is if they have a high wakeup and low wakeup that both lead into combos, like crystalline tremor.

portent

Noob
I start with my favorite MK character, Scorpion. I then add in the character(s) I used from the previous MK, and then try any new characters I think look cool. In MKXL, it was Scorpion and Reptile. Reptile I didn't care for, so I stuck to Scorpion until Alien was released and then I tried and fell in love with Tarkatan Alien and that's who I play now.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
glad you started this convo. happy to share.

I have several criteria.

1. they have to look cool first of all. and if they sound cool it's a bonus. i'm very much into the audio/visual experience. i fell in love with the sound of takeda's shirai ryu spear so i learned him first. i also love triborg's visuals and sound but i have yet to learn him. same with predator. i will never get into using jason because of the way he moves. he's very stiff and boring looking. definitely a bad fit for an mk imo.
  2. good mixup options. i like characters with combos that force your opponent to block high and low in the same combo. or at the very least have both a high and low combo starter.
  3. moves and combos need to come out consistently. some characters, like cassie, are really fun to use but i personally can't get their combos to come out every time because of the complicated nature of their move sets and combos compared to other characters.
  4. speed. i'm 36 years old and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. using a really fast character like jacqui, johnny cage, and tanya is really difficult for me because your input speed has to be pretty fast. i prefer characters on the mid-speed to slow-speed side, like kotal khan, kung jin, and tremor.
  5. wake-ups that have armor and can be used to start a combo. a bonus is if they have a high wakeup and low wakeup that both lead into combos, like crystalline tremor.
This... is a paragraph... about... ME! Except I'm 7 years old not 36. (And I like them fast like Reptile!)

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I start with my favorite MK character, Scorpion. I then add in the character(s) I used from the previous MK, and then try any new characters I think look cool. In MKXL, it was Scorpion and Reptile. Reptile I didn't care for, so I stuck to Scorpion until Alien was released and then I tried and fell in love with Tarkatan Alien and that's who I play now.
You hate Reptile, and you love Alien and Scorpion.
You sir, are my enemy! :DOGE

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
78.6% of TYM chooses their character based on them fitting their playstyle?

I don't know who they're trying to convince me or themselves lol. Such bullshit lies

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
It's all about the character itself. I don't like super serious type of characters so I always go for the goofballs and johnny fit in there just perfectly when the game came out. I mean, you just can't beat yelling "honey I'm home" while demolishing sonya.

Fuck the Bug Cancels though. Spending hours on something in video games when I could be learning to code instead always bothered me.
This is either a shameless plug to bring up scripting that has nothing to do with the topic or the laziest mind-set on learning a game...or both. Pass