What's new

Question How do I effectively practice AAs?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Kung Lao, s1,b1,f2 (maybe) and spin/ex spin.
For Tempest your main AA is spin I believe. You need to learn to convert off of it flawlessly before anything else.
For Buzzsaw your low hat is also a good AA in certain situations, at least I've seen the top players use it that way on occasion.
The way you practice these is you record the opponent's strategy in Practice mode and then stand into it. It's best to not just record the jumping attack but a whole range of moves in which there is crossup and neutral jip.

For Tempest your main AA is spin I believe. You need to learn to convert off of it flawlessly before anything else.
For Buzzsaw your low hat is also a good AA in certain situations, at least I've seen the top players use it that way on occasion.
The way you practice these is you record the opponent's strategy in Practice mode and then stand into it. It's best to not just record the jumping attack but a whole range of moves in which there is crossup and neutral jip.
Idk about buzzsaws low hat. I think you mean you can zone with it and if someone jumps in from too far you can catch them. I can't really see a low hat that barely moves your hurt box and has a low to the ground hit box helping me much for any other jip that's not from rediculously far away but I guess I'll check it out.
As for the whole recording thing I don't think that is very helpful for real game situations. I will kno when the jip is coming so I'll be prepared. I want to simulate not knowing when the jip is coming so I can learn to react with the aa not predict

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Idk about buzzsaws low hat. I think you mean you can zone with it and if someone jumps in from too far you can catch them. I can't really see a low hat that barely moves your hurt box and has a low to the ground hit box helping me much for any other jip that's not from rediculously far away but I guess I'll check it out.
As for the whole recording thing I don't think that is very helpful for real game situations. I will kno when the jip is coming so I'll be prepared. I want to simulate not knowing when the jip is coming so I can learn to react with the aa not predict
Basically what you do with the simulating thing is you record a whole scenario. For example you want to AA Mileena's blocked air kick so you record her doing a full series of attacks, from full screen sai tosses to you getting in, blocking a few strings, and then one is cancelled into the kick. Or even the x-ray.
The only other way is to play against real opponents I'm afraid.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Are you really ripping him for maining Kabal? You were in ecstasy with pre-patch Tanya and you whined about NRS "ruining" her for weeks after they patched her.

Its cool man. Many brave tried to pick and win with Kabal, only few were successful. I had my 5 minutes with Kabal then I left him for Skarlet that consumed me entirely. @Eddy Wang can confirm, I was considered one of a top player. Kabal was a character I started to play with and never really exploit his IAGB or dash cancels to lets say Reo's level - in fact, very few did. But hey, as I said, the most important thing is what the other guy thinks and I know what I know.

Reactions: GAV

KrAdWeLL

Noob
I have recently switched mains and have had a hard time adjusting to the new anti air. Going to practice, recording a jip and anti airing doesnt really seem to help at all once you are in a real match. How can I practice anti airs or at least become accustomed to the new one?

Honestly, online training with a friend or Someone with with a good connection and go from there. Offline seems janky. Maybe you can pay someone to jump around with different characters while you practice online. I know highschool kids who would do just about anything for a few dollars. Maybe they can do some work release program for people in prison to help you with perfecting the art of AA. Food for thought.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The jump attack in MK9 and MKX work differently, before this patch, jump attacks were practically a priority normal, you needed to catch them before the active frame, now their hurtbox expands beyond the active frame 1 frame earlier, still sucks.

it doesn't tell how further expands and if during the active frame it stays expanded, there for either way you an still get stuffed for having good reactions. On top of that they are 15 active frame long, meaning it can be done way earlier it will still catch ppl trying to duck it.

On the left the green box displays the hurtbox, which is the vulnerability part of johnny cage during the jump kick, and red is the hitbox, meaning there is like no other way to anti air johnny if you don't hit him before this part of the attack, because his jump kick is basically untuffable, if you don't have armor don't bother countering

On the right is how jump attacks should've been designed, even on the active frame of the attack, the vulnerability box (hurtbox) expands beyond the active frame, this removes the priority effect on the attack since it doesn't hide the hurtbox behind the hitbox anymore, if you read an attack like this and you anticipate with a normal, there is no way cyrax will hit you and become unpredictable, which is what NRS should start doing on their games.

By any means doesn't imply that jump attacks are any weaker, they will still work as intended, but it will be just another regular normal but done from the air without priority since the trajectory is nearly impossible to avoid.

and don't even get me started on these attacks being plus on block dial string cancelable that are guaranteed for the added mixup, pure bullshit.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
The jump attack in MK9 and MKX work differently, before this patch, jump attacks were practically a priority normal, you needed to catch them before the active frame, now their hurtbox expands beyond the active frame 1 frame earlier, still sucks.

it doesn't tell how further expands and if during the active frame it stays expanded, there for either way you an still get stuffed for having good reactions. On top of that they are 15 active frame long, meaning it can be done way earlier it will still catch ppl trying to duck it.

On the left the green box displays the hurtbox, which is the vulnerability part of johnny cage during the jump kick, and red is the hitbox, meaning there is like no other way to anti air johnny if you don't hit him before this part of the attack, because his jump kick is basically untuffable, if you don't have armor don't bother countering

On the right is how jump attacks should've been designed, even on the active frame of the attack, the vulnerability box (hurtbox) expands beyond the active frame, this removes the priority effect on the attack since it doesn't hide the hurtbox behind the hitbox anymore, if you read an attack like this and you anticipate with a normal, there is no way cyrax will hit you and become unpredictable, which is what NRS should start doing on their games.

By any means doesn't imply that jump attacks are any weaker, they will still work as intended, but it will be just another regular normal but done from the air without priority since the trajectory is nearly impossible to avoid.

and don't even get me started on these attacks being plus on block dial string cancelable that are guaranteed for the added mixup, pure bullshit.

Thank You Eddy. Someone here thought Kabal was the AA solution back then.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Its cool man. Many brave tried to pick and win with Kabal, only few were successful. I had my 5 minutes with Kabal then I left him for Skarlet that consumed me entirely. @Eddy Wang can confirm, I was considered one of a top player. Kabal was a character I started to play with and never really exploit his IAGB or dash cancels to lets say Reo's level - in fact, very few did. But hey, as I said, the most important thing is what the other guy thinks and I know what I know.
OIM - Only I Matter

:p

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.

...but I see the direction MKX went and I like the progression. People hate that low profiling exists, but once they get that right - they can move on to angles. Right now, hitboxes are 2D - but they move on a 3D plane. Once hitboxes and hurtboxes exist on a 3D plane, direction of force will become a factor. In reality, you can't meet a jump attack head on - but you can deflect it from the side, top, or underneath. That option in 2D fighting games currently does not exist completely, but it does exist partly in MKX because of the movement of the hurtboxes on a 3D plane. It is seen by most as a detrimental addition to the game's mechanics, but I think they are going in a good direction. I remember in Madden 06 when they added the high pass in, everyone hated it - but Madden keeps on as a franchise because of new additions just like that one. In Injustice, they'll get it right - and they'll add directions of force on a 3D plane later. Then, something else will be unbalanced - but the process continues.

Sorry for the rant without any real applicable AA answers, but I like the direction the design team is taking in most cases. I can at least see their reasoning for many of their decisions. Once directions are added, hitboxes will see limitations not yet seen and hurtboxes will be accessible by bypassing hitboxes with moves that take advantage of the 3D plane. These moves will have to have considerably more defensive uses through less lengthy active frames and some recovery to keep them from being overpowered and spam-able, but slipping attacks using angles is going to become a thing - just like armor is a thing.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I have recently switched mains and have had a hard time adjusting to the new anti air. Going to practice, recording a jip and anti airing doesnt really seem to help at all once you are in a real match. How can I practice anti airs or at least become accustomed to the new one?
I actually made a tutorial video all aboot this. Maybe it'll help :)

I actually made a tutorial video all aboot this. Maybe it'll help :)

Nice video, even tho I already knew the anti airs to use its nice to hear the little tips

When you say that anti airing is better to be done by a read and then show the examples it doesnt really seem like it is a real read more like a be prepared in case of. So are you really reading and doing the anti air or are you just preparing with finger placement and mentally kinda like throw techs.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Nice video, even tho I already knew the anti airs to use its nice to hear the little tips

When you say that anti airing is better to be done by a read and then show the examples it doesnt really seem like it is a real read more like a be prepared in case of. So are you really reading and doing the anti air or are you just preparing with finger placement and mentally kinda like throw techs.
Well I think being prepared and reads are the same thing. You read they might jump and are aware and ready to AA if/when they do