What's new

Question How do I effectively practice AAs?

I have recently switched mains and have had a hard time adjusting to the new anti air. Going to practice, recording a jip and anti airing doesnt really seem to help at all once you are in a real match. How can I practice anti airs or at least become accustomed to the new one?

TwiztidOne

I don't know who that is...
I've always practiced anti airs in game. I'll either invite someone I know to play a set or go to player match and go for it everytime. like that's all I'll focus on is anti airing my opponent. at first it'll get you blown up a lot and it'll be frustrating but eventually you'll get the hang of it and it'll become second nature

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Practice mode. Set AI to jump forward. First find out what the most convenient anti-air is. Then find out what the best anti-air with regard to damage and difficulty.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Practicing the timing on AA's. Jump ins generally are of no issue to move since I can move back and space myself out. Now anti airing crossups can take a bit of time. Against certain characters with dumb jips like Sub it's a hard read most of the time u can react to it with a d2 or since I play Scorpion I would d4 early in the crossup as if it was an OS and if it is a crossup I can recover on time to d2 since it will autocorrect by then. Part of it comes down to experience and while Anti airing is slightly easier now. AA options aren't always the best but it honestly comes down to making a hard read and being able to adapt and figuring out ur character's best tools to deal with a certain situation.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Basically. Practice. Just keep playing and trying to AA. Maybe there's a better way to AA than what you're trying? I'm not sure lol. There's not much advice to give tbh

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I have recently switched mains and have had a hard time adjusting to the new anti air. Going to practice, recording a jip and anti airing doesnt really seem to help at all once you are in a real match. How can I practice anti airs or at least become accustomed to the new one?
Which character? What are its anti-air options?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
So, first off make sure you can reliably pull of the anti air in training mode and consistently convert. Learn which of your options beat which jump ins; when do you use s1, d2, jk, nap, armour etc.

Then go play some matches (online or offline if available) and make your focus of those games anti-airing. Don't worry about anything else but anti airing. You'll lose, and it will be frustrating, but after a while your anti-airs will be on point.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Some characters have great anti-airs, but not all characters can effectively anti-air in a traditional manner. The easy movement in MKX offers another alternative. Low profiling attacks are also an option. At some points and ranges, D2 can be used to effectively anti-air too.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
There are so many factors that are at play. Back in MK9 I was a AA maniac, here I am losing rounds because I still try to AA and it just doesnt work well. There some options better then the other and those you should look for. From there like some of the folks said, work your way through the lab room and then try to apply it in-game, in real match. You also need to learn different buttons, conversions. You need to be able to quickly adjust to the incoming jump attempted. If you look at competitive scene, a lot of people just block because AA are not consistent. Maybe one day they will work properly or perhaps not.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

There are so many factors that are at play. Back in MK9 I was a AA maniac, here I am losing rounds because I still try to AA and it just doesnt work well. There some options better then the other and those you should look for. From there like some of the folks said, work your way through the lab room and then try to apply it in-game, in real match. You also need to learn different buttons, conversions. You need to be able to quickly adjust to the incoming jump attempted. If you look at competitive scene, a lot of people just block because AA are not consistent. Maybe one day they will work properly or perhaps not.
It does make sense in reality though. Its just that all of our fighting games senses have been jaded by past games.

If someone jumps at you in a real altercation, its best to use that time to re-position and use their momentum against them. If you try to meet their force at the point of attack, that isn't going to give you a great advantage. Having a good friend and sparring partner who is a high level BB in Taekwondo has given me some perspective.

Skedar70

Noob
There is no universal works in all situations anti air. For example, Ferra Thor cant anti air with d2 like liu kang. You should go with your main into the lab to determine which his is best anti air. Also, the effectiveness of your mains best anti air changes depending on the jump in punch animation of your opponent. For example, Kotal, Sonya, Tanya kind of arc their bodies backwards so some anti airs won't work with them so you gotta use others. If you are having issues AA one particular character go into the lab and practice different moves for AA against jump ins and cross overs against that character. Usually the best options for AA are d1, d3, s1, and b1 but that is character dependent. Another thing is that AA in MKX is kind of a read you kind of have to be expecting it and react fast. One missed timed AA will get you hit but if your opponent is being a jumping bean then you can easily predict the jump and punish him.

Saltea Moonspell

It does make sense in reality though. Its just that all of our fighting games senses have been jaded by past games.

If someone jumps at you in a real altercation, its best to use that time to re-position and use their momentum against them. If you try to meet their force at the point of attack, that isn't going to give you a great advantage. Having a good friend and sparring partner who is a high level BB in Taekwondo has given me some perspective.

I dont know man... see the thing is we may interpret this case in so many ways.

Fact is, some people decided to give great AA tools to some and leave some out...

The way most think is based on previous experience, any, name it: SF 2, 3, 3rd Strike, KOF, MK and so on... some stuff is universal and it should remain that way.

I Am not going to block some wacko and let him give me that stupid brainless flip coin game, f@uk man id rather lose.

There is no point in going deeper because we've been down this road before. I just wanted to Drop of some ideas - Peace.

GAV

I dont know man... see the thing is we may interpret this case in so many ways.

Fact is, some people decided to give great AA tools to some and leave some out...

The way most think is based on previous experience, any, name it: SF 2, 3, 3rd Strike, KOF, MK and so on... some stuff is universal and it should remain that way.

I Am not going to block some wacko and let him give me that stupid brainless flip coin game, f@uk man id rather lose.

There is no point in going deeper because we've been down this road before. I just wanted to Drop of some ideas - Peace.
It wasn't meant as contradictory. It was just meant to give a different perspective to the OP.
I know you know how to AA. I meant no offense.

Saltea Moonspell

It wasn't meant as contradictory. It was just meant to give a different perspective to the OP.
I know you know how to AA. I meant no offense.

No offense taken. Take it easy, I Am free and barely win anything ;) Just happen to play few games here n there.

GAV

No offense taken. Take it easy, I Am free and barely win anything ;) Just happen to play few games here n there.
I was competitively relevant for a while in Madden, but no longer. I still blow out pretty much every highly ranked Madden player because rank means nothing. Has beens still have an easy time with never wuzzes. :p

This forum is ever expanding. Your words are to be respected regardless of whether you can kompete with the top guys anymore. The work you put in gives you perspective.

There is no universal works in all situations anti air. For example, Ferra Thor cant anti air with d2 like liu kang. You should go with your main into the lab to determine which his is best anti air. Also, the effectiveness of your mains best anti air changes depending on the jump in punch animation of your opponent. For example, Kotal, Sonya, Tanya kind of arc their bodies backwards so some anti airs won't work with them so you gotta use others. If you are having issues AA one particular character go into the lab and practice different moves for AA against jump ins and cross overs against that character. Usually the best options for AA are d1, d3, s1, and b1 but that is character dependent. Another thing is that AA in MKX is kind of a read you kind of have to be expecting it and react fast. One missed timed AA will get you hit but if your opponent is being a jumping bean then you can easily predict the jump and punish him.
I already know my AAs I just need to adjust to them and know their limits. Kung laos spin is a lot different than Lui kangs d2 and s1 so I was trying to see if there was a way I could practice the anti airs in a realistic setting